Why does hair come out straighter and softer at the salon?

StarScream35

This has been the biggest mystery I have yet to solve. Maybe you guys can help. I've tried and tried to get my hair salon smooth and straight. I've bought expensive flat irons, spent lots of money on products and still when I do my hair, it lacks the luster and softness. Are they simply using a high amount of heat or something?? Something over 420 degrees? What's the secret? I know somebody out there knows.

Last edited:

niqu92

i have no freaking idea i was actually wondering the same thing

my stylist doest even use flat irons on me she just rollersets my hair and blow dries the roots and it always comes out so soft,shiny,and lush.on top of that after she does it my hair doesnt tangle,break or shed for the whole week so i retain a lot of length.The only brands she uses are Alter Ego, Design Essentials, and Morrocan Oil. i dont know what the secret is but my hair comes out 10x better when its done by her instead of me doing it.
After some intense thinking i decided that i would go to my stylist every week or 2wks for a rollerset since she only charges me $19 and so far my hair has never been better

NaturalfienD

I am dying to know the answer to this mystery as well ... hopefully stylists will come in with their insight about this. :yep:

Keen

I don't know for sure. But my Theory is the type of dryers, the products and application method.

BlackMasterPiece

If you have all the best tools and all the right products and your straightening sessions still don't rival that of the salon then the missing link is your technique.

My presses are better and healthier then anything I've ever gotten at the salon.

The key for me is stretching my hair to the max prior. The healthier way to do that is via a braidout or rollerset airdried. You could also get that in a less healthy way via blow drying. And then proceeding to flatiron using paper thin sections. My hair comes out so smooth silky and sleek this way.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

silkii_locks

If you have all the best tools and all the right products and your straightening sessions still don't rival that of the salon then the missing link is your technique.

My presses are better and healthier then anything I've ever gotten at the salon.

The key for me is stretching my hair to the max prior. The healthier way to do that is via a braidout or rollerset airdried. You could also get that in a less healthy way via blow drying. And then proceeding to flatiron using paper thin sections. My hair comes out so smooth silky and sleek this way.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I agree with this. They def use super thin sections when flatironing at the salon.

CrissieD

I want to know this too. My hair is straighter & more silky w/just rollers @ the salon than with a blowout + flatiron @ home

StarScream35

BlackMasterPiece

I really wish I could find that mixing link. My thoughts are leaning towards the amount of heat because even the Dominicans can get it nice n silky. It's gotta be. What else could it be? I've bought the same exact hair care products they use and still get rough hair.

amwcah

The next time you go to the salon, study exactly what is done to your hair so you can perfect your technique and application of products.

30something

Who knows....I'm guessing that they have been doing hair for years, while we usually only straighten our hair a few times a year. It took me 7 months of frequent straightening and $240 worth of salon quality tools to even get it like the salons and they probably still do a better job. Plus they usually use more heat and techniques that we either can't do or not willing to do.

Zaz

Probably for the same reason you cant get your food to taste as good as the way they make it at your fave restaurant even if you were given the recipe :ohwell:
We're not pros and haven't had as much practice, its (Mindanao :perplexed) kinda like how that 1st pancake is always a wreck, every time I straighten my hair it's like that 1st pancake :nono:

This auto-correct is ridic, how it came up with Mindanao instead of kinda :lol:

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Stylist chiming in!

This is the number one questions I get asked or the number one problem that clients have.

1. I would say that it is more of a practiced hand than anything. Just think, stylist do hair all day every day so the technique becomes flawless over time.

2. I think another thing too is that most people at home use way too much product on their hair and it comes out weighed down regardless of whether proper technique is used.

3. Flat ironing on hair that has been previously straightened by the blowdryer is also key to getting the smooth salon results.

4. Also, taking smaller sections and flat ironing (with the comb chase method) in the direction you want the hair to lay seals the deal and gives you soft smooth results.

5. Be sure to deep condition before flat ironing.

I have a couple of videos in my YT about flat ironing and blowdrying. The lighting is not so good but I'm working on more clear vids for future tutorials.

HTH

MissAlinaRose

dontspeakdefeat

I have to echo Bighteyes35...thank you for that invaluable information. It really is helpful. I can never get the silky smooth salon finish when I straighten as you can see in my avatar and I've tried doing what everyone has suggested.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I only straighten a few times a year and don't use enough heat for my thick hair.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Experience, good products, technique, and application.

It took me a 4 years, but now I can flat iron my hair just as good as my stylist. I suspect styling and rollersets will take just as long to master.

Practice really does make perfect.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
@dontspeakdefeat

I have to echo Bighteyes35...thank you for that invaluable information. It really is helpful. I can never get the silky smooth salon finish when I straighten as you can see in my avatar and I've tried doing what everyone has suggested.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I only straighten a few times a year and don't use enough heat for my thick hair.
You're welcome. Your hair is gorgeous!

If you came to my salon I would use no less than 410 degrees on your hair.

Raspberry

@dontspeakdefeat I caught up looking at your vids, you do great work!

Love your business logo :), always happy to see black women doing their thing...

You were one of Reniece's apprentices right?

Well everyone who has been trying to get on Reniece's waiting list should give you a call!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Raspberry
@dontspeakdefeat I caught up looking at your vids, you do great work!

Love your business logo :), always happy to see black women doing their thing...

You were one of Reniece's apprentices right?

Well everyone who has been trying to get on Reniece's waiting list should give you a call!
Thanks! You are too sweet.

Yes. I did train with Reniece in 2010. It was an awesome experience!:yep:

Last edited:

MissAlinaRose

Brighteyes35 We'll just have to learn together!! My hair just puffs up right after flatironing. I have to put it in a bun/pony in order for it to actually "lay down" so to speak. But then there's a dent in it afterwards which is not very attractive lol.

Maybe it's because our hair is just not "trained" to accept heat on top of our techniques. I don't know I'm just rambling.

Embyra

Hmmmm I guess I should get over my fear of heat but flat ironing on 400....leaves me a lil nervous to be honest

GoodMernin

I usually flat iron on 390 degrees and when I flat iron, I deep condition prior and use very small sections and use two passes with a couple taps at the roots.

I did it last night and came up with this.

The first pic is directly after flat ironing last night and the second pic is today after sleeping on it wrapped up.

Attachments

• flatironed.jpeg
    flatironed.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 37
  • flat ironed.jpeg
    flat ironed.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 37

mezzogirl

i have no freaking idea i was actually wondering the same thing

my stylist doest even use flat irons on me she just rollersets my hair and blow dries the roots and it always comes out so soft,shiny,and lush.on top of that after she does it my hair doesnt tangle,break or shed for the whole week so i retain a lot of length.The only brands she uses are Alter Ego, Design Essentials, and Morrocan Oil. i dont know what the secret is but my hair comes out 10x better when its done by her instead of me doing it.
After some intense thinking i decided that i would go to my stylist every week or 2wks for a rollerset since she only charges me $19 and so far my hair has never been better

Bold: Where do you live? I've never seen $19 for a wash and roller set. I would love to try out your stylist.

reeko43

I have been flat ironing my hair for almost 25+ years. Ir is so true that practice makes perfect and small sections make the difference. I would never use a lot of product because i wanted maximum swing. Also, I think the blowdrying technique plays a role as well. People always thought I went to the hairdresser whenever I did my hair. But, I will say, I didn't know anything about heat protectant and using too much heat either :(