Curlformers

freckledface

How much did all 72 cost? Do theu only last 1 day? If so, do you try to salvage it or just do new style? If they do last longer than 1 day,.how do you preserve? Pin curls?

I spent 63.99 for 40 @ sallys and 21 and some change on Amazon for the knock off (40). I could not justify spending 140 on rollers I may not use. If you like I'll let you know how the compare when I get the 2nd pack in later this week.

girlonfire

I spent 63.99 for 40 @ sallys and 21 and some change on Amazon for the knock off (40). I could not justify spending 140 on rollers I may not use. If you like I'll let you know how the compare when I get the 2nd pack in later this week.

Please do, thanks! Were those the long and extra wide (barrel) or long and wide (spiral)?

AJellyCake

Also I did twist the. How small are the sections yall are using? I have the wide ones.

freckledface
I haven't done Curlformer sets too often, but my last set came out really well.

For me, the key is to have a loose plan of how I will use the Curlformers beforehand. So I split my hair in 4 sections, and then keep track of the number of Curlformers I put in each section. Because of my hair types, I know I may need slightly more in the back than in the front. But just going at it without splitting my hair first means I will usually run out or put too much hair in one to keep from running out.

I have thick, dense hair and need about 60 Curlformers.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I'm doing my first Curlformers set tonight. Confused on whether to use a wrap lotion or curl enhancing pudding/gel. I have several different brands of each, so I got options...lol

I have fine hair that doesn't keep a curl that well. So my ideal product should have a slightly firmer hold without being tacky or flaky.

So, please help!!!

girlonfire

I'm doing my first Curlformers set tonight. Confused on whether to use a wrap lotion or curl enhancing pudding/gel. I have several different brands of each, so I got options...lol

I have fine hair that doesn't keep a curl that well. So my ideal product should have a slightly firmer hold without being tacky or flaky.

So, please help!!!

I think lottabody setting lotion is a good pick. It can have a bit too much hold if you use too much or don't diliute it with water, but otherwise, results are silk with nice hold. Check out mariaantoinette on yt, she's a professional who used lottabody on her curformer set. I don't know how it held, but her results were bomb!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
So, I finished my set. One major complaint with the knockoffs from China....the rubber "mouth" isn't nearly as thick as the real Curlformers. I know I wasted more time struggling to get the fake ones open. Once I got the learning curve down with the real deal - I was able to do the back of my head rather quickly.

But then I ran out of those and switched to the knockoffs. I noticed rather quickly that they were the same material EXCEPT for the part that needs to hold open to pull the rod out. Most were difficult to squeeze open and would just fold in half instead of opening. If your fingers slip while pulling them thru - your hair twists and gets tangled inside of the former.

I hope I got a "bad" batch. But that's my cautionary tale about buying the ones from ebay.

girlonfire

Bump? Eagerly waiting for photos. Still looking at the barrel curlers. They are just long enough for my hair, but I'm not at my goal length yet. I wonder what I'd do then i guess i could just move them a few inches dow. Maybe they'll come out with a 29 in like theh did for the spiral curls

freckledface

Ok I am not yet done with my set but I will say don't waste your money on the real ones. I actually like the knock off better. Some of the real ones are very very loose on the ends and makes the roots saggy. The only complaint I have with the ones from Amazon is the hook. It's not as sturdy.

amii

I use them every wash day which is Sunday. I like that I don't have to do so much to my hair during the week. Another benefit is that my hair dries faster, not over night or over the course of 48 hours like a braid or twist out. The set is so smooth that I could leave my bun in over night but I like to detangle a bit so I take it down. I use the off brand ones which are stiffer.
I wonder if anyone has experienced thinning from using these? It might just be my imagination but it looks that way. Maybe it's an effect of seeing my hair semi straight everyday?

shortt29

Shared this in another thread earlier this week but I'm back to my curl formers!!! Love them! They lasted 3 days with pin curls at night to keep them up...I can get 5 days out of a set but I'm currently going extra hard in the gym :)

image-1751040964.jpg

image-1649217480.jpg

krikit96

Shared this in another thread earlier this week but I'm back to my curl formers!!! Love them! They lasted 3 days with pin curls at night to keep them up...I can get 5 days out of a set but I'm currently going extra hard in the gym :)

This is gorgeous! I wonder if they're really that easy to do, I've seen them in the stores but I'm skeptical & it looks like you don't get enough in a package... are these better than Caruso curlers?

shortt29

This is gorgeous! I wonder if they're really that easy to do, I've seen them in the stores but I'm skeptical & it looks like you don't get enough in a package... are these better than Caruso curlers?

Thanks! I only used Caruso's when I was relaxed so it was a completely different experience...now that I am natural, all rolled styles are just different to me. But I love Curl Formers! I didn't buy the single packs, I purchased the kit from Sally's a few years ago so I have just enough to get my whole head done :) and YES they are easy once you get the hang of them

reeko43

I love curlformers. Paid half price for some off Ebay. I have outgrown those and ordered the knockoffs. I use the authentic wand because the knockoff one is cheap. For me the knockoffs work like the real ones. I have been using them with no heat to keep my hair stretched since the beginning of this year.

girlonfire

I did a curlformer set yesterday. So here's my set. I really never know how to style my hair when doing a curlformer set. The last pic is the styled pic.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Your set is gorgeous! How long does it last for you/how do you keep up? What products did you use?

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Your set is gorgeous! How long does it last for you/how do you keep up? What products did you use?

Thank you...I use infusium 23 spray leave in and carol daughters serum then Jane Carter's foam. It doesn't last me long bc I don't know how to style it or tie it up at night. I feel like once my hair gets longer it will be easier to maintain lol.

FollicleFanatic

2 things:

1. If doing a CF set to stretch for flatironing, do it immediately!

I tried to straighten the next day on non-manipulated curls and it aas a battle to detangle and get straight without yanking my hair out through the comb's teeth. I've never had this prob, but I always straighten on a fresh CF set. I was sick so I should have known better. So I rewet the 4 sections with water and sprayed them wuth Aphogee green tea mist and put the CF back in. Came out nice, whew!

2. My technique for preserving curls with a bonnet!

Bent my head over to the front, covered with my bonnet so curls would mostly be gathered in the front. Gently tucked side curls on top to lay with crown curls. Removed bonnet the next day, shook twice and the curls were still well preserved just a bit stretched out.

HHG

Nazaneen

I'm going to try these ONE more time lol. I'm gonna get the bootleg ones this time (i have a set of 8 already). I need the extra long/extra wide variety. I watched a vid and altered my technique and it seems I may be able to use them more efficiently.

girlonfire

I'm going to try these ONE more time lol. I'm gonna get the bootleg ones this time (i have a set of 8 already). I need the extra long/extra wide variety. I watched a vid and altered my technique and it seems I may be able to use them more efficiently.

they make bootleg extra long extra wide? I've been searching but i hadn't found any

girlonfire

You know, i honestly wish i could be more sure about this. It seems the majority of ladies here like the knock offs but i have to wonder, are all knockoffs created equal?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
You know, i honestly wish i could be more sure about this. It seems the majority of ladies here like the knock offs but i have to wonder, are all knockoffs created equal?

girlonfire

The only difference is the packaging and possibly the stick. I haven't had any problems with the two sticks that were included with my knock offs, but some ladies prefer the original stick, which you can buy at Sally's for $3.79.

You can buy the knock offs and use your savings for DC.

You can replace the cheap PVC bag they come in with a bag from around the house i.e. those Sally Beauty bags they pass out for promos etc.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
girlonfire

The only difference is the packaging and possibly the stick. I haven't had any problems with the two sticks that were included with my knock offs, but some ladies prefer the original stick, which you can buy at Sally's for $3.79.

You can buy the knock offs and use your savings for DC.

You can replace the cheap PVC bag they come in with a bag from around the house i.e. those Sally Beauty bags they pass out for promos etc.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

ITA except I have noticed a difference with the stick. The knockoff sticks always snagged my hair and I had two different versions of it. The hook shape is different and less sturdy, so I have an easier time with the real one.

Now, I always recommend buying the knockoff curlformers and the real stick. However, my sister doesn't care which stick she uses. Every head is different.

mahogany_horizons

Do you all pluck out the curls that you make with this set? I just got my curlformers in the mail last night, and can't wait to try them this weekend. But, I really cannot see myself wearing that set so tight. I'll try it and see, but I think I might like the set better if I pluck it out after it's formed.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Do you all pluck out the curls that you make with this set? I just got my curlformers in the mail last night, and can't wait to try them this weekend. But, I really cannot see myself wearing that set so tight. I'll try it and see, but I think I might like the set better if I pluck it out after it's formed.

Girl separate til your hearts desire! I have to separate a ton bc my hair is so thin and I love full hair.

Phoenix14

For those naturals who are using curlformers just to stretch their hair and not necessarily to wear as a style, do you think the Extra Long Barrel Curls would be best for that?

toaster

For those naturals who are using curlformers just to stretch their hair and not necessarily to wear as a style, do you think the Extra Long Barrel Curls would be best for that?

Phoenix14

I have those (haven't used them in a while) and while they do get your roots straight and give you a bigger curl I think the extra long and wide ones would be better for actually straightening your hair. You use smaller sections, and that's really what helps. Plus 32 of the barrel curlformers doesn't even fit under my Pibbs dryer.