Why is it so hard to pay the price you were quoted at the salon...

tmhuggiebear

Ok this is a small vent because I am beyond annoyed.

I've been shopping around for a new stylist for a while now. The one I went to in the past was great, but I just can't afford her prices anymore.

So I've been to three different salons in the past few months and asked how much a certain service would cost on a certain type of hair ect. They would all give me a price but then when it's time for me to actually get it done the price miraculously rises.

This particular time I needed to get a trim. I called one salon and went into the salon the told me that a wash and cut would cost $25. I go there today get my hair washed and cut and suddenly it cost $60. I was so irritated. First of all, all the did was wash my shoulder/apl length hair, straighten and only cut 1/4 inch. There was no protein treatment, no deep conditioning no major styling, etc. But suddenly the price had to inflate to twice the amount they previously quoted me. If I was going to spend that much than I would've continued going to the lady I was used to seeing.

This is the third time it has happened to me. So I would like to know why is so hard for salons to quote you the actual price they told you before. Is this a scam or am I missing something? Because I am really sick of this.

Blairx0

I really think they make it up and keep it low to get you in the door and then when there is work to be down they find reasons to charge it up. The only people I know who stickw ith the quote are those that I would consider expensive in the 1st place.

manter26

I always ask the price again before I get to the shampoo bowl. If it's a lot higher than quoted or higher than what is reasonable, I get up to leave and magically the price comes back down again. Occasionally, the price doesn't come down but they throw in a deep condition or steam.

I expect to pay more for length, thickness, curl pattern, etc... but I don't like when stylist try to get over on me.

Seamonster

That is definitely a scam. Maybe you need to confirm your price as you sit in the chair. Then say good, because that is all I have right now.

tmhuggiebear

For this particular place, I called and they told me $20 & up so I asked what would qualify "and up" The lady told me it depended on the length of hair and thickness. I asked how much natural shoulder lenght would cost. They told me that they would need to see it. So the next day, I went to the salon so they could see my hair. After that they said it would be $25. I made my appointment for a wash and cut for two days later (today)

Now suddenly, it cost $60 despite having seen my hair before because of the time it took, etc. I call BS. I'm just so irritated. I didn't have time to question after because I had to drop someone off at the trainstation. But once I get home, I'm calling to question this. This is ridiculous.

I will have to do what you other ladies do and just ask before my head touches that bowl.

Last edited:

missliberia

For this particular place, I called and they told me $20 & up so I asked what would qualify "and up" The lady told me it depended on the length of hair and thickness. I asked how much natural shoulder lenght would cost. They told me that they would need to see it. So the next day, I went to the salon so they could see my hair. After that they said it would be $25. I made my appointment for a wash and cut for two days later (today)

Now suddenly, it cost $60 despite having seen my hair before because of the time it took, etc. I call BS. I'm just so irritated. I didn't have time to question after because I had to drop someone off at the trainstation. But once I get home, I'm calling to question this. This is ridiculous.

I will have to do what you other ladies do and just ask before my head touches that bowl.

I would go with EXACT cash next time. Do you ever mention that you were already quoted a price?

tmhuggiebear

I would go with EXACT cash next time. Do you ever mention that you were already quoted a price?

Yup. I do. And I did this time, but they said it cost extra because of the amount of time it took to finish. It only took an hour.

I didn't have time to fight because I was in a rush. But I plan on going there tomorrow to complain.

Newtogrow

Yup. I do. And I did this time, but they said it cost extra because of the amount of time it took to finish. It only took an hour.

I didn't have time to fight because I was in a rush. But I plan on going there tomorrow to complain.

Since you went in and showed them your hair, I would have stuck to the original price. The time in which it took them to complete your hair is their business not yours.

ChocolatePie777

If theyve seen my hair and quote me a price than when they are done change it...I am not pla hi ong that...I pay what was quoted and leave...never to return

nysister

This happened to me once, over 10 years ago, because my reaction would have been different now. Anyway it was expensive in the first place and I never went back. I'm not sure if he didn't remember what he quoted or if he was trying to scam me, but I paid him (sigh) and didn't go back.

tmhuggiebear

So after emailing them to express, my dissatisfaction and being mislead this is the response I got:

Hello,

We are sorry to learn about your disappointment at our salon. We charged our regular specified prices for your service. We work hard to provide every client of ours friendly and personalized service at our salon. We want our clients have a good experience each time they come to our salon. We treat all our clients with courtesy and respect because we want them to come back. We want to extend a $15 credit to you for your next wash and cut appointment at our salon. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to see you soon.

Thank You

Salon Management

And this is what I said in response. I know I was a bit mean....

Thank you for the credit but it's not necessary. I won't be returning as you don't seem to get the issue. I was mislead by people at your salon into believing a price was much less than it actually was. I couldn't even afford to tip your stylist at the point which I felt very bad about. I don't appreciate being mislead. It would be completely different if I was told that it could possibly go up to $60, but I wasn't. It would also be different if the price was inflated by only a few dollars, but it wasn't. You gave me a price that was $25 more than my original quote.

Regardless, if you supposedly charged me "the regular specified prices" you are way to expensive. I'm used to paying that price after at least getting a deep condition or relaxer by someone who has done hair for celebrities on BET, The Chef, famous runway models, etc. - not a local salon. Furthermore, that person would charge me that much while providing me a head massage at the shampoo bowl, a glass of wine as I waited, as well as a bowl of grapes. I got none of that at your salon.

Furthermore, you still never answered my questions as to why it cost $55 for shoulder length hair. Maybe if you would answer that question, I would feel better about paying that much again even though I was mislead. You just gave me the "generic" answer that you probably give everyone that may raise an issue. At least sign your own name!

It's a shame that no one is understanding that I felt mislead especially since the stylist was actually very nice and good at what she does.

Brwnbeauti

I had a beautician do this to me, my hair wasn't even shoulder length. I sat down to get my touch up and when she finished she was like 80 instead of the usual 70. She was like well I did this treatment...bla bla bla. I looked her in her eye and told her I didn't ask for that. Here is your seventy, good day!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Brwnbeauti

All I had on me was 70$ and 70$ is a lot of money. Shoots I'm a teacher, as the kids say " she can get on down with that!"
Next time just take the exact amount. I mean what can they do? I'm sure it won't be with that salon but just the next time that's a way to avoid paying extra.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

MKBeauty

This sorta happened to my sister. When my sister refused to pay the extra the beautician stood behind her car so she couldn't leave. My mom and I was about to go down there and it was about to go down. But my sister just ended up paying her the rest to get out of there. The lady is stupid because my sister gets her hair done every two weeks without fail (unless she's in braids or a sew-in) so the lady lost a lot more then she gained.

That's why I don't go to hair shops. Costs too much, takes too long, and the hair dressers nine times out of ten don't know anything about customer service. And then want a tip. :nono:

spelmanlocks

I always get the price before the stylist does my hair. Years ago when I had a relaxer I had a stylist tack on an extra $30 because she claimed she had to use two relaxer applications and failed to tell me this until it was she was complete. After arguing about it, I told her I wasn't paying anymore than what we agreed to and walked out. If I were you I would ask them what is the price upfront and let them know I plan to pay no more than the price they tell me.

bklynbornNbred

Have you spoken to your old stylist? Instead of shopping around and risking a mishap with a new person how about seeing if you can work out a price you can afford?

If you go regularly she may be able to work out a set price you can budget around instead of what she charges a walk in that may or may not come back for the same service. If its a matter of keeping a long term client she may very well work with you. If DIY in between salon visits isn't an option try to figure out a way to stick to the stylist that you like. Bait and switch happens and sadly you get what you pay for. Going with the lowest price is asking for a setback.

nelcoy

This is why I got on you tube and learned how to do my own hair. This has happen to me plenty of times when I use to go to black salons. I then started my transition going to Dominican salons because it was cheaper, but I stopped because of heat damage.

tmhuggiebear

ITA. You were quoted a price for wash & cut but you also got your hair straightened. I believe that's why you were charged $60.

Nope that wasn't it. They told me that was part of their "wash" They blow dry the hair straight normally.

Although, I wish that was it because at least that scenario would have made sense.

kellistarr

It sounds like a scam to me. I would confirm price before my head hits the bowl from now on. If the price is more than you understood it to be, then leave. I'd let them know up front what the quote was and what's in my pocket. The answer of "due to the time it took" isn't acceptable.

lovebug10

WHen they quote you is it over the phone? normally the price for shorter hair is less than for longer/ thicker hair because stylists consider it "more work." I would suggest you going in person to have them see your hair and quote you and then book your appointment right then. i would do that and if the day of my appt the price went up id be like look i have $XX because you said that was the price. ive done it before.

I had a normal hair stylist at my favorite salon and she quit but i wasn't aware. so the day of my appt the head stylist did my hair and tried to charge me $90 instead of $40 that my old stylist charged. I told her that my appt was not with her and if there was a price difference she should have called to tell me. i payed my $40 and went on my merry way out the salon.

genesislocks

I experience the same thing at my salon! I call in every time and ask how much a blowout is on natural hair and they tell me $50, when I leave I always end up paying $60 or more. I know it's not as egregious as your dilemma, but I deff feel you! To be honest, that's why I havn't been back to my salon for four months. I love love love my stylist, but it's just too much..

No stylist is going to take me over budget. Either they charge me a reasonable price and I come often, or they charge me a higher price and they see me twice a year lol