Thin and brittle at the crown

Blu217

This is a spinoff from the "severe damage" thread. It looks like at least a few ladies here are dealing with the same thing I am: hair at the crown that has become thin and/or brittle and is breaking off. The surrounding hair everywhere else is rockin', soft and healthy.

But those strands on top? Oddly thick, coarse and inelastic. It snaps easily, feels really hard and fragile and is super delicate. I don't recall making any changes in my regimine that would cause the breakage. I don't know if it's overprocessed (that wouldn't cause thickened strands, would it?) or if it's symptomatic of a lack of the proper nutrients (why would that be focused just on the crown area, if so?). I don't think it's an issue with hard water... Does it just need lots of moisture? Will protein stop the breakage or just exacerbate the problem? Wait for the damage to grow out while trimming it away?

Who else is dealing or has dealt with this? Any suggestions or recommendations to help repair the area?

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm dealing with this too. I am so disappointed and frustrated. It's broken off to about 4-5 inches. :nono:

I'm trying to figure it out. When I henna or use emergencee the breakage slows down almost stops but it's so dry......but when I use Aphogee it still breaks. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm trying protein and moisture and I am so incredibly frustrated. My hair is so fine and it's thinner naturally so I'm at a point where I just want to give up, get a cut, and call it a day. I finally hit APL (for the third time in a year) and am on the way to BSL. I have phases.... Around this time every year I have a setback. I'm sick of this.

Last edited:

tuffCOOKiE

ditto :sad: but mine is getting better.. do you guys comb your hair?

Me and my sister had the same issue and I told her how I was going to find the prob and when I told her I thought it was the way she was combing, she rebuffed saying she's gentle.. but when I watch her.. oh boy.

The issue was, when I comb my hair and have new growth, I have to comb (or rollerset), 'up'. Like, you can't comb that area down towards your nape because the eds WILL break off.. I don't know how to be more clear.

So when I comb, detangle or anyhting in that area, I have to section that part off and comb it srtight up and then pat it down w my hands. This has helped tremendously. Remember, it only takes a few swipes of the comb the wrong way to break off a piece of hair youve been growing out for years.. so.. hth

MsCounsel

Great thread.....

I am still trying to figure out what the problem is. The area is superbly difficult to deal with. I comb my hair to detangle but mostly I finger comb. I used Apoghee 6 weeks ago and unfortunately the breakage continued. I then returned to Emergencee Saturday. I will keep you posted. The area has been challenging for the last few years. This year it is at its worst. So I have to remember what I did before to revitalize the area. It's very challenging but I am confident it will grow back. Unfortunately, I get lazy and tend to forget what works, change products, etc.

My new mantra: IF IT ISN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!!! (Re: my healthy regi)

pear

My crown area is also really dry at the scalp with itching and white flaking. I have started oiling my scalp in that area with jojoba oil mixed with rosemary, peppermint, lavendar and tea tree essential oils. This appears to be helping my dry scalp issues but the actual hair in that area is still a much drier, coarser and more brittle texture as compared to the rest of my hair.

I have thought about spraying on a more liquid/water based moisturizer in this area on a daily basis vs. my lotion moisturizer. The problem that I have had in the past with liquid moisturizers such as S-curl is that my hair feels great when its wet but when it dries, the hair in this area immediately goes back to feeling dry and brittle. This is especially true when I am several weeks into a relaxer.

Has anyone found a liquid/spray-based moisturizer that has kept that area moisturized on a daily basis?

MsCounsel

I am also hiding my front and crown area with snap-on bangs. In the morning, I don't have to do anything to the top portion of my hair other than moisturize and seal. Additionally, it helps me not to constantly think about the hair. I know that when I stress, my hair reacts and manifests my stress.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

ditto :sad: but mine is getting better.. do you guys comb your hair?

Me and my sister had the same issue and I told her how I was going to find the prob and when I told her I thought it was the way she was combing, she rebuffed saying she's gentle.. but when I watch her.. oh boy.

The issue was, when I comb my hair and have new growth, I have to comb (or rollerset), 'up'. Like, you can't comb that area down towards your nape because the eds WILL break off.. I don't know how to be more clear.

So when I comb, detangle or anyhting in that area, I have to section that part off and comb it srtight up and then pat it down w my hands. This has helped tremendously. Remember, it only takes a few swipes of the comb the wrong way to break off a piece of hair youve been growing out for years.. so.. hth

That makes a lot of sense because it's generally a thinner area in the first place and being rough and breaking the "few" strands that are there is going to show much more easily. And it's the first place that receives sun damage.

Last edited:

Candycane044

Bumping...my crown hair is much shorter than the rest of my hair. I don't understand! The crown hair is like 4 inches long, but the rest of my hair is like 10 inches...And it's not breaking, it just doesn't seem to grow the same pace as the rest of my hair???

Angelicus

I don't have that problem but I want to help. Is anyone wrapping their hair at night? Could wrapping the hair without rollers at the crown be the cause of the damage?

MissLawyerLady

Same thing here. I've searched the threads and there are a few other thread out there with suggestions on what to do.

I have started combing upward as someone suggested and I moisturize the hair and scalp at the crown nightly- alternating between pure emu oil and Shescentit's Scalp Elixir. The itchiness in the area has been reduced since I've been moisturizing more and the hair does feel softer. HTH

I'm going to keep this up through August (which will be 6 months) to see if there is a significant change.

I need to subscribe to this thread.

DarkHair

I started babying the top and nape of my head. I had a problem because a stylist and her assistant detangled my hair from the root some years ago. So I had these short pieces in the top. I used MN and BeeMine and massaged this area. That was in September/October. Now you can't tell that spot had the problem. It looks fine now. I still massage the top more often though. I do comb my hair either up or straight out front when rollersetting. I leave this area more loose though.

Katt73

R U guys sitting under the dryer in rollers?

I immediately thought the same thing! I don't wet set often because the top of my hair dries in no time and the sides and back take forever. So, I found that I was sitting under the dryer for over an hour when the top of my hair had already dried. It was straight torture for the hair on the crown of my head.

gymfreak336

I immediately thought the same thing! I don't wet set often because the top of my hair dries in no time and the sides and back take forever. So, I found that I was sitting under the dryer for over an hour when the top of my hair had already dried. It was straight torture for the hair on the crown of my head.

Yep. Not to mention it dries the scalp out, making that area itch more than the rest of the head. Dry scalp can lead to excess shedding.

To remedy both situations I always spray my entire head with heat protectant before going under the dryer. I give my crown an extra spritz or two. I also rub a light oil on my parts as I roll it. It take maybe an extra 3-5 minutes but it makes a world of difference. The oil on already wet scalp will help seal that moisture into the skin, helping it stay pliable.

Candycane044

Unfortunately I don't sit under the dryer, or anything like that. I just airdry my hair and keep it moving. I wrap my hair with a satin scarf at night, and I sleep on my back. I was wondering maybe I was sleeping on that specific spot on my head, but as I paid more attention that's not even where the pillow meets my head. I just don't understand why this area is so behind?

MissLawyerLady

No, I never rollerset. I also rarely flat iron- like twice a year- and I only use a curling iron maybe 4 times a year.

I caruso set every few months only and I don't use any comb or comb attachment when I blow dry.

I'm low-mani and only comb my hair on wash day to detangle and I don't even own any brushes.

Mine is strictly a hair issue.:ohwell:

I've been using Emergencee and that usually stops the breakage in it's tracks. But someone on the board brought up a good point last week. I notice that when I'm under the dryer ( on rollers ) the crown is the first place to dry. So imagine sitting under the dryer waiting for the remaining hair to dry, that's an additional 20 minutes with direct heat on that already dry spot ( the crown ). Maybe that's too much heat for that area. I just purchased a thermal heat spray, which allows the hair to retain moisture while repelling heat damage. Does this theory make sense to anyone ?

simone103

I also have dry brittle hair in the crown area. I don't use a lot a heat on my hair. I truly believe for me that it's probably some type of dietary imbalance. I know that I don't get enough calcium in my diet nor do I eat enough vegetables. I recently started taking flaxseed oil in the liquid form. Hopefully, these dietary changes will help the problem diminish.

taz007

Is anyone using a Pibbs 514? I thought that the Pibbs did not blow air from the crown down but from the bottom up. Is this true?

ShiShiPooPoo

I REALLY think that this was my issue...I didn't even make the correlation.

For the past year or so I have been a rollersetting fanatic. And boy, do I place those rollers at the crown tight so I can get that ng straight.:lachen: Combine that with this hot dryer and next thing I knew my crown was itchy, sore, and wouldn't grow. Two derms could find nothing but thinning. So what I have started doing is shampooing with Nizoral and allowing it to air dry. Then I will bun or use my caruso's.

I will be able to see if this new regimen is working when I get my retouch at the end of this week. So far, no more itching but I don't know if it has helped with the thinning.

I have the same issue. I am/have been natural since 2005-I rarely use heat or manipulate dry (like maybe 2/3 times a year) only straighten about once a year to trim-usually thats when the hairdresser asks what happened to that area...lol. I do not do much different to it except applying more growth aids and massaging it; trying to stop it from tangling. Its wierd and its just soo sensitive. I started noticing the difference in this area in 2000 when I had a bad relaxer but it seems wierd that it would still be a problem since I have BC'ed (once completely shaved it all off) 2x since then. Im starting to think I might just have to accept it and keep babying the area. (I wear wigs/lacefronts for the most part but I take care of my real hair)

longhairlover

I'm dealing with this too. I am so disappointed and frustrated. It's broken off to about 4-5 inches. :nono:

I have about the same amount of breakage but only a small piece, but then on my right side by my ear i have yet another small piece as well, i know i caused this by air drying relaxed hair, my relaxed hair needs heat and to be blown out or roller set. i use good conditioners all that, detangle well but with the air drying my hair was coming out too much,

normally using a protein like emergencee use to help the hair grow back.

we will get our missing pieces back lol!!

Patricia

SUBSCRIBING. I HAVE THIS PROBLEM TOO. MY HAIR AT THE CROWN IS THINNING COMPARED TO THE REST OF MY HAIR. I DON'T USE HEAT. MAYBE I NEED TO USE A GROWTH AIDE OR SOMETHING

Faith

I'm natural and my crown area tends to be brittle and grows slower than the rest. Not sure why that is. Try massaging it with EOs. It's always been that way for me. The back/nape are really soft, the sides are semi soft and the crown/front is a bit dry. Keep it moist and massage it more often.

mezzogirl

I am also hiding my front and crown area with snap-on bangs. In the morning, I don't have to do anything to the top portion of my hair other than moisturize and seal. Additionally, it helps me not to constantly think about the hair. I know that when I stress, my hair reacts and manifests my stress.

Where do you find snap-on bangs? Is the hair sold as bangs or is it some other type of hair that you cut into bangs?

gymfreak336

No, I never rollerset. I also rarely flat iron- like twice a year- and I only use a curling iron maybe 4 times a year.

I caruso set every few months only and I don't use any comb or comb attachment when I blow dry.

I'm low-mani and only comb my hair on wash day to detangle and I don't even own any brushes.

Mine is strictly a hair issue.:ohwell:

Try giving your scalp in that area a massage with some tingly massage oil before you wash. I did that for a while and it seemed to help. I hope you find something that works for you soon. I know how frustrating having a problem area can be.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I have about the same amount of breakage but only a small piece, but then on my right side by my ear i have yet another small piece as well, i know i caused this by air drying relaxed hair, my relaxed hair needs heat and to be blown out or roller set. i use good conditioners all that, detangle well but with the air drying my hair was coming out too much,

normally using a protein like emergencee use to help the hair grow back.

we will get our missing pieces back lol!!

lol I hear ya! I'm working on it girl! I'm not rollersetting or anything. I sleep on a satin pillowcase with a silk scarf.... I guess I just have to kick up the moisture so I can blowdry on low heat. :sad::look::ohwell:

MsCounsel