Anemia and Hair Growth

Nasdaq_Diva

Nasdaq Diva, you (and everyone else on this forum) are a Godsend! I'm so glad you raised this topic. I am severely anemic. I take 325mg of Ferrous Sulfate 3 times a day and my levels are in the ones. On my lab results, it says "ALERT". Even taking the iron, I don't get up to average levels. But enough about that...I absolutely believe anemia is linked to hair growth and health. My sig pic is when I was taking iron regularly (3 times a day). Not only did it help my hair, but I swear it helped my mental and emotional stability. Now that I slacked off taking it, maybe that's the reason for my hair woes. I don't really get constipated, but I do get bloated. To counter that, I eat one cup of applesauce and one cup of Activia every night as my bedtime snack. Thank you for sharing...I'm going to get back on my iron regimen and let you know what results I achieve. And, thanks to you, I'll be drinking more water. I'm horrible about that. Sometimes I go 2 or 3 days with just coffee.
No problem! I figured I wasn't the only one on this forum who suffers(ed) from anemia. Please, please cut down on the coffee. Coffee and tea absorb iron and prevent it all from getting into your system!

Water is vital for your body, not only to flush out toxins, but also to bring nutrients and feed the body! When was the last time you had bloodwork? I'm going in for mine in a few weeks. Anyway, you may just need to get back to 3 pills/day to get your levels up. I know for me, I raise 1 point/month when I take my iron tabs 3x per day!

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I've been anemic my entire life. It seems to run in my family. It got worse when I was pregnant...the doctors were talking blood transfusion. I am supposed to take daily iron supplements...but the hurt my stomach. Guess I'm gonna have to just suck it up. In regards to hair growth, I consider my self a slow grower, although I do have my moments. If I'm ever consistent with my vitamins, I'll be able to see whether this slow growth can be attributed to the anemia. Sounds like I've got a science experiment on my hands.

Jaffa

Ladies - the iron tablets are effective however the side affects can be troublesome - I had stomach upsets and constipation. I found beetroot juice to be a very effective alternative. Now - I hate (with a passion) beetroot - always have done since childhood and still do. As a child my mom would blend it with carrot juice and it we were always told 'it's good for your blood'. She was right. I now juice 1 small raw beetroot with some ginger and carrot each morning and this helps maintain my iron levels. I still hate it but for a few seconds of distaste it's worth it. I would recommend it to those of you struggling to get your iron levels up. In addition I eat raw spinach in salads, drink black strap molasses and try to eat one portion of liver each week.

*CherryPie*

I have blackstrap molasses. But i've always wondered if it REALLY helps.

Ladies - the iron tablets are effective however the side affects can be troublesome - I had stomach upsets and constipation. I found beetroot juice to be a very effective alternative. Now - I hate (with a passion) beetroot - always have done since childhood and still do. As a child my mom would blend it with carrot juice and it we were always told 'it's good for your blood'. She was right. I now juice 1 small raw beetroot with some ginger and carrot each morning and this helps maintain my iron levels. I still hate it but for a few seconds of distaste it's worth it. I would recommend it to those of you struggling to get your iron levels up. In addition I eat raw spinach in salads, drink black strap molasses and try to eat one portion of liver each week.

LaFemmeNaturelle

IDK how true this site is because it doesn't have the foods on here that I know (thought) were good sources of iron but it states foods that are iron absorption inhibitors...spinach is actually one of them

Iron Rich Foods for Iron Deficiency Anemia

Also: Take calcium, vitamin E and zinc at a different time than your iron. They can interfere with iron absorption

I think I may have known that but how is the iron in the multi-vitamin absorbed if it has these other things? OR the foods that also have these minerals and vitamin.

Last edited:

Jaffa

@ CherryPie - Blackstrap molasses is an aid to getting sufficient iron - 2 teaspoons equate to about 10% - 14% of your RDA. I just add one teaspoon to hot water and drink it twice a day. Every little helps

Raw spinach is better for iron deficiency - if cooked you need to add a squirt of lemon juice or another form of vitamin c for absorbtion.

MissLawyerLady

I'm an amemia sufferer too. The older I get the worse it seems to get, but I think my heavier cycles have something to do with that too. I'm a heavy red meat eater (I'm in the midwest- beef is a way of life out here), so its surprising that I'm anemic. Anyway, I have low blood iron and low iron reserves. I recently- within the last 3 months- got serious with my iron supplements and started taking them daily again. However, when I went to get a blood test, I was still low so my doctor upped my dosage.

I take two iron supplements and a multivitamin with iron daily. I can really tell the difference in the last month since he's upped my dosage. I don't crave crushed ice the way I used to- I ate ice constantly. I actually have 2 snowcone makers (one still brand new in the box) b/c I burned them up so fast with all the ice I was crushing.

The iron I take is called Ferrasorb and it is very gently on my stomach and I haven't suffered from constipation even with the increased dosage.

I definitely think amenia has an effect on hair. However, I was browsing online one day about anemia and came across a site (I think it was anemia.com) which stated that hair growth wasn't affected by iron-deficiency anemia. Well, my hair says differently!

I think there's a challenge going on for anemics to stay up on their supplements.

Last edited:

Nasdaq_Diva

I definitely think amenia has an effect on hair. However, I was browsing online one day about anemia and came across a site (I think it was anemia.com) which stated that hair growth wasn't affected by iron-deficiency anemia. Well, my hair says differently!

I think there's a challenge going on for anemics to stay up on their supplements.

My hair has def. suffered these past few months. I used to get consistent growth, now recently it's been breaking, not to mention growing at a snails pace.

Absolutely! I'm sure the majority of us will take action. I think we should just use this thread? yeah/nay?

ms.blue

Have anyof you ladies considered your bloodtype? I'm an O+ so if I don'teatmeat, my body gets out of wack. Look up your blood type and see which foods are best for you!
I'm also O+ and suffer from anemia for years. I had blood work done a couple of months ago and my iron levels were 16.8. My doctor was so happy saying that keep doing what your doing since you are no longer anemic. I'm so happy and telling everyone I'm no longer anemic and what did my fool a$$ did, stop taking everything and my levels dropped, fatigue set in and the massive hair shedding. Now I'm trying to get my levels back.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

TLC1020

Didn't have anemia but my iron levels were extremely low (21) and when I got pregnant my iron leve went even more low than before. My hair began shedding from the root, but I never paid any attention to it thinking that shedding is normal. My hair was at that time nearly bsl but it was not until my mother noticed see-thru ends is when I said what a darn minute. As time went by it still didn't darn on me to see a doctor so what I did was purchased products with protein thinking it was external. When I finally get tired by this time I cut my hair to apl, I made a doctor appt to see dermatologist.. Derm said my ferritin levels were really low (11) that my iron was not storing any blood. My hair had been in telogen effluvium stage of non-stop continuous shedding. Prescribed iron tablets 3 times a day and once I had my daughter I continue taking the tablets, still taking them.

In March 2010, I cut my hair off to start over b/c my hair texture had also changed to thin and unhealthy.. I got braids at 2 months post and kept them in for 3 mths, whole summer and took them out in August at 5mths post relaxer. When I relax my hair I could tell my hair was back healthy again b/c I cut so much of my hair and didn't have much to comb..

My hair is back to its healthy state and I am also still taking my iron tablets, but once a day.

Take a look at my fotki and see what I'm talking about...

ms.blue

What are correct iron levels because my doctor told me before that I was no longer anemic and my levels were at 16.8! Did my doctor lie to me!

Black Ambrosia

I think normal is 12 to 14. I'm wondering if that was a typo in TLC1020's post. I don't see how 21 could be considered low.

cutiebe2

Have anyof you ladies considered your bloodtype? I'm an O+ so if I don'teatmeat, my body gets out of wack. Look up your blood type and see which foods are best for you!
I'm also O+ and I never knew this. But I do eat meat

I have had varying levels of anemia for the past two years. I just got more blood work done this week and my doctor said my levels are a little low. Vester recommended Blood Builder in another anemia thread that I want to pick up. The only thing is iron is absorbed VERY slowly in our bodies so it takes a LONG time to bring your levels up

cutiebe2

My doc told me the healthy ranges are between 12-15. You don't want it lower or higher. Also found a good link too Anemia FAQs of Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment | NAAC National Anemia Action Council

Mild @ 9.5 - 13
Moderate @ 8.0-9.5
Severe @ <8.0

If you are still very anemic maybe consider iron infusions. They are done at a hospital or outpatient center. I had two because I needed to bring my levels up ASAP. But they reach you blood quicker. Maybe ask your doctor.

bravenewgirl87

I suffer from Anemia terribly and it makes my hair shed in clumps. I'm supposed to take my iron pills but I don't because of the side effects. So, I use Ensure.

BonBon

I had low iron and my Doc reccommended this:

Rather than the tabs and it drove up my iron very quick. The liquid formulas or sachets are better for me.

Okay

I have never had any test done but my diet could be healthier.. Is it common to be low in iron levels?

Also.. what about taking prenantal pills instead of multivitamins?
Pregnant women need more iron anyways and it has it there.
There are some great ones it seems on Iherb and the people writing reviews arent pregnant. They take it for the added iron and zinc. And their hair has grown like crazy so they say... :)

Carrie A

What are correct iron levels because my doctor told me before that I was no longer anemic and my levels were at 16.8! Did my doctor lie to me!

You need to clarify whether the number stated was an iron level or your hemoglobin level. The ranges stated were for hemoglobin, which tells you if you are anemic. 16.8 is a normal hemoglobin level but a low iron level. Reference ranges for iron 76-198 µg/dL (Male) and 26-170 µg/dL (Female)

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Ladies I'm popping an iron pill now!! I was doing a little more reading on this and found this paragraph very encouraging:

"Because hair is a non-essential tissue for nutrient supply, it is often the first tissue to show sign of internal disturbance but the last to recover. If all other pathology is within acceptable parameters, hair growth phasing should stabilise within 2-6 months of commencing treatment. When this occurs the rate of hair fall would reduce, followed by a prolonged anagen (growth) phase of the new hair."

Taken from this site: Iron Deficiency and Hair Loss in Women – an Interpretation. Women low iron and its effects low iron has on womens hair loss. Low iron symptoms for women of all ages. They even talk aboutw amino acids in this article.

Last edited:

NicWhite

My doc told me the healthy ranges are between 12-15. You don't want it lower or higher. Also found a good link too Anemia FAQs of Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment | NAAC National Anemia Action Council

Mild @ 9.5 - 13
Moderate @ 8.0-9.5
Severe @ <8.0

The normal hemoglobin for women is usually 12-15. When this is low the is usually the first sign that you are anemic.The normal iron is 76-198 µg/dL (Male) and 26-170 µg/dL (Female) as stated earlier. This level tells you how much iron you have in your circulating at any given time. Important to know but not as important as knowing what your ferritin level is.The normal ferritin is 18–160 ng/mL for women. When the doctor told TLC1020 that her levels were low, he was probably referring to her ferritin level. This level tells you what your iron stores are. Iron is stored in your liver and your body uses it when your regular iron is used up. This is the better indicator of whether or not the iron you are taking is working. It is like you emergency fund.In other words your can still have a normal hemoglobin and still have iron deficiency. HTHSorry so long.BTW - I am new to the forum.

CurlyMoo

It's a staple of the Ethiopian diet. It's millet. You can get Indian millet at Indian grocers or brown teff (harder to get) at Ethiopian ones or even Whole Foods/Coop's. You make a sour dough bread (injera) with it but that's too difficult for people who don't know. There are some recipes you can get using teff for American tastes. We make Ethiopian food kinda regularly and I only like it as injera. But you can google for more American-type recipes:

http://www.teffco.com/recipes.ht

For liquid iron supplements (and follow the advice of a doctor..iron is toxic if in excess):

Buy Geritol Liquid online at CVS.com

Great info. The links don't work.

SLOGRO

I see most of you are anemic is this genetic or lack of foods high in iron in your daily meals. I ask because I carry and anemic trait call alpha thalassemia this means i have a sickle sell trait and my body doesn't obsorb iron like it normally should. My blood cells are half moon shaped where as normal blood cells are round and sickle cell cells are C like. My anemia doesn't really affect my daily life but i have a high protein diet that could be it. I'm also O+ I'm curious to see if anyone else has this trait.

lillylovely

Hey, looks like we're going off on another tangent here but yes I have sickle cell trait and I have always been convinced that there is a link between anaemia and sickle cell trait. I have tried to find a connection online but none of the research I have found so far acknowledges this. Logically there has to be a connection as the blood will not be able to circulate around the body as easily as those people with normal shaped blood cells.

I have had slow growing hair all my life. It also breaks and sheds so easily. I now take liquid iron and gingko biloba for the blood circulation. I also try to work out as much as I can and do scalp massages often. Only been doing all this for about one month now so not too sure of the effects but yeah anemia and slow growth/shedding and breakage definitely related.

luckiestdestiny

For those taking tablets, slow fe keeps your stomach from being upset : slow fe= slow iron. My doc told me about it. When you go to the pharmacy ask them to point it out. It's over the counter but my doc said it's just as effective as prescription but easier on the stomach. I haven't had any problems with it vs regular iron tablets. it does cost more but it's worth it.

ms.blue

I had low iron and my Doc reccommended this:

Rather than the tabs and it drove up my iron very quick. The liquid formulas or sachets are better for me.

I use that formula also. Its so much better than iron tablets.

earthangel721

I suffered from anemia over 20 years and noticed my hair was full when I took supplements. But, once I stopped my hair would fall and thin out. Jan. 2010 I had a hysterectomy due to major complications. Just this past month my husband of 14 years was like "WOW" your hair is the longest and thickest I've seen it since I've known you! I was thinking its because I've been following advise I find here on the board. But, then it dawned on me. I'm no longer anemic! Surgery is definitely not the answer to cure anemia. So do take some type of supplement to help.