Why doesn't my hair look like it was done in the salon every time I do it?

seraphim712

Hello all this is my first post on this site. I just want to say how excited I am to find a forum with hair care tips for African American women. Now, on to my topic.

I find it very frustrating that every time I go to the salon to get a wash and blowdry, I leave with clean, straight hair that is smooth and silky to the touch. I decided that since I'm in college, that I would save up on money and do my hair myself once a week. I asked my stylist the procedure in doing my hair to get the same results as I would from a salon. I follow the procedure, but every time I do my hair, it comes out very dry and reverts back into it's natural state (which is very coily, like a bed spring or slinky toy). I try to straighten it out with a blow dryer and a flat iron exactly like my stylist does at the salon, but I do not get the same results.

Am I doing something wrong, or is my stylist using products that I need to use?

Hair products I use : Olive Oil Aloe Shampoo, Olive Oil Deep Conditioner, Olive Oil Mosturizing Lotion and LeKair's Cholesterol every once and a while.

Hair appliances I use: Conair Ion Blowdryer, CHI flat iron/ round hair brush or flat panel hair brush with the round balls on the end, fish comb ( a double-sided comb with three rat tails)

moda

It could be the products or the appliances, but usually in my case it has been the products. I used to always have the same gripe about why my hair never looked salon quality when done at home, I made a few changes to my hair products and now I can do a comparable job to my stylist. Do you know what products and appliances your stylist uses?

seraphim712

He uses the products provided by the salon. I go to the DASS salon and spa at my local mall.I would buy the products, but they are very expensive. I also thought that my hair didn't turn out the same because it's natural and not relaxed. I'll try to post pictures of my hair on the forum in the future.

pink_flower

I think its techinque. So just practice.

I have a old hairdresser who always gave me the best flat iron job with the cheap old gold n hot iron from Sally's. I can never replicate it- even with my pricey Sedu. I'm close though.

seraphim712

Would it be better if I started rollersetting my hair instead of trying to use a brush and a blow dryer?

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
I'll preface this with, I sometimes come off as rude or sarcastic and I don't mean it this way at all.

Had you ever thought it's because he's trained to do such and this is why he gets paid to do such? It takes lots of practice to replicate those results.

The only person that straightens my hair better than me is my grandmother. And she has 12 sisters and 7 daughters and a full head of hair of her own she took care of. I personally think it's the practice. If I actually flat ironed my hair more than once or twice a year, I'd be a pro.

thefineprint

i agree that technique may have a lot to do with it but many women here do their own hair at home and it comes out fabulous. definitely try using different products and if he is a good stylist he will tell you what he is doing when you ask.

Qetesh

I will agree with most of the posters so far its technique. Your stylist does this for HIS JOB, he is doing hair ALL day, and you only do your hair when you need it done (or if u have kids ext) my point is you don’t get paid to do it so your skill level is probably nowhere near his. I am not saying you will never be able to give yourself salon results but its going to be a long road of trail and error.
Products do also play a small part, if you want results exactly like his it wouldn’t hurt to start out on the same playing field with the same appliances and products.
Personally I have 1 stylist who does my hair like :eek: I cant duplicate it either and certainly not with the ease and quickness of her, she is also the owner of the salon and for good reason. I can however give myself better results than some of her staff, so right now I am at a happy medium and I am fine with that. The fact is I know what I do for my hair will have care involved some stylists pull too much or burn off my edges, I don’t want to be in a situation like that again.
I also want to note (hope I am not rambling) some things you do to your hair like blowdrying is not something that can very easily be done to yourself so you may want to opt for rollersetting or something easily accessible to do for yourself,

Mizani_Mrs

I think it's all 3 factors mentioned above. I think the quality of the products play a small role in it. Your stylist probably use salon quality products (surprisingly not all salons do). And from my experience my hair behaves better with salon quality because it controls the hair and yet doesnt weigh it down. And a large factor is technique, but do not be discouraged...practice makes perfect... give yourself a few months to get to know your hair and what technique works better. What i think is another major factor is the amount of heat applied...i think this is the trick that stylists don't tell you about is they use a major amoount of heat to get the hair straight. Yet when i'm at home...i'm scared to use that same amount of heat. So but dont worry... you'll get better...

seraphim712

Thanks everyone for the advice. I do agree with what you said about the stylist and I do realize that he does this as a profession. I just want to be as good so I won't have to depend on a stylist every two weeks and so I can learn to take care of my hair myself. I am going to practice some more and this time instead of a blow dryer I will use the magnetic rollersetting technique. Again thanks for your help. :D :D :D

lana

I get salon results by using great products and great equipment. I'm natural and so I used to find it difficult to blow dry and press my hair and get it swinging. Now I use Redken Smooth Down - then entire line and the Maxiglide to "press" my hair straight and I either pincurl or bump my ends with a flat iron (Sedu).

But I acquired the equipment overtime to fit my budget. I have saved a ton of money by doing my hair myself. I will go back to the salon only for things that I can't do on my own. But even then I'd rather ask a trustworthy friend for help.

Let me just say that I didn't realize how important sealing the cuticle was in getting my hair straight and shiny. For me - that's the key. I wish you the best on your hair journey.