2 years + major breakage repeatedly in one area = ANEMIA!!

caribeandiva

Human being
It's my 2 year anniversary and I'm so frustrated! I KNEW MY SLOW GROWTH WASN'T NORMAL! I had major breakage twice on the left side of the back of my head. I was seriously considering cutting my hair to even it out but i'll wait it out. I've been reading up on the threads about anemia and i'm sure that's the culprit because my hair's very healthy and both times the breakage came out of nowhere in the same exact spot! I need to see a doctor to see how bad my anemia's gotten. I've been anemic since i was a child but i havent taken any iron pills in years. What a time not to have health insurance. I'm sure God will help me through this though. He always does.

Pics are in my album.

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Your hair is coming along so nicely!! It looks so healthy and lush. Honestly the breakage doesn't look bad at all, and actually it just looks like a part of your hair grew faster then another part. I don't think you should trim just yet

caribeandiva

Human being
Your hair is coming along so nicely!! It looks so healthy and lush. Honestly the breakage doesn't look bad at all, and actually it just looks like a part of your hair grew faster then another part. I don't think you should trim just yet
Thanks! My sister (Bellebebe) said the same thing. She think the middle will catch up with the back and grow in a U shape. I hope so.

Mystic

Awww, I am sorry about your slow progress - hope everything is normal when you visit the Dr. Your hair has made progress though - it looks healthy and much thicker than it used to be, gook luck.

It's my 2 year anniversary and I'm so frustrated! I KNEW MY SLOW GROWTH WASN'T NORMAL! I had major breakage twice on the left side of the back of my head. I was seriously considering cutting my hair to even it out but i'll wait it out. I've been reading up on the threads about anemia and i'm sure that's the culprit because my hair's very healthy and both times the breakage came out of nowhere in the same exact spot! I need to see a doctor to see how bad my anemia's gotten. I've been anemic since i was a child but i havent taken any iron pills in years. What a time not to have health insurance. I'm sure God will help me through this though. He always does.

Pics are in my album.

caribeandiva

Human being
Awww, I am sorry about your slow progress - hope everything is normal when you visit the Dr. Your hair has made progress though - it looks healthy and much thicker than it used to be, gook luck.
aww... thank you! It took me a while to find the courage to post them. I like happy threads.

JustKiya

If you live near a health food store, Floradix is a fabulous supplement if you are anemic - not only does it provide the extra iron, it also provides the building blocks for the red blood cells to better store and distribute any iron you might take it.

Good luck......

diligence

I'm sure you'll get past this. There are many over-the-counter iron supplements that you can start taking now to help improve your overall health. Taking over-the-counter ferrous sulfate has helped me with my anemia.

SmartyPants

Sorry carribeandiva...

I take one feosol tablet everyday (two during the week of my cycle) or else after two or so weeks, I can't function.

Are you experiencing any signs other than hair loss that your anemia is a problem? For me, hair loss is not always a sign and is usually the LEAST of my problems if my iron levels have dropped. Are you taking any other supplements? You might want to try a general vitamin regimen before going through the expense of seeing a doctor. I started a vitamin regimen in September and now my hair has grown from about two inches all over (half an inch where it broke off--right back side) to neck length in the back.

caribeandiva

Human being
Sorry carribeandiva...

I take one feosol tablet everyday (two during the week of my cycle) or else after two or so weeks, I can't function.

Are you experiencing any signs other than hair loss that your anemia is a problem? For me, hair loss is not always a sign and is usually the LEAST of my problems if my iron levels have dropped. Are you taking any other supplements? You might want to try a general vitamin regimen before going through the expense of seeing a doctor. I started a vitamin regimen in September and now my hair has grown from about two inches all over (half an inch where it broke off--right back side) to neck length in the back.
yes, for as long as i can remember. I'm always tired no matter how much i sleep. I tire out very easily. I'm cold all the time (even when people around me are saying how hot it is). I have trouble concentrating sometimes (i thought i had ADD). The hair loss is the newest sign i noticed. I seriously didnt think anemia could do that.

caribeandiva

Human being
I'm sure you'll get past this. There are many over-the-counter iron supplements that you can start taking now to help improve your overall health. Taking over-the-counter ferrous sulfate has helped me with my anemia.
I thought so too but everything i've read says taking iron supplements might mess with the test results. so the Dr. might not be able to see how much iron i really need and what was causing the deficiency in the first place.

Piscesgirl718

This thread is a wake up call for me. I think that I may be anemic as well. I get tired easily and I get migraines a few times a month. My hands and feet as ALWAYS cold. My scalp is flaky and very dry. It starts to itch a few days after I wash my hair. Also, my hair is dry like the Sahara Desert.

freshlikemoi

Granted, that I cut my hair back to SL after being 2 inches from APL. I have the slowest growth too. I am on my second hair-niversary this May and I'm not where I thought I would be and that is some healthy thick APL. What's good. I get so fustrated cuz I'm like my momma don;t have hair so maybe its not meant to be. But I keep trying and struggling and I know some good has to come out of this.

ALWAYZL8

I had/have the same problem. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? I went to the dermatologist and she did a biopsy on my scalp that hurt like all get out. Come to find out, I had a vitamin/nutrient deficiency. I take a fluid pill and it is hard to hold on to the important stuff. She told me take a multi and some Biotin and I've been okay since then.

good progress

i hope you find a solution to the anemia. have you considered re-evaluating your regimen?

maybe something else is contributing to the breakage.

caribeandiva

Human being
good progress

i hope you find a solution to the anemia. have you considered re-evaluating your regimen?

maybe something else is contributing to the breakage.

yes I have. At first i thought it was because i wasn't rinsing my relaxers well enough but i was taking extra time rinsing when the breakage happened the second time. I dc twice a week, moisturize everyday, protein when needed, etc... I used to take a multivitamin but i havent been on one for months.

caribeandiva

Human being
This thread is a wake up call for me. I think that I may be anemic as well. I get tired easily and I get migraines a few times a month. My hands and feet as ALWAYS cold. My scalp is flaky and very dry. It starts to itch a few days after I wash my hair. Also, my hair is dry like the Sahara Desert.
This is why i started this thread: to help other ladies. My scalp usually starts itching a few hours after i wash it. I thought dry scalp like that was normal.

iaec06

hey I have a mild case of anemia aswell all my life but I always had some sort of suppliments that I took . I can't stand iron pills because they make me constipated. so i have been on the slow fe iron which a sow release of iron in your body over time . have you talked to you doctor about this .. 'also you have nice progress and gorJus skin

caribeandiva

Human being
hey I have a mild case of anemia aswell all my life but I always had some sort of suppliments that I took . I can't stand iron pills because they make me constipated. so i have been on the slow fe iron which a sow release of iron in your body over time . have you talked to you doctor about this .. 'also you have nice progress and gorJus skin

aww... thank you! I havent been to the doctor since my insurance was cancelled over 2 years ago. My new health insurance at work starts in 3 months. I'm thinking of going to a walk-in clinic. I'm afraid of how much the test is gonna cost me though.

PeopleTalkDaily

U look beautiful.

don't cut...
Just see what the doctors says and baby it..

U look beautiful..
I love your hair..

FYI-u take a long time updating again, I am coming to flordia...:grin: