Fall Steaming Challenge (Sept to Dec 2010)

Method of Steaming

• A table-top or floor steamer

Votes: 132 76.7%
  • Heat/Towel Method

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Other Method (Please describe in the thread)

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Since it seems everyone wants it but no one wants to start it, I am gonna do it by hijacking the old thread info. Anyone interested in starting up on SEPTEMBER 1, 2010, give a shout out. I will add your name to the official list!

So, some are asking, "What's the big deal??" Well, here are some of the benefits of steaming.

Benefits of Steam Treatments

- ZERO TANGLES and NO POOF.

According to Diane DeCosta and many others the benefits of steam conditioning are the following:
- Better Circulation in Scalp leading to better hair growth
- Cleanses Scalp, removing dirt and dead skin
- Brings moisture to your Roots and hair shaft
- Leaves your hair soft and smooth
- Great for Dandruff Sufferers
- Stops Dryness and Hair Breakage by outer layer of the hair shaft with moisture, allowing the conditioner to penetrate deeply into the cuticle layer.
- Makes hair stronger and healthier
- Improves Hair Color Treatments
- Can also act as a Facial Steamer
- It is especially good for those with locs, natural hair, and color-treated hair
- Helps Seal in Moisture to help reduce breakage (MANY ladies complain about ENDLESS Dryness on their Tresses)
- Helps with reversion on natural hair.... The cuticle is already swollen with moisture.
- Hair feels SILKY smooth - and "hangs" with weight.
DID I say - It promotes GROWTH?????

The largest benefits for me....
NO POOF in humidity
NO tangles in the final rinse.
NO Dryness - even after a flat iron attacked me, there is no need for a baggy, etc after this, even days later

What methods of steaming should be used:

1) Tabletop or Floor steamers

There are lots of different models. I ordered my steamer off of Amazon for roughly $125. A floor steamer looks like this:

Table top steamers are convenient for those with limited space. One such type of steamer (although there are others) is the Huetiful Steamer. Currently the price for these seem to be around $120 (more or less).

Whichever one you choose, please do your homework. Many require the use of distilled water or at least filtered water which limits the build up of minerals on the internal mechanical parts.

2) Homemade Steaming Methods – for those who do not have a steamer, yet.:

a) Hot Towel Method – Check out this website, there are pics too: How to do the Towel Method
or go to YouTube and check for “Baggy Method” or Steam Towel.

b) Facial Steamer conversionTo be added. Some have purchased a less expensive facial steamer for use on their hair. Need help locating the methods tho.

How long and often should it be used?

This is a very common question and if very specific to the type of hair treatment you are doing and the level of damage your hair has.
Generally people steam their hair no more than 2 times in a week for about 20 to 30 minutes to get the full benefit from it. Some sessions can go over an hour for more damaged hair.
After your hair steamer treatment your hair will feel a little heavier and full of moisture, during this time handle your hair with care , wait till your hair and scalp have cooled down for styling.
Damaged Hair - Increase Temperature Decrease Steam if possible
Chemicals or Color Treatment - Skip cooling step
Conditioning Thick Hair - Extend Steam Time

Some examples of times for different hair types, these times are very short they can just be extended just times it by 3 or 4
For all Hair Types - Moderate Mist and Temperature , 8 minutes warm and 2 minutes cool down
Hair Products that Absorb Slowly - Low Mist and Moderate Temperature , 10 minutes warm and 2 minutes cool down
(this section from this website: Hair Steamer Treatment, Setup and Benefits )

How to prepare the hair for Steaming:

Basically, I wash (poo) my hair, add oil (JBCO & Vatika) and my favorite moisturizing conditioner. Others use a protein conditioner or just plain oils of their choice under the steamer. Experiment with what works for you! I recently read someone used it as a method of getting that nasty cigarette smell out of their hair after a night out. She set under for about 10 minutes or so and was happy with the results.

*WARNING*

Consider your hair Type and routine - You don't want SETBACKS!!!!
If you are natural - Please let us know..... Naturals tend to need a bit more moisture than Relaxed, as the relaxed girls - may not only need moisture - but protein - and lotssss of it. Again - you must consider your hair type, regimen, etc....

OVER MOISTURIZING can lead to other problems - so tread carefully. Some have found success with weekly or bi-weekly steaming. Others find it successful enough with less frequent steaming. PLEASE do what works for your hair. Its best to err on the side of caution and start slowly to see how your hair reacts.

You can do any style ( Blow dry, Flat iron, Twists, shingling, and the like )with this treatment.....I usually only do this on SHAMPOOED hair... - so - post poo..
Every style will be supple - soft - and frizz will be dramatically reduced....

Even those with Braids can do this!!!

RULES & Tools:
here is what you need:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215663&highlight=home+steam
- If you have a steamer ( congratulations!!!)

Name
Natural or relaxed?
How frequently will you steam your hair???

CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! This is an ORDER LADIES!!! If you are doing your treat every two weeks - please let us see the beauty - then you can update us whenever you wanna....

Talk to us about how your hair feels in b/t treats!!!Dont Skip this!!!
You may steam with DC's - Hot oils, etc... Let us know!
AFTER STEAMING - SPRAY your hair with cold water - To seal your Cuticle - VERY important!
This will last 4 months.....September 1 - December 31
We will party after this!!!

You ladies totally ROCK!!!!
Here are more threads about Steam................

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=213639&highlight=steamers

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=4215709#post4215709

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215967&highlight=steam+treatments

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=211923&highlight=steam+treatments

Challengers:
1. MzTeaze (Natural, Steamer)
2. PositivelyRadiant
3. ChocolateLove2010
4. Sing Brina
5. Winona (Natural, Steamer)
6. arm445
7. fletgee
8. hola_lo2002
9. Chaosbutterfly (Relaxed, Steamer)
10. Kinchen (Natural, Steamer)
11. mEmYSELFaNDj (Natural, Steamer)
12. Solitude (Relaxed, Steamer)
13. Quita (Transitioning, Steamer)
14. Imani (Transitioning, Steamer)
15. TressNdistress (Relaxed, Steamer)
16. PistolWhip
17. lolascurls (Transitioning, Steamer)
18. lewanda (Relaxed, Steamer)
19. sqzbly1908
20. Akemi (Natural, Hot Towel/Hood)
21. cutenss (Natural, Steamer)
22. Firstborn2 (Natural, Steamer)
23. Ltown (Natural, Steamer)
24. Ms_CoCo37 (Natural, Steamer)
25. GANicole (Natural, Steamer)
26. chocolat79 (Natural, Steamer)
27. Salsarisma (Relaxer, Steamer)
28. Janet' (Natural, Steamer)
29. jasnineml (Hot Towel/Hood)
30. Kasey (Hot Towel/Hood)
31. CurliDiva (Natural, Steamer)
32. Ms. Mimi (Natural, Hot Towel/Hood)
33. princess246 (Natural, Steamer)
34. Forever in Bloom (Natural, Steamer)
35. PJaye (Natural, Steamer)
36. guyaneek (Natural, Steamer)
37. hair4romheaven (Natural, Steamer)
38. blackpearl1993 (Relaxer, Steamer)
39. shay72 (Natural, Steamer)
40. Cream Tee (Relaxer, Steamer)
41. missjae09 (Natural, Steamer)
42. makeupvixen (Natural, Steamer)
43. Mrs. Verde (Natural, Steamer)
44. Mena (Hot Towel/Hood)
45. Lisa0821 (Relaxer, Steamer)
46. Chameleon chick (Natural, Steamer)
47. MsWowFactor (Other)
48. rtscent
49. Kayte (Natural, Towel/Hood)
50. Moodyma'am (Texlaxed, Steamer)
51. misslaraj (Natural, Steamer)
52. aymone (Steamer)
53. jjamiah (Relaxed, Steamer)
54. newbeginnings2010 (Natural, Steamer)
55. sonia1965 (Texlaxed, Steamer)
56. davisbr88 (Natural, Steamer)
57. ajoke (Natural, Steamer)
58. nicki6 (Relaxed, Steamer)
59. crvlngrhair (Relaxed, Steamer)
60. beany (Relaxed, Towel/Hood)
61. MichelleMyBelle
62. Beany (Relaxed, Towel/Hood)
63. Wiislim
64. adaniels29
65. believer131 (Relaxed, Steamer)
66. rossy2010 (Relaxed, Steamer)
67. joseelie (Transitioning, Towel/Hood)
68. ese88 (Relaxed, Steamer)
69. UGQueen (Relaxed, Steamer)
70. bronzebomb (Natural, Steamer)
71. poutchi (Transitioning, Steamer)
72. AlishaB (Relaxed, Steamer)
73. hanna_light (Natural, Steamer)
74. Unique Blessed (Steamer)
75. phatnat12841 (Natural, Towel/Hood)
76. faithVA (Natural, Steamer)
77. hairedity (Steamer)
78. Bryantgurls (Relaxed, Towel)
79. carsam
80. prayin4fullWL2012
81. BrooklynQueen (Transitioning, Towel)
82. KnitChick (Natural, Steamer)
83. giahiannia
84. babezazveta (Towel)
85. Ca*Nappy (Natural, Steamer)
86. Golden*Brown (Transitioning, Steam)
87. winona
88. sweetnovember
89. fxdiva
90. Lady Macgyver (Transitioning, Steamer)
91. Amoreofcurls (Towel)
92. Mook's hair
93. Qurlyqt (Natural, Steamer)
94. Hairsnob (Steamer)
95. Laidbak (Relaxed, Steamer)
96. freida1980 (Towel)
97. jovan787 (Transitioning, Steam)
98. kim1006 (Steam)

Last edited:

Vintageglam

yay bring it on :yay:

Name: PositivelyRadiant
Natural or relaxed? Natural
How frequently will you steam your hair??? 1x week

Last edited:

SingBrina

I would like to join, but don't know anything about this.... What exactly is a steamer, is it the one that Joico has? Where to get it? Is that the stuff you put water in or something?

winona

HEHEHE I was lurking on the other thread. I am definitely in because I really need to use my steamer more. Sheer laziness is the only thing stopping me:)

I am natural and will be steaming bi monthly
I will post my starting pic from July 2 because I am also in the HYH challenge:) Good luck ladies
I have the PIBBS steamer. After the steamer goes off if you throw on a plastic cap/bag until your hair cools it is AMAZING:)

BTW my pics on hair that was released from a ponytail but I forgot to stretch my sides:)

Attachments

• IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3242.jpg
    IMG_3242.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

13StepsAhead

I've been waiting for this sign me up!

ETA: I'm transitioning 13 months post and will be steaming weekly with my DC.

Last edited:

mzteaze

I will update the main text because I think it lacks a little bit of information. I will try to describe the methods altho I think many will use an actual steamer.

Welcome to everyone tho!

hola_lo2002

Yesssssss!!!! Add me to the list!!!! I just got my Huetiful hair steamer today!!!!!! I Know we're supposed to start in septembre but I can't wait y'all. So i'll try it this week to see how it works!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy!!!!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Yay, I'm in!!

My name is Chaosbutterfly.
And I'm a relaxed 4a/4b, who will be steaming once a week.
I have a stand-up steamer from Salon R US (love it) and I use Nexxus Humectress, honey and some kind of oil (usually Vatika and/or Castor) to steam.

Here's my starting point:

I'm excited!

Last edited:

mEmYSELFaNDj

Im in. And just like hola I just got my Huetiful steamer today. My hair soaked up every drop of steam and conditioner, after I was done I was wondering where the conditioner went? I guess my hair was thirsty. lol hahaha I will definitely be doing this 1-2x/wk.
Oh and im natural 4a/3c. And I used EVCO and Suave humectant.

Last edited:

Solitude

I'm in...I own a steamer, but I'm lazy about using it. I want to up my once a month to bi-weekly.

Solitude
Relaxed
Bi-Weekly
I'm using my salons 'r' us steamer. I'll be using either Humecto, Humectress, or Aveda Dry Remedy Mask, or honey for my steam treatments.

Imani

Hey, I'm in. I"ve been steaming weekly or every other week for the past year. So I will continue with that. I am transitioning

I have a stand up steamer from Salons R Us at home. But I rarely do my own hair, I go to a natural salon and they do steam treatments on me there as well. I do plan to braid my hair up for a while, so that is when I will need to not be lazy and get under the steamer at home.

Products-
Design Essentials Organic Cleanse shampoo
Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo
Design Essentials Express Conditioner
Phytojoba diluted shampoo when in braids

Last edited:

mzteaze

Ok, I have updated the main text. Please let me know if I need to add any additional information that would be helpful.

Thanks everyone...as we get closer to the start date, lets talk about the products we plan to use, frequency, etc.

FoxyMoxie

Add me to the list please :grin: This will be the first challenge I will commit myself to. I bought the huetiful steamer last month and I have only used it once. I have been neglecting the hair to an extreme :spank:!!!! It is extremely dry. I don't know what my reggie will be but I will be doing this weekly.

lewanda

count me in....I will be using my stand up steamer from salons r us twice a week. I am relaxed (4b). my profile pic is my starting pic

lolascurls

:yay:

Name: Lolascurls
Natural or relaxed? Transitioning to natural (with alot of texlaxed length)
How frequently will you steam your hair??? Once weekly

I have a table-top steamer and I can't wait!
I do my steam treatments of freshly co-washed hair (I don't use shampoos) and the final rinse is Apple Cider Vinegar. I tend to put in some of my leave-ins before steaming.
After my treatments, I plan to use an aloe vera juice spritz to seal my cuticles. Then I will style.

hola_lo2002

by the way I tried my steamer and OMG this is the bomb!!!! I thought I was moisturising ma hair enough but I guess not..... My hair drank all the conditionner I had put in..... Thank God I didn't purshase a hooded drier few months ago... Let there be steam ladies...

Akemi

Ooooh!! Count me in, please! I need this! :grin:

Name- Akemi
Natural or relaxed?- Natural
How frequently will you steam your hair???- 1x/week. I will be using Redken Real Control Mask and Joico Intense Hydrator.

I don't have a steamer yet so in the meantime I will be using the hot towel/ plastic cap/ hair dryer method.

cutenss

Add Me! Add Me! Add Me! :meme:

I, cutenss, have so been waiting for this. I have the tabletop steamer(from Huetiful). I will steam once a week with homemade conditioner from this thread. I am a natural. Thank you OP for starting this challenge. :yep:

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Count me in, I will be steaming once a week with oils..I was doing this at the beginning of the yr twice aweek, it quickly changed the condition of my scalp, I don't know why I stopped.

ETA::Name Firstborn2
Natural or relaxed? Natural
How frequently will you steam your hair??? 1x week

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
I have had my steamer for over year and never use it but once a months. I need this challenge:

I'm Ltown, and natural
I have the Salonrus stand-up steamer and will steam 1x a week, I'm PJ so I'll be using various conditioners
I'll post photo later.

ajoke

I'm in. In the process of acquiring a steamer. I am really curious......Can anyone advice on the pros/cons of tabletop vs. stand alone steamer? TIA

Ms_CoCo37

You can count me in for this one. I need to utilize my steamer more.:yep:

Ms_CoCo37
Natural (3C/4A)
Steamer (floor)
1x/week

I'm such a challenge junkie.:look:

Last edited: