Growing out my perm

RDT

I've been growing out my perm for almost 2 years this summer and I still have 7 inches of perm in my hair. When I wash my hair its a nightmare now, it gets really tangeled and it always seems dry. Is there anyone that can share if they have gone thru. similar issues and the products they might have used to maintain the length and above all a healthy head of hair.

Lute

What products have you been using?

Shampoo, Conditioners, Moisturizers. Also you should check the transitioners thread.

Rapunzel*

I've been growing out my perm for almost 2 years this summer and I still have 7 inches of perm in my hair. When I wash my hair its a nightmare now, it gets really tangeled and it always seems dry. Is there anyone that can share if they have gone thru. similar issues and the products they might have used to maintain the length and above all a healthy head of hair.

it seems like your hair is ready for the big cut:grin:

RDT

What's your wash day regimen? Have you tried washing your hair in plaits?

I wash my hair every 2 -3 weeks, simply to avoid the hassle its taking to wash it. I use very basic products as I am new to all this and I'm still using products like Optimum or Pantene for natural hair and relaxed hair. I've not wash my hair in plaits before but that's a great idea i will do that next time. Alsio have you heard of conditioner washing your hair, my hair seems really dry to me, and when I comb or brush it i get a lot of small hairs on the dresser or floor where its broken. My hair is right at my bra stap and i would like to continue to let it grow.

loolalooh

I wash my hair every 2 -3 weeks, simply to avoid the hassle its taking to wash it. I use very basic products as I am new to all this and I'm still using products like Optimum or Pantene for natural hair and relaxed hair. I've not wash my hair in plaits before but that's a great idea i will do that next time. Alsio have you heard of conditioner washing your hair, my hair seems really dry to me, and when I comb or brush it i get a lot of small hairs on the dresser or floor where its broken. My hair is right at my bra stap and i would like to continue to let it grow.

Yea, I HIGHLY suggest washing & conditioning your hair in plaits. That way your hair doesn't tangle and mat as much. Leave your hair in plaits as you wash. While conditioning, take down a plait, apply conditioner, then plait it back up. Let the conditioner sit, then detangle each section one by one. This process will help minimize tangles.

Some ladies co-wash for moisture purposes. So for your dryness, you can try that. Also, make sure you have a good moisturizer (no mineral oil; no petroleum) on hand.

sweettrini

RDT - First of all, Welcome to the forum :welcome:

There are lots of ladies on here who are transitioning (myself included). My tips are reduce brushing and combing. With the two textures on your head, you are bound to get some minimal breakage, esp if you are combing and brushing everyday. The key to managing that is moisture, moisture, moisture and low manipulation.

I condition was every other day when it is warm enough to and in the summer I CW every day. I only detangle once a week after deep conditioning with a wide tooth comb like a Mebco or K-cutter. The rest of the time I finger comb to detangle in the shower. Use a good moisturizer and seal with a light oil.

Use protective styling when you can - buns, phonie ponies, wigs. Or better yet, if you can cornrow your hair, that will allow you to leave your hair alone for days at a time.

You say your hair is currently BSL. What length would it be if you BC'd now ? Long enough to pull into a ponytail? When do you plan to BC? Or are you waiting for your natural hair to grow out to BSL too?

Andy1979

I feel your pain. I transitioned for 17 months. I actually wanted to wait until all the natural hair was bra strap, but that is a REAL hassel!
You really should consider doing the BC. I have enough hair to put in a ponytail, so after 2 years, I know you should too, so I say go for it.

It's scary...I know but I am having so much fun learning my new texture, and I don't have to worry about having products for both textures anymore.

Good Luck!