Update: After 7 years of Growing My WL Hair...

BeautifulFlower

...I realize the journey was way more fun than the destination! Enjoy and have a lot fun with the process of achieving your dream length because once you do, well...its a beast to manage so you may often do nothing to it!

I joined this forum back in Oct 2007 and was a very active member for about 5 or so years. I learned everything that helped me grow my hair from this forum. Back then growing my hair was my complete obsession and I did it!!! From chin length to waistlength in about 4 years.

I grew my hair to waistlength, cut it some, grew it back...and now...well...I don't really do much to it. Its just a big mass of hair that's mostly in a bun or a weave. It's hovering somewhere between waist length and hip length. I'll straigthen it one day and check.

Anyway, I know you gyals like pics and I don't take many but there's some attached.

The pic in the green dress is from the summer 2013 and my hair has grown longer since then of course.

And the bush hair is from about 1 month ago. Its cray cray in there.

Attachments

• image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 899
  • image-3.jpeg
    image-3.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 912

Subscribe

Congratulations!!!!! :lick::lick::lick::lick: Job well done!

You have a beautiful head of hair :yep:

Can we get some more details? Are you natural or relaxed?

Whats your regi?

Last edited:

ronie

...I realize the journey was way more fun than the destination! Enjoy and have a lot fun with the process of achieving your dream length because once you do, well...its a beast to manage so you may often do nothing to it! I joined this forum back in Oct 2007 and was a very active member for about 5 or so years. I learned everything that helped me grow my hair from this forum. Back then growing my hair was my complete obsession and I did it!!! From chin length to waistlength in about 4 years. I grew my hair to waistlength, cut it some, grew it back...and now...well...I don't really do much to it. Its just a big mass of hair that's mostly in a bun or a weave. It's hovering somewhere between waist length and hip length. I'll straigthen it one day and check. Anyway, I know you gyals like pics and I don't take many but there's some attached. The pic in the green dress is from the summer 2013 and my hair has grown longer since then of course. And the bush hair is from about 1 month ago. Its cray cray in there.
Congratulations. You have a beautiful head of hair. Can we get some tips and hair regi? Thanks for sharing.

BeautifulFlower

Regimen...gosh I haven't thought about that word in a long time...

To get here...I was a militant LHCFer. Co-washing, low to no heat, low manipulation (even though my hands was in my hair consistently:look:).

Honestly there are no shortcuts or magic potions. Just basic principles of moisture, low heat, consistent daily care, and time (and I do mean years).

Now...I do the same things but a lot less action and thought.
- Co-wash or just run water in my head every 2-3 days
- Moisture with Shea Moisture moisturizer (LOVE this brand) and oils (coconut oil, castor oil for edges, wonder 8 oil)
- Focus on keeping the ends moist
- Shampoo once a weekend with Shea moisture shampoo
- Buns are my go-to style; I also make make my own U-part wigs which I do enjoy wearing
- Detangle once every 1 to 2 weeks.
- I am relaxed but I have thick meduim-coarse hair so I'm often confused for being natural

When I get tired of it all, I put in a weave.

movingforward13

I do what I want...
Regimen...gosh I haven't thought about that word in a long time... To get here...I was a militant LHCFer. Co-washing, low to no heat, low manipulation (even though my hands was in my hair consistently:look:). Honestly there are no shortcuts or magic potions. Just basic principles of moisture, low heat, consistent daily care, and time (and I do mean years). Now...I do the same things but a lot less action and thought. - Co-wash or just run water in my head every 2-3 days - Moisture with Shea Moisture moisturizer (LOVE this brand) and oils (coconut oil, castor oil for edges, wonder 8 oil) - Focus on keeping the ends moist - Shampoo once a weekend with Shea moisture shampoo - Buns are my go-to style; I also make make my own U-part wigs which I do enjoy wearing - Detangle once every 1 to 2 weeks. - I am relaxed but I have thick meduim-coarse hair so I'm often confused for being natural When I get tired of it all, I put in a weave.
thank you. I am wrestling with the decision to relax or be a straight natural. I have very thick coarse hair and I think I will have to use a lot of heat to keep it straight. It may be better for me to relax. I love your hair.

atlien11

Thanks for being honest about how hair life is once you have "arrived" :) I actually thought this might be the case (the journey is funner than the arrival).

Curious as to why you would use weaves with waist length hair...Was this for low manipulation or because you didn't feel like doing it? TIA!!

-atlien11

Last edited:

BeautifulFlower

How often do you relax?

About every 3 to 4 months.

Thanks for being honest about how hair life is once you have "arrived" :) I actually thought this might be the case (the journey is funner than the arrival).

Curious as to why you would use weaves with waist length hair...Was this for low manipulation or because you didn't feel like doing it? TIA!!

-atlien11

I LOVE WEAVES! I would wear them with knee length. :lol: It helps with low manipulation but honestly they allow a versatility that you can't achieve with your real hair unless you don't mind lots of color, cutting, heat or manipulation.

And I LOVE making my own U part wigs now. I've made about 8. They all look fantastic. Especially if you want the look of a weave but the ability to access your hair daily or weekly. Highly recommend this protective method if you don't like the commitment of a sew-in weave.

I remember you @BeautifulFlower! So glad to see you back. You've always had a beautiful head of hair and a beautiful e-persona.

Thank You! :kiss:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I want to make a cake out of your hair!!!! Yummy delicious hair!!!! (Just kidding....). Lol ;)

Your hair is beautiful. Glad to see u back. The update is fabulous. Now take more pics so I can obsess over those gorgeous strands.

BeautifulFlower

@BeautifulFlower

Lovely hair! So you don't detangle but once every two weeks? Does that mean you don't comb your hair through or when you cowash?

Nope! I know...dangerous! I will wet it, dry it, moisturize with leave-in and oil, smooth it back with a soft brush, tie it down with a scarf.

Not recommended unless you know how your hair will react but a lot BSL+ ladies I've known from the past do it. Some heads thrive when you dont touch it very much. Only to moisture and make it neat.

virtuenow

Nope! I know...dangerous! I will wet it, dry it, moisturize with leave-in and oil, smooth it back with a soft brush, tie it down with a scarf. Not recommended unless you know how your hair will react but a lot BSL+ ladies I've known from the past do it. Some heads thrive when you dont touch it very much. Only to moisture and make it neat.
Welcome back, thanks for stopping in and for creating the "Everyday Hair" thread. I always thought you were natural. I also do the above, and do not touch my hair for 2weeks at a time except to moisturize and neaten/fluff/smooth. It's the ultimate low manipulation routine. glad to know the technique is pro verified!