• Yes

Votes: 135 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Depends --please explain

Votes: 36 18.8%

• Total voters

angelp

IT ain't my job to access her financial risks or to keep her in her shop/salon. Many salons don't care to use good products or care to respect your time. Have you waiting 40 minutes just to get in the chair.

I do tip stylists if there prices are good or if the job is really good. And if everyone would not visit a salon because they couldn't afford to tip.....It would hurt the salon.

We're talking about two different things...I don't advocate tipping people who don't use good products or respect your time. I would assume that if that was the case, people would be smart enough not to go to those type of places.

I would expect that people would be a little bit more understanding instead of going out of their way to NOT tip the owner who provides the same service as the other stylists in the shop. It seems extremely weird to me.

PuffyBrown

How do ya'll handle someone keeping your change before you can tip?
That has never happened to me at the hair salon, but I have had it happen a a nail salon. It has happened to me a few times. I let it happen to me twice but after that I confront. Like um hem, you forgot my change. After which I don't tip.

When I went to the hair stylist (I don't go anymore), I would tip 10%-15% depending on what I was having done.

*fabulosity*

I'm really confused about the people not tipping because the person is the owner or is driving a nice car, etc.. It's almost as if you're punishing the person because you think they're doing well. If they're providing the same service as the other stylists in the shop AND assuming all the financial risks of having the shop, why shouldn't they be tipped as well? If it's not your policy to tip anyone (or a cultural issue), that's fine. But if you will tip everyone BUT the owner...?

On another note, I would really hate for the CEO of my company to not give me my yearly bonus next year because she found out I bought a new car or bought a new house. How well I'm doing financially has nothing to do with the type of service that I'm providing her. What matters is if I'm going above and beyond and demonstrate that I care about my job and not doing the bare minimum.

First of all, to me this comment is wayyy out of whack. I personally don't tip because I go each week. One of the reasons that the people are doing well is because I (and others) come each week. In this economy, I think that is more than fair to charge a price that includes what you think you should be compensated for. A tip is extra. Extra; as in not required. I guess I am of the mind frame that if I've got 20% extra to give towards their luxury vehicle penchant or weakness for other name brands (that mind you I myself have).. I at the very least should be set in all my financial goals to the point that giving them the tip is not even near to putting a dent in my financial portfolio. They're making money from the stylists, selling products/services, and doing hair. I personally know my stylist is not hurting and would prefer not to be tipped but likes repeat business..because that's what pays the bills.

I don't think your analogy of tipping hairstylists versus being employed at your job makes sense. That's my opinion.The stylist is more of an independent contractor.. in my opinion to be technical..than an employee.

My final sentiments are: If you want to tip..tip. If you don't. Don't. Either way the world will still spin. With the amount of people who are doing their own hair nowadays.. stylists should be happy that folks are coming in. This coming from someone who paid $85 for a touch up a few weeks ago...versus the $10 plus time it would've cost me if I'd self relaxed.

Last edited:

stephshe

I tip my new stylist $10 but I only go every 3 months so I end up paying $90 with tip. The first time I went I bought about $30 worth of hair products too and he was suprised but I'm not doing that anymore since I have found cheaper products I like just as much.The last time I went he had a shampoo person and I didn't expect that and didn't have cash on me so I couldn't tip her because she left before I was done but I'll probably tip her $3 next time. I feel obligated to tip but he does a great job on my hair so it's worth it.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Can you explain how giving little perks to some and not others is treating all clients the same regardless of whether they tip or not? If I don't tip and ask for that lil' 'extra' you will refuse?
Meaning. Everybody gets the same courteous and friendly treament. Everyone gets haircare tips and advice regardless. Everyone is made to feel welcome. I don't expect tips from my clients. It's just extra. To my clients who tip I do tend to throw in extra's like a free trim or spot relaxer and such. I really think it's human nature to want to give little extras to those who do it for you. I am sure you won't see it my way but the ones who receive the little extras know exactly what I am talking about.

anomcasm

dontspeak, I know exactly what you're talking about. I tip and I get a lot of little extras. Just yesterday I got a protein treatment and trim without a charge. Maybe I'm a bit different because my stylist has been doing my hair for several years, but I believe that good service deserves a tip. I may not tip the same amount each time, but I always try to give something extra. I think tipping shows gratitude and appreciation. I was raised to tip for all of the personal services I receive, unless the service was bad - in which case, paying the entire amount might be challenged (although with my hair, I haven't had that problem)...

sqzbly1908

First of all, to me this comment is wayyy out of whack. I personally don't tip because I go each week. One of the reasons that the people are doing well is because I (and others) come each week. In this economy, I think that is more than fair to charge a price that includes what you think you should be compensated for. A tip is extra. Extra; as in not required. I guess I am of the mind frame that if I've got 20% extra to give towards their luxury vehicle penchant or weakness for other name brands (that mind you I myself have).. I at the very least should be set in all my financial goals to the point that giving them the tip is not even near to putting a dent in my financial portfolio. They're making money from the stylists, selling products/services, and doing hair. I personally know my stylist is not hurting and would prefer not to be tipped but likes repeat business..because that's what pays the bills.

I don't think your analogy of tipping hairstylists versus being employed at your job makes sense. That's my opinion.The stylist is more of an independent contractor.. in my opinion to be technical..than an employee.

My final sentiments are: If you want to tip..tip. If you don't. Don't. Either way the world will still spin. With the amount of people who are doing their own hair nowadays.. stylists should be happy that folks are coming in. This coming from someone who paid $85 for a touch up a few weeks ago...versus the $10 plus time it would've cost me if I'd self relaxed.

Just piggybacking off of Fab

With regard to tipping methods, and I know I am stretching here, but no one here has to justify the reasons why they tip - there is no set rules or anything in stone stating otherwise. Personally it is not my business to figure out why and how someone spends their own money....

From another perspective, as Fab mentioned, she is a repeat customer not to mention she is a "walking billboard"(like so many of us) she is not only patronizing regularly- she is providing the potential for additional business. I would think the stylist would appreciate knowing that someone thought enough of them to not only return to the salon but refer others.

With regard to the "financial risks of having a business" That is not the customer's obligation to assess and that is not a justifiable reason for tipping. You go to the salon to pay for services rendered - not determine the profit margin.
Getting a tip is an extra and should not be relied on to maintain one's business.

When the stylist determines their prices I am pretty sure they take their business into account as well as the potential for "financial risks".When they go over and beyond, they are indicating to you why it is better to come them versus going to another salon. It's called being competitive and providing excellent customer service.

I tip when I deem it necessary -

Just my thoughts - sorry so wordy!!!

Last edited:

Demi27

When I did got to a salon, I used to tip. However, I used to waitress and bartend so I'm sort of partial to tipping.

However, I am NOT tipping for bad service. PERIOD.

Much2much41

Meaning. Everybody gets the same courteous and friendly treament. Everyone gets haircare tips and advice regardless. Everyone is made to feel welcome. I don't expect tips from my clients. It's just extra. To my clients who tip I do tend to throw in extra's like a free trim or spot relaxer and such. I really think it's human nature to want to give little extras to those who do it for you. I am sure you won't see it my way but the ones who receive the little extras know exactly what I am talking about.

:yep: Yup, because I tip well, and when I need to come in at the last minute, or for a special occasion, they tend to be much more accomodating. A stylist came in to do my and my mother's hair for a special occasion even though she had taken off that week, and she wasn't the least bothered by it. There are perks that come with giving a little extra change, or at least that has been my experience. But to each her own.

neeki

Yes, I tip. This may be cheap, but I tip $5. If I don't like my hair that much or I'm on a low on funds, only $3. I don't tip shampoo girls.

If I really don't have enough money to tip, I probably won't be at the salon. On the rare occasions I get my hair braided, I tip the stylist if she is someone I know, but I don't tip when I go to those expensive African shops where they charge a grip. You shouldn't feel obligated, IMO.

I tip $5 no matter what I'm having done and I don't tip shampoo girls. I'm paying to see the stylist, not the shampoo girl. But the stylist can give up her tip if she wants. And I almost never tip at braid shops.

Thanks OP for this thread. I've been thinking about how little I tip since someone in another thread mentioned tipping $25 for a $55 service. I'm glad I'm not the only cheap one.

angelp

Why is the comment "way out of whack"? I don't understand the logic behind not tipping based on owner status or the car one drives so I asked for asked for an explanation. My comment doesn't really apply to you because you are a special case because you're putting way more money into the stylist's pocket than most women (even those who tip generously) because you're going every week. Any stylist would prefer you to someone like me who goes once a month and gives a $10 tip. I'm still curious about why discrimination against the owner vs the other stylists.

It wasn't a strict analogy...I was just providing food for thought of how people might feel if someone who was employing them took into account what kind of car they drove or what kind of purse they owned. Most people would probably feel it shouldn't be a factor. I think it's a similar situation.

Last edited:

angelp

With regard to the "financial risks of having a business" That is not the customer's obligation to assess and that is not a justifiable reason for tipping. You go to the salon to pay for services rendered - not determine the profit margin.
Getting a tip is an extra and should not be relied on to maintain one's business.

When the stylist determines their prices I am pretty sure they take their business into account as well as the potential for "financial risks".When they go over and beyond, they are indicating to you why it is better to come them versus going to another salon. It's called being competitive and providing excellent customer service.

I tip when I deem it necessary -

Just my thoughts - sorry so wordy!!!

I'm the person that brought up financial risk and hopefully I didn't imply that you only tip just because they have financial risks. I'm going under the assumption that the person has done a good job with your hair. I mentioned the financial risks because it appeared people didn't tip the owner just because they're the owner.

In fact, don't even consider the financial risks and why is an owner exempt from a tip when providing the same service as another stylist?

angelp

I tip $5 no matter what I'm having done and I don't tip shampoo girls. I'm paying to see the stylist, not the shampoo girl. But the stylist can give up her tip if she wants. And I almost never tip at braid shops.

Thanks OP for this thread. I've been thinking about how little I tip since someone in another thread mentioned tipping $25 for a $55 service. I'm glad I'm not the only cheap one.

That's almost 50% of the service!

tbaby_8

Tipping is the customers preference, but just like don'tspeakdefeat said, when you give a little you get a little. I give my clients that come regularly, (every two- three weeks) little extras and that is because they do come and they send friends. That is not to say that I don't treat my clients that come to me every couple of months any less. I give them great customer service because I try to treat people like I want to be treated.

You give your loyal customers little extras for being loyal and for their business and advertising. I thank that shows that you appreciate them for helping you build your business.

I tip because I am a stylist and have been a waitress, the little extra helps esepcially if you are trying to build your business and your clientele.

Newtogrow

Unless, I didn't like the final product or the service was less than satisfactory- I always tip at least $15 dollars.

My last appointment lasted 5 hours and the stylist did not give me the style I described. $70.00 was all that they got from me-which was their price $10 for wash and $60 for flat twists and single twists.

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
I tip my stylist ($10.00) when I get a touch up. She works on my hair exclusively, is polite, professional, and is an excellent stylist.

I tip (well, used to - haven't been to a stylist in a while)...

20% for the stylist and usually $5 for the shampoo girl/assistant. I (personally) think you should tip people that provide services for you.

Junebug D

I usually do, but I don't think it's necessary. The only time I didn't tip was when I got $220 braids. She charged me an extra $20 for a highlight color, and then asked for the full payment when she was only 40% finished with my hair.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I was a weekly client, I always tipped. However, the amount of my tip would vary upon the type of service I felt I had received that week.

Since I was weekly: Did she take me right away or did I have to wait, how did my hair look/feel afterwards, how was her mood/attitude (which varied from week to week) and if I felt she rushed it the tip would automatically go down. If she did something totally jacked up her tip would be: :flyingwit Don't let a car hit you on the way out.:auto::auto::auto:

Now that I am a DIY, I can tip myself handsomely with Products.

Last edited:

zombi

If the stylist did a good job, I will usually tip. However, I rarely was good enough to go to the stylist regularly, and when I DID go regularly I didn't tip as much -- I figured they were getting my money much more often so the need to tip was less?

And if I am NOT happy with my results, I will not tip. Like the last time I went and she chopped off like 2 inches when I said "micro trim"... yeah, no tip.

Misshairdiva

I go to my stylist every other week. I just get a rollerset then she blows out my roots. She only charges $25, so I always tip $5.
I love the work she does, she never has "bad" days on my hair, always the same, looking great! I do also tip her in stuff that I make in addition to the money like lip balms, soaps and stuff. That seems to light up her face more than the money I give her!

sky_blu

Not sure if I voted in here but I added "no" but it should've been "it depends". She already charges alot and has me in there waiting for 8 hours (no exaggeration I get there at 8 Im out of there close to 6) so me tipping her for bad customer service is ____. Now even after all of the wait if my hair is just off the hook I will tip and there have been quite a few times I've waited forever and a day and tipped because my hair was just that bad and felt good after I was done :ohwell: I know, I know.

shasha8685

When I was "trying my stylist out" I tipped maybe $2-$5. Personally, I have to build up a certain level of trust with my stylist before I tip more than that. Yeah, you might be doing my hair but I may not like what you are doing and there isn't any guarantee that I'll return to your salon. However, once my stylist gave me the cut I have now, I was sold. Generally, I'll tip her $10.

Also, I was taught that if someone is doing you nails/feet/ hair and they do a good job, you should tip them.

LivingDol1

i always tip my stylist... i don't go often, and only one person does my hair, so i don't see a problem with it. i tip between 15% and 20% depending how pleased i was with the service.

when i used to get my hair braided, sometimes there would be 2 people braiding my hair, or one taking out the braids and then my braider braiding my whole head. depending on the task and time involved, i would tip the second person.

i think it's important to tip (for good service). my mother has been going to the same woman for the last 10 years every tuesday and she always tips.

Last edited:

Moniquenuss

It depends. Ive been going to her for about 10 years and sometimes she doesnt like to listen and will cut or jack up my hair and I wont tip her! If she listens to what I ask her to do I will leave a healthy tip. I dont really go to the salon anymore because she moved and her prices have sky rocketed

naturalmanenyc

I normally do not tip business owners but did start recently. I went back to the salon recently after a long break and I did tip the stylists - both times.

I thought they both did a great job with my BKT and since they did not charge anything outrageous (one shop wanted $375), I did tip. One stylist was definitely not the owner, only renting a booth, so I normally would have tipped him anyway.

My second stylist (who I plan to use again) is part owner of her newly opened salon. The place was really gorgeous & you could tell that they put a lot of hard work into the design & decor. My stylist worked exclusively on my hair the whole time and answered all of my questions. Not to mention I just liked her spirit. She did a great job on my hair and with my trim so I felt that she deserved a little extra. I plan to recommend her to others as well.

gmurphy562

If I feel they're overcharging me no I don't tip, but considering I go to the same stylist every 3-4 months for a press and curl, she changes the price everytime, it may be $35 if she's having a good day or $65 (full price) when shes not doing so well or she maybe feeling generous and charge $45 all for the same hairstyle. I wonder if she notices that she does this? But after my last experience at the salon I'm a DIYer. Hopefully I'll find a new stylist whom I'm comfortable with, anyone know stylist out here in Long Beach,CA or Southern California I'll travel high and low for a Great Stylist!!!, lol.

I tip 99% of the time. The only times I won't tip is if i feel that my hair looks like pooh, if I feel she/he took some short cuts..or if I feel she over charged me or suggested something I really didn't need, like a trim or something.

kriolagirl

I always tip...especially for serivces that are going on my body(hair, massages, waxing, nails, etc). If I don't have alot of extra cash then I will do 10% but usually more. I factor the tip amount into whatever monies I am putting aside for the service. I've been fortunate to have good relationships with stylists over the years and I can say that showing my appreciation for their work translated to money saved for me over time. I never had to pay for extras like trims, treatments, etc...and times when my own cash was low and I couldn't afford to come in I was taken care of anyway. So there is something said for developing a good relationship with a stylist you trust.

On the few times that I've been to stylists that have done poor work I still tipped the minimum...but I never went back.