I really want to grow my hair to the mid of my back!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ22

My goal is to grow my hair to the mid of my back near my waist. Right now my hair is shoulder length. I want to make that goal before I turn 30 years old. I'm 25 now and will be turning 26 in September. The only thing I know that help my hair to grow so fast and well...is sew-ins. And keeping it moisturized while braided. That is all. Are their any vitamins that help stimulate hair growth or any supplements? Please do not say dieting. Right now I'm dieting and drinking water almost all day everyday. I eat lean and extremely clean. So I don't know what else to do or say. Are there any members who have grown their hair to the mid of their back and near waist length? What did you do? How long did it take? How many years? What do I need to do? All I can think of is wearing sew-in wigs or sew-in weave period...I dunno what else. My hair is uneven. The front of my hair broke off badly and now I'm tryin to regrow it for the 10th time. I've always had well hair that was even and grew fine and fast and years later...it went through some changes...and it's my fault.

FroFab

Be patient and keep reading. You will go through some trial and error but remember to stick with it. Nothing but time and care will truly get you a full, long crown of hair. You need to be careful of your hair health under your weaves. If its uneven and you mostly wear weaves anyway, maybe look into getting a cut to even it out and go from there. Pay attention to what your hair is telling you and try to only try one new thing out at a time and for a good amount of time so you can best determine how your hair reacts. Yes, vitamins are good for your hair but only after being good for your body so as long as you are in good health you should be on you way.

HHG (Happy Hair Growing)

Last edited:

FlawedBeauty

CJ22 welcome! If your hair is in bad condition to start then you might want to think about chopping off the damage first since you will be in weaves most of your journey. But even before that you should read through the weave threads and learn how to take care of and maintain your hair while its in hiding. Also, you will definitely need to learn how to take care of your hair in its natural state once you come out of weave or you could be back to square one within a year.

SuchaLady

5 years is more than enough time to grow it to mid back length. Do your research and get started on your journey. Do you have a regimen yet?

candy626

I am getting close to midback. My longest layer is there. Years ago i cut my hair to shoulder length and I think it took about a year and a half for it to get to about where it is now. I took multivitamins and limited direct heat. I rollerset every two weeks and wore wash n gos in between. The key is ensuring you have a healthy scalp and maximize retention by not breaking your hair off. I say give yourself less then two years or two years max.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Have you tried searching for old threads? There is a wealth of info on this site once you take the time and are prepared to do some reading. There are multiple threads on care of weaves/sew-ins, on breakage and ways to combat it. Aslo check out the length challenge threads (BSL, MBL, WL 2012) - there you will be able to see what works for ladies who have reached or aiming to reach those lengths. Make that search engine work.

And after you've read and gleaned all the info you can, then comes the being consistent and waiting part.

HTH.

NaturalBeauty<3

WOW 338 views and only 2 replies. Where is the help and love at?

Lol don't feel bad. Some viewers aren't aren't actually members, (lurkers) so they couldn't post even if they wanted to.

One of the main things I think you'll need for this journey is patience. I remember being just as eager as you are, and I should be making MBL in June.
Didn't happen as fast as I'd have wanted it to. . . but its gonna happen. :yep:
Just soak up the MOST information you can, and I promise it'll pay off.
Everyone on here is a testimony of that.

WyrdWay

Good luck on your journey and beware of bandwagons, the only person that is going to get you to your goal is you :D have fun learning!

TeeMBL

Lurker
I'm not mid-back, I'm APL and started close to EL. I just wanted to add that perhaps you haven't learned how to care for your hair when not in a weave or braids (neither of which make your hair grow, they just make retention easier). I jump started my HHJ with a sew-in, but in the meantime I was lurking on this site so I would know how to take care of my newfound length after removal. There is honestly so much to learn that you should do as previously directed and just start reading through some of the threads here.

Like I said I'm not MBL, but what has helped my growth has been minimal heat, minimal combing, air drying, protective styles, daily sealing, protein-moisture balance, and stretching. I take multi vits, but moreso for overall health not just hair growth. Sounds like a lot, and of course there's more to it, but once you stop concentrating on rushing the growth, it will all become second nature and the length will come.

Carrie A

WOW 338 views and only 2 replies. Where is the help and love at?

Sigh.... CJ didn't you read the other responses from the threads you started last month which basically ask the same question. Five years is time to grow your hair to your goal. You have to be patient with the process. Take a good multivitamin (I take GNC ultranourish hair). Protect your ends.. . sounds like your weave plan is ok just as long as you keep your hairline protected. Other protective styles like buns focus on end protection. Keep you hair moisturized/ conditioned and lightly trim your ends every few months. Minimize heat usage (you can rollerset for a change). If you do those basic things your hair will grow and look healthy.

Most of the setbacks where folks lost a lot of hair after they joined the board are due to excessive processing (double processing), going to a scissor happy stylist or "over-trimming", and postpartum shedding (which most recover from).

Go back and review the advice given in your Jan threads.:yep:
You can meet your goal and then some.

Last edited:

SEMO

I like Nioxin vitamins and feel they stimulate hair growth and reduce shedding. Also, I think it took me maybe three years to reach mid back length.

candy626

I want to correct what I said before. To get to full midback probably I would give yourself 3 years (though you can probably reach it sooner). The length of your torso could also determine how long it will take.

CJ22

Have you tried to copy and paste the old threads. I know how to make the search engine work. But If I want to ask questions then I'm going to ask them.

CJ22

Listen! If you have a problem with me asking the same question AGAIN! Then tough! You did not have to reply to this thread. PERIOD.

Honestly....you didn't have to. It's a forum. Ask as many questions as I want...even if I had asked 10x. Don't like it! Don't respond!

CJ22

Thank you to those who were nice enough to respond w/o the rude remarks and sarcasm. It shows the maturity of some and the immaturity of others.

CJ22

Sigh.... CJ didn't you read the other responses from the threads you started last month which basically ask the same question. Five years is time to grow your hair to your goal. You have to be patient with the process. Take a good multivitamin (I take GNC ultranourish hair). Protect your ends.. . sounds like your weave plan is ok just as long as you keep your hairline protected. Other protective styles like buns focus on end protection. Keep you hair moisturized/ conditioned and lightly trim your ends every few months. Minimize heat usage (you can rollerset for a change). If you do those basic things your hair will grow and look healthy.

Most of the setbacks where folks lost a lot of hair after they joined the board are due to excessive processing (double processing), going to a scissor happy stylist or "over-trimming", and postpartum shedding (which most recover from).

Go back and review the advice given in your Jan threads.:yep:
You can meet your goal and then some.

If you don't like the fact that I asked the same question AGAIN! Then tough! You were not obligated to respond.

RocStar

Listen! If you have a problem with me asking the same question AGAIN! Then tough! You did not have to reply to this thread. PERIOD.

Honestly....you didn't have to. It's a forum. Ask as many questions as I want...even if I had asked 10x. Don't like it! Don't respond!

Wow...calm down. Simmer down. Back up. Rewind.

Yes, you can ask any question you want as many times as you want. But just know that if you are not getting any response, perhaps that is why...

Just like you can ask any question you want a million times, people can respond with comments or answers you may not want to hear a million times.

It's just hair in the end.

Last edited:

CJ22

I like Nioxin vitamins and feel they stimulate hair growth and reduce shedding. Also, I think it took me maybe three years to reach mid back length.

I've heard of Nioxin Vitamins. I know this will take time and dedication. Just asking for advice and a few tips. Because I know I have been doing some thing wrong

CJ22

GIRL! I love your hair!!!! GAWD it's beautiful. Keep it up! =)

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Wow.....just wow. That reaction was totally unnecessary. JMO

You can ask how many ever questions you like, start many threads. No one is telling you what you can and cannot do. As someone upthread stated, people can get tired of the same questions being asked over and over, especially if by the same poster, because that implies that you didn't take into consideration the replies/advice you were given previously.

There are a lot of helpful persons on this board. But coming at people in such a manner will not encourage others to be helpful to you - again, just my opinion.

Happy Hair Journey.

BostonMaria

Patience is key. I'm not a patient person, but with my hair I had no choice. I can give you a few pointers, but take my advice and tweak it since your hair may be different than mine.

- Amla powder is great to moisturize your hair and make curls pop. I do this every 4-6 weeks. You can follow the Ayurvedic threads for more info. A box of alma is cheap ($4 bucks) and can give me two treatments.

- Coconut oil. Buy organic coconut oil and it can last you months. You can add it to a deep conditioner, apply it directly to your hair as a hot oil treatment, or use it on dry hair for shine. There are so many benefits to using this on your hair. I sometimes add it to my Amla mix. Other great oils are avocado oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, and extra virgin olive oil. You can buy online or go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

- at night keep your hair in a satin cap. If you don't protect your hair at night you could be sabotaging your retention.

- Wash your hair at least once a week. My hair is dry and I can't go past 7 days without it feeling dry.

- buy a sulfate-free shampoo. It's less harsh and will help you retain moisture since our hair tends to be dry.

- my hair likes protein. I will do an Aphogee protein treatment (old formula) every few months or whenever I think my hair needs it.

- when I straighten I use a heat protectant. I like Chi's brand. I flatiron occasionally and am careful not to over do it. You don't want to fry your hair.

I stopped relaxing my hair and did the BC. Being relaxer free and doing my own hair helped me reach my length. Is that true for everyone? Probably not, but I believe that it was true for me. Most of us do our own hair and so I suggest you becoming a DIYer. I also rollerset my hair to stretch it. I cut my own ends every 12-18 months. You can find GREAT tutorials on YouTube on everything I've mentioned.

For me less is more. I don't do much than what I just posted and my hair is just fine. hope this helps.

ETA in 5 years you can definitely get to waist length. Just remember to be patient and try to be careful when trying new products especially chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

felic1

Hello CJ22 How are you? i am new to lhcf. i have been around about a year and have seen tremendous progress.i want to ask u something. have you ever had a baby? a hair journey is like being pregnant. first they tell u that u are. then u believe it. u take vitamins,eat well and rest. then u start showing!!!! after love, care, appointments(prenatal care) with lhcf members and some time ,u will have that beautiful result. stay encouraged!!!:yep:

OhmyKimB

Wow...calm down. Simmer down. Back up. Rewind.

Yes, you can ask any question you want as many times as you want. But just know that if you are not getting any response, perhaps that is why...

Just like you can ask any question you want a million times, people can respond with comments or answers you may not want to hear a million times.

It just hair in the end.

For emphasis

CJ22

LOL For those who are offended and keep on responding about how you did not like my response to the other poster. To bad. Get over it. Lets move on. What you say will not make a difference. Like I said before the sarcasm was not need it at all. The end! =)

CJ22

Hello CJ22 How are you? i am new to lhcf. i have been around about a year and have seen tremendous progress.i want to ask u something. have you ever had a baby? a hair journey is like being pregnant. first they tell u that u are. then u believe it. u take vitamins,eat well and rest. then u start showing!!!! after love, care, appointments(prenatal care) with lhcf members and some time ,u will have that beautiful result. stay encouraged!!!:yep:

Thank you that makes sense. Just looking for a few pointers. Ya know! Because I have seem some members up here with beautiful hair. I have seen some pics and I was shocked and also pleased. So here I'am asking a million questions because each members has done their own thing by reaching their hair length goals. I'm a bit excited but ppl are gettin so tight.

BostonMaria

CJ22 I forgot to mention that a great way to start off is by joining a challenge. If you're shoulder length maybe you can join a 2012 bra strap length challenge. There will be others to encourage you. Some of this stuff is trial and error and you might have to experiment with products. I was able to keep my eye on the prize (waist length) but had mini-goals along the way to keep me going. 5 years seem overwhelming but it goes by eventually. I made it to waist length along with the help of people that were in my same shoes. I wish you luck.

CJ22

CJ22 I forgot to mention that a great way to start off is by joining a challenge. If you're shoulder length maybe you can join a 2012 bra strap length challenge. There will be others to encourage you. Some of this stuff is trial and error and you might have to experiment with products. I was able to keep my eye on the prize (waist length) but had mini-goals along the way to keep me going. 5 years seem overwhelming but it goes by eventually. I made it to waist length along with the help of people that were in my same shoes. I wish you luck.

That is what I was thinking. I'm still impress with all of you ladies. I mean really. To actually see beautiful black women with long full healthy hair is remarkable. And crazy. Because I'm around a lot of females who wear weave and their real is very short and thin. So when I came on this site I was a bit skeptical. I told myself "there is no way real this has to be a joke..photoshop or weave hiding under their hair" But I was wrong. Because I was one of the naive ones who believed that black women could not grow long hair.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
If you don't like the fact that I asked the same question AGAIN! Then tough! You were not obligated to respond.

But you were mad when no one responded.
Now someone responded (in a perfectly reasonable tone) and you're still mad?

Girl. :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.