Does our hair grow slower? ..really?

summerof1990

I know that hair grows half a inch a month but do black women really see that? I'm looking at alot of journeys and see women start at should or armpit length and two years later they are only mid back. Are my measurements off if you start at shoulder length lets say today in two years should you be waist length. Thats a really long time. I see white friends grow that much hair in a year or less. It can be very discouraging =(
Starting today my ENDS of my hair will be on BOOT CAMP!!!:lol:

Glamourstruckk

The scalp is pumping out whatever your growth rate is--unless you have clogged scalp pores, improper nutrition, or scalp issues. So growth isn't the issue, it's retention. Not everyone has 100% retention.

faithVA

I agree its retention. When i wear extensions I can easily see my growth, which I am quite pleased with. But I have a hard time retaining my ends no matter what amount of protective styling I do. But even with retention problems, I can retain 4". And with the more I learn about my hair, I am having to trim less and less often.

summerof1990

I agree its retention. When i wear extensions I can easily see my growth, which I am quite pleased with. But I have a hard time retaining my ends no matter what amount of protective styling I do. But even with retention problems, I can retain 4". And with the more I learn about my hair, I am having to trim less and less often.

i want to do fake hair for the retention but its just not my thing....so i'll keep trying with my own

PennyK

Not only that, but we have to take into account trims and setbacks as well, when we look at hair comparison pics

greenandchic

I too agree about the retention thing. I went thought years not retaining much, but I never wore protective styles - ever. I also did daily wash-n-gos. When I started wearing buns several days a week starting in February, I retained more length in just a few months than I have in years.

HauteHippie

I agree with the above posters. You also have to account for the damage that comes along with rough brushing or our hair snagging on things.

I've never bought into the whole Black hair won't grow/grows slowly thing, unless there is a medical reason which is really about the medical reason and not race.

Also, there is a reason why a lot of posters advocate going to some place like the Hair Cuttery for a trim. When people talk their friend of another race growing their hair from this length to that length, I always wonder how short their friend cut their hair.

My friend donates her hair to locks-of-love about every 2.5 years. She got that Kate Middleton hair. She grows it out from about shoulder length to about waist length in 2.5 years, but she doesn't cut it to right at the top of her shoulders. It takes her about 2.5 years to get about 14 inches. That's normal. I used to think that her hair grew fast, but the last time she was kinda complaining about how long it was taking her to get hair hair back to the length she likes (MBL/WL). I think it was because she cut at around 2 years up to what I consider to be neck length (not bottom of ear length), but donated the same length of hair. It took her almost 3 years to get back to where she wanted to be.

Again, that is normal.

Also on me, shoulder length is about 10 inches and waist length is about 22 - 24, so yeah, it will take about 2.5 for me to get to waist length.

Last edited:

MrsHdrLe

The thing that irks me is "Why come I gotta wear my hair in ps most of the time to retain?" I just wish I could grow my hair w/o so much care, attention, and ps. Don't get me wrong, I have faith that my hair is growing and will grow, but whew, that's a lotta work sometimes.

bebezazueta

My 14 month progress is in my siggy. I retained 7 inches not including a few dustings. I wore my hair out alot during that time too. I'm just starting to PS aggressively to get to WL by December this year. So WHEN I do. It'll be SL to WL in 19 months! It's so doable OP. I'm relaxed 4A BTW. be encouraged!

summerof1990

My 14 month progress is in my siggy. I retained 7 inches not including a few dustings. I wore my hair out alot during that time too. I'm just starting to PS aggressively to get to WL by December this year. So WHEN I do. It'll be SL to WL in 19 months! It's so doable OP. I'm relaxed 4A BTW. be encouraged!

nice progress in the pic esp the first two.

Shelew

Nice retention!! What is your regimen?? :)

RoseTintedCheeks

I think our length just doesn't show up as soon just because of shrinkage. 1 inch of type 1 air appears longer than 1 inch of type 3 or 4 hair when it actually isn't.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I went from shoulder length hair to midback in 1.5 years. I probably got to waist length last year but I trimmed my hair a lot before cutting my hair to APL last August. My hair grew at the the average rate. Retention is the key and knowing how to take care of your hair.

Right now, I'm a bit past shoulder length but I haven't straightened since March or so.

I would suggest you take progress pics, they really help in letting you know how much your hair has grown.

MilkChocolateOne

You have to remember that 1/2 inch a month is average growth rate. Some people will have a rate less than average and some people will have a rate greater than average. Growth and the mythical notion of clogged pores is not the problem, retention is. Highly textured hair is harder to retain.

lilyofthenile

Retention is key.

Also scalps health, diet etc.
I've seen many black women able to grow their hair long in a short space of time but - it either breaks off, or they trim it due to damage, or it's hard to see due to shrinkage if they're natural.

Also straighter hair like type 1's and 2's tend to have their natural sebum go down the hair shaft without a problem and thus are more able to retain length because their hair is less dry and also 'easier' to handle due to its texture.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
LOL @ the OP's siggy.

Hair retention and length have everything thing to do with the individual person.

OndoGirl

I think Asians have amazing growth and retention , I have seen countless times 1(full)inch in less than a month.

Yes, I was just going to post this. I worked with a lot of Asians at one point, and their hair does grow amazingly fast. Faster than caucasians too. One of my former coworkers used to complain because she liked to keep her hair short and she had to cut it so often. Their hair strands are also very thick and tough compared to ours.

AuNaturalMaMa

Height, torso length, neck length, all comes in play too. Its so many factors. Another member and I could both go bald with the same growth rate and perfect retention but if her neck and toso are longer than mine it will take her longer to get to WL than me.

ezina

Yes, I was just going to post this. I worked with a lot of Asians at one point, and their hair does grow amazingly fast. Faster than caucasians too. One of my former coworkers used to complain because she liked to keep her hair short and she had to cut it so often. Their hair strands are also very thick and tough compared to ours.

I so agree. Asians (East Asians, in particular) also tend to have longer torsos so their hair may actually be longer than it seems. There are a handful of Asians in my school and if you watch the ones that dye their hair, they get like at least an inch of "new growth" in one month alone. They sure as heck grow their hair faster than Caucasian women with straight hair. (When I say Asian, I also mean south Asians as well as east Asians).

I'm speaking in generalities and my observations, of course.

Last edited: