Do you tip the wash girl?

• yes

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • no

Votes: 18 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SleepyJean

I don't know if I am supposed to. I always tip the stylist, and sometimes I really want to tip the wash girl, but then I think "No, they must split the tip." Of course, I could be wrong.

Solitude

They probably don't split it. I see a lot of people tip the wash girl, especially if they have special requests, but I DON'T.

Newtogrow

I give enough to the stylist, for the stylist to give her her money. She is assisting her. Hopefully the stylist is ethical.

Usually, I would say, this is for you and her because it's usually on my card. Not cash.

Dark&Lovley

I use to be "the wash girl" in H.S. Um heck yeah you suppose to tip. :yep: You already ain't making enough so at least the tips get you by.

In the shop where I worked, we pretty much knew who would tip and tip good, so we would try to beat each other to that person to get the tip. LOL
Shoot, we would even do extra stuff like use the good products and massage the head extra long and good :lachen:
I got so good I was at the point they would come in and request me to wash their hair. :yep:

If I ever go back to the salon I would tip the shampoo assistant, because I know how it is and I was their before.:yep:

skatergurljubulee

The one time I went to a Domincan salon, I had multiple people in my hair. I charged the amount on my card, then felt MEGA guilt about not tipping the rollersetting lady, and wash girl. I went to an ATM and got some cash out to tip all the other hands involved. lol

*not meant to hijack thread*
Is that normal for salons to have multiple people in one client's head? I shouldn't have to keep count who's all in my hair. lol I mean dang, I need to know who to blame if its a hot mess...

MizzBrown

I must be old school but i think its unprofessional to have 2-4 people working on my head at once. I'm not tipping all those folks.

And how do you tip? 15% of the bill split 3 ways or 15% to stylist, 15% to washgirl, 15% to colorist, etc.

IMO the tip should go to the person who performed the style. They stylist has the finishing skill. Not the washgirl.

Butterfly08

I picked no, because I never go to a salon where there's a wash girl.

I must be old school but i think its unprofessional to have 2-4 people working on my head at once. I'm not tipping all those folks.

And how do you tip? 15% of the bill split 3 ways or 15% to stylist, 15% to washgirl, 15% to colorist, etc.

IMO the tip should go to the person who performed the style. They stylist has the finishing skill. Not the washgirl.

Thank you! I wasn't gonna say anything cuz it's kinda OT, but I don't have a wash girl. My stylist concentrates on me the entire 2 hours I am there, no double booking, no 3 or 4 different people in my head. I tip *HER* accordingly. I'm just not with the wash girl theory. :nono:

Noir

I don't go to salons where I have I have more than one person work on my hair. Twice I had a different person wash my hair because they fit me in for a late app. and I tipped him a few dollars; but generally I have only one stylist who concentrates on me.

luckiestdestiny

If you go to a salon where there is a wash girl they should be tipped. I read this etiquette thing...and I can't tell you which hair magazine, but it said the only person to not tip is the owner if she does your hair. Don't know why. They probably mean in a really big salon, not the smaller ones. Then again, the smaller ones don't usually have wash girls.

angelp

Here's an article on various tipping topics dealing with hair salons:

How Much to Tip at a Salon?
Do's and don'ts of salon etiquette

by Alice Rose Hurley

The relationships you form in a salon can be the most intimate in your life. Who else but your hairdresser can examine your gray or damaged hair with such practical indifference? As for your bikini waxer, she may not be your friend, but she is your... bikini waxer. It doesn't get much closer than that. If you're not sure how much to tip these essential people in your lives, you're not alone. We asked Tahnee Seiler, student services coach at the Aveda Institute, and Elie Camoro, a top stylist at Frederic Fekkai, to tell us the right way to tip. They also share some customers' faux pas.
WAtch Video: Holiday tipping tips

How Much Should You Tip?

What customers do: In Aveda's informal poll, the lowest tip was 10 percent and the highest was 25 percent, but most women said they stick to 20. In and around big cities, the percentage was more generous, even though the services cost more. Women with supershort hair, which they get cut and colored every four to six weeks, don't always give a huge tip because their annual beauty bill is so high to begin with. Stylists in some small-town beauty shops, however, report 15 percent as the norm. Those who work in mall or drop-in hair salons, and are less likely to have a loyal clientele, sometimes get tips of even less.

What salon staff wants you to do: Start from 20 percent to be fair. Young mothers up the ante if their preschoolers are in on the haircut. If you arrive late or have a toddler with you, you should increase your tip. Other reasons to tip more: if the salon squeezes you in at the last moment, your styling includes a shoulder massage, or your manicure includes a hand massage. The bottom line: If you like your hairstylist, tip at least 20 percent. It helps build relations with the salon and is especially helpful in procuring a last-minute appointment.

Says Camoro: "You want to get the best personal care, and build up a rapport. You don't want to fall into the other category at a big-scale salon, where every service is by appointment only. You want to be one of those clients who can call on a whim when you're flying out of town and ask if we can fit you in."

Should You Tip The Shampoo Person?

What customers do: It's confusing. Many give a 20 percent tip and figure that the stylist will share it with the shampoo washer. Several women compared it to eating out at a fancy restaurant with both a wine steward and a waiter, where they give just one tip and assume the restaurant divides it.
What salon staff wants you to do: Forget the restaurant idea. Tip everyone separately. In big salons, give at least $3 to $5 to the shampooer. The more the shampooer does (such as apply toner or other special products), the more you should give. But in smaller towns, like Brewer, Maine, a $5 tip for a shampoo would seem excessive, since the price for a shampoo, conditioning, cut and blow-dry at Defining Design is $21 ‑- and stylist Roxie Boudreau does it all herself.

Do You Tip The Owner?

What customers do: The commonly held belief is that you shouldn't tip the salon owner if she or he does your hair. But more and more customers do.

What salon staff wants you to do: That rule really doesn't apply anymore. Go ahead, tip the owner.

What Bugs Stylists?

What customers do: In the age of cell phones, laptops and BlackBerrys, customers do too much in the stylist's chair. But they may not know how much it bothers the stylists.

What salon staff wants you to do: Be on time. Don't cancel within 24 hours of your appointment. Don't show up so sick that you are coughing throughout the haircut. And don't sit glued to your cell phones, laptops and BlackBerrys. Your body has to be in the right position for a good haircut. Sit up and face forward ‑- no hunching over a keypad or magazine. What if you feel like just zoning out and not talking? No problem, stylists say. They understand that some people just want to chill and get pampered. And if you snooze during the hair-coloring process, so be it.

What About Gifts?

What customers do: When they're attached to a stylist, customers give both money and gifts at the holidays. Presents can be handmade items, like a craft or cookies. Store-bought items are acceptable too.

What salon staff wants you to do: Stylists appreciate the thanks and recognition during the holidays. Even a card works. "Write a note on it, and don't forget to put your name. We always read them," says Camoro

Mook's hair

I normally don't but -There was only one wash girl I tipped. She had great hands for scalp massage. So I felt she deserved a tip.

Eisani

I tipped a wash guy before :look: He was a thug too; Timberlands, braids, gold teef and I was crying laughin when he said in his rugged, country boy voice "Cool rinse." :lachen: I had to give him something, but under normal circumstances, I don't.

cocoaluv

Yup every time too. Unless its that one girl with the jaggard fingernails that scratch my scalp...yuck!

mw138

I don't typically, but I did tip the wash boy a couple of times because he gave me a wonderful scalp massage. :yep:

Sly

I do. They wash and rollerset my hair. They take care of me so I show my gratitude. :grin:

JJamiah

I tip any hand that touches my head unless it is the owner, I am old fashioned so I don't do the modern go ahead adn tip the owner thing, I take a percentage of my whole tip and tip accordingly!

I too was a Shampoo Girl before so, I know the tips are appreciated.

SimpleKomplexity

I have never had a wash girl, but if I did I guess I would tip her $3-$4 but I normally don't tip. Just honest. I'm broke. When I get a real job, I will

chicitygirl

I always tip her $5. Mostly because I feel like they give her all the crap work like cleaning the shop in addition to shampooing the heads and I know she doesn't make a decent hourly wage.

hairaboutit

I was a shampoo asst in high school so I know what it's like and I make sure I tip them.

The shops I worked at paid based on what you did (i.e. $2 for shampoo, $1 if you applied color, $1 if you wrapped) and each individual stylist paid you for the services provided to their client. Suffice it to say they didn't split their tip in addition to having to pay you.

Now how much I tip is another story is entirely based on the service the shampoo asst provides.

FAMUDva

I've been the shampoo girl before... the stylist does NOT split their tip. :nono: I tip my stylist and I tip the shampoo person. At my salon they have tip envelopes like at a spa, so I calculate what I want to give overall (to stylist & shampoo person), then I split that into whatever. I definitely tip the shampoo person less than the stylist.

FAMUDva

Thank you! I wasn't gonna say anything cuz it's kinda OT, but I don't have a wash girl. My stylist concentrates on me the entire 2 hours I am there, no double booking, no 3 or 4 different people in my head. I tip *HER* accordingly. I'm just not with the wash girl theory. :nono:

I know everyone is different. And I agree with you I would NEVER allow 3-4 people's hands in my head for any reason! That is a definite :nono:. I do however enjoy the experience I have with the shampoo assistant.

There's no double booking at my salon, but they have shampoo assistants. It's an all natural salon and I actually enjoy the shampoo assistant for the shampoo portion. My salon was a salon-spa type place, but when they dropped their spa (due to economy), they kept the spa feel and certain aspects. Like, my shampoo person doesn't just shampoo, she ALWAYS gives a great massage, and is very attentive. She takes way more time than the stylist can take because he has to blowdry, silken (first past flat iron), and style EVERY head that sits in his chair. So, even with no double booking, if he didn't have a shampoo assistant he'd only be able to earn money from like 4-5 heads if he had to give me the kind of shampooo I deserve :look: and spend the time we deserve in our blow, silken, and style. :yep:

LushLox

My mum makes me laugh, it's the wash girl who is the only one that gets tipped! :lol:

I visit my stylist at her home so there essentially is no 'wash girl' for me.