Orange hair how do i fix it?

LeNghtyDreAms

I love honey blond hair with my skin tone, so after having dye free hair for 2 years I decided to dye my hair again. First time I only wanted to dye the front and it didnt take, my hair turned out with a reddish tint.
So I bought another box (just one) and proceeded to do my hair. Then I realized my hair is too thick for one box, so i run out of the house with dye in my hair, and go to CVS: nothing, go to sally's:nothing. Finally i go to Target get a similar color and head home. Guess i left the first application in too long because they the front of my hair is ORANGE!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? How did you fix it? How long should I wait to re-dye?

Attachments

• DSC00267.JPG
    DSC00267.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00270.JPG
    DSC00270.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 105

LeNghtyDreAms

Like and idiot, yes. I went to 3 stores while the first application of dye was still in my hair, thought i'd be in and out, but no such luck.

chucktownqt

I'm no hair expert but I just had a similar situation. about two weeks ago I tried to dye my dark hair (years of black rinses) with honey blonde (or something like that). It came out super light at the roots and halfway down the shaft and the rest was still dark. Well, I went and got a red rinse and applied that over it. It toned down the lightness ALOT and it made the dark areas a bit redder. Well, I just dyed it back black today because DH was not feeling the two tone look:nono:. I would suggest you just go and get a rinse for a quick fix because you don't want to apply another permanent dye so soon. HTH

DrC

You have to find a color/toner that has a BLUE base to it. A blue base neutralizes/cancels out the orange base in your hair.
go to Sally's Beauty supply ( or whatever beauty supply store is available) and either buy a color kit in the box ( which SHOULD tell you its base color) Or you can get the individual toner/color ( blue base) and a bottle of 10 volume developer.
Stay away form anything with a REd/Green/Yellow Base. Um, a rinse probably will/ wont work but only for a small amount of time. Rinses aren't meant to penetrate through your hair shaft, but it doesn't hurt to try.
http://www.hairfinder.com/hair/brassyhaircolor.htm

Last edited:

Ms.London

...you can Henna over it to tone down the color happened to be too now its more like a auborn red (deep spice)...ill see how it goes after a second application...

LeNghtyDreAms

Sorry im hair dye challenges as you can tell but would a blue based dye would be like a black or what? I still want blond, just not orange.:nono:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
This is why you should always choose and Ash color and not "warm/golden" etc in the description.

At this point I think your best bet is a professional hair dresser. No more experiments. :naughty:

DrC

A blue base can be found in many of hair colors/toners from dark blond to brown. A blue base ONLY cancels out the orange. For example if you go buy a hair color right now that is strawberry blonde with a blue base, it will deposit the color you desire and remove all the orange. But before deciding to dye again , maybe you should try a color correcting shampoo with a blue base. You should be able to find some in your local drug store beauty supply

Clairol ( Blue) Shimmer Lights

Paul Mitchell Cool Blue Shampoo

Will add more.

Last edited:

Ijanei

Sorry I can't help you out but I think it looks cute, i personally like the color :look:
shrugs*

When I did have this issue before, I just used a darker rinse and waited a few to try again

lexiwiththecurls

You might want to go to a professional. I did the same thing and went to get it fixed...I was told to use a blue base but to go to a salon and have them do it. It is supposed to tone down the brassiness/orangey color. Maybe you could do the blue base shampoo seen above and then go to a salon to get it the color you were looking for.

Your roots are going to take first because of the heat from your scalp, thats why you arent supposed to do the roots first...or do 2 inches away from your scalp and down...and after leaving it on for like 10 mins+ or so, then you do your roots because the part near your scalp will catch up.

hothair

:yep:What the ladies said about colours with a blue base. What you need to do is a hard Aphogee wait at least 48 hours then you could try a semi-permanent/permanent dye, since you like the lighter colours, I would suggest any medium-dark blonde colours (I like Loreal (DO NOT USE FERIA) and Scwarzkopf)with any thing that says "Ash" in it, they are usually blue toned based.

Avoid anything that says, "warm", "auburn" etc they usually have reddish pigments and would make your hair more red/orange. If you want your hair lighter, don't use a brown colour it WILL make your hair dark.

Also look through the beauty aisle for any violet/blue shampoos for coloured hair they'll help but nothing would work as well as applying a colour over it.

HTH