Peppermint oil on scalp

washize

On mothers day I bought a whole bunch of pure oils to make my mom an all natural beauty basket. I had a whole bottle of peppermint oil left, so I oiled my scalp with it. At first it felt great, then the tingling was too much! IT felt like I was bald and it was snowing on my head :lachen:`LAst night I was freezing! Today it feels nice again :spinning:, but I was just wondering if any other ladies oil their scalp with peppermint oil? I know its good for circulation with in the scalp.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
YOU CAN NOT PUT IT PURELY ON UR SCALP!

That is extremely dangerous, you have to add it to a carrier oil.

beans4reezy

I add peppermint oil to my conditioner. But like the ladies said, peppermint Oil is an essential oil that needs a carrier oil in order to apply to the scalp. You are risking some serious scalp burns by straight applying it to your skin.

BostonMaria

Please be careful with Peppermint oil. Like the others said, you can't put pure peppermint directly to your scalp.

I looked it up on my Revive Holistic Beauty e-book and it says "Essential Oils are pure concentrations distilled from one or more parts of the flower, plant etc and therefore are very powerful. For this reason, it is important to use them in their correct dose according to:
a) how you intend to use them
b) also the age and health of the person who will be using them.
"

You should avoid peppermint oil if you are pregnant, have low blood pressure, have epilepsy or heart problems.

Try adding a few drops to your favorite carrier oil (olive oil, coconut, avocado, etc) instead. HTH!

e-book was purchased here reviveholisticbeauty.com

discodumpling

Not many essential oils (e/o's) can be used straight up (neat) I use only lavendar e/o neat. Most others need to be heavily diluted with a carrier oil. Common carrier oils are: coconut, EVOO & jojoba but there are lots more! Have fun exploring!

washize

lol wow thank you everyone! I had no clue, It just feels so good : / What about grape seed and almond oil?

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
lol wow thank you everyone! I had no clue, It just feels so good : / What about grape seed and almond oil?

Those are fine, just please use a something. Just need a few drops to a good amount of oil. I can't remember the ratios, and I am drawing a blank on the site I found it from. Maybe do a google search to get your ratios.

Ivonnovi

On mothers day I bought a whole bunch of pure oils to make my mom an all natural beauty basket. I had a whole bottle of peppermint oil left, so I oiled my scalp with it. At first it felt great, then the tingling was too much! IT felt like I was bald and it was snowing on my head :lachen:`LAst night I was freezing! Today it feels nice again :spinning:, but I was just wondering if any other ladies oil their scalp with peppermint oil? I know its good for circulation with in the scalp.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: reminds me of the time I was um, outta regular lotion. I had a bottle of tanning lotion that had an "excellerant" in it. (In case you don't know it most tanning lotions are v-e-r-y moisturizing, and yes I tan). Anywho, I slathered that stuff on e-v-e-r-y where, AND in about 5 minutes I had the uncomfortable tingling sensation of cayanne pepper e-v-e-r-y where (cracks included) !!!!!!! OMG! OMG! OMG! a cold shower couldn't relieve me fast enough. It's funny now but at the time....OMG! OMG!

ycj1

That oil alone is very strong! I put pepperment oil in my MT and it tingles alot, let alone being used by itself! NO NO!!!!!

But the OP are right, you cannot in no way use it by itself!:nono:

LushLox

Wow, I'm just trying to figure out how you tolerated that oil on your scalp, peppermint oil is so strong!! :eek:

me-T

:lachen::lachen::lachen: reminds me of the time I was um, outta regular lotion. I had a bottle of tanning lotion that had an "excellerant" in it. (In case you don't know it most tanning lotions are v-e-r-y moisturizing, and yes I tan). Anywho, I slathered that stuff on e-v-e-r-y where, AND in about 5 minutes I had the uncomfortable tingling sensation of cayanne pepper e-v-e-r-y where (cracks included) !!!!!!! OMG! OMG! OMG! a cold shower couldn't relieve me fast enough. It's funny now but at the time....OMG! OMG!

:lachen:i can't imagine!

Guitarhero

Yes, one should be very careful. It can cause death in some cases (unmixed essential oils to the skin in high amounts).