Relaxed Hair Thread

simplyconfident

it looks nice and thick! How long did you transition to natural ? Are you gonna do a corrective?

Thanx!!

Actually I tried to do a corrective relaxer myself which was a FAIL! I actually suffered from breakage that I've mended with regular protein treatments after my DIY corrective. This is my hair after being blow dried BTW. Since I naturally have thick hair to begin with the textures ends make bunning and protective styles difficult.

I was natural for about 11 months and BC after 9 months a I think.

**trying to post my post flatiron pic but the site keeps crashing.

sunnieb

Do any of you do the mid protein step when relaxing? i usually do it but thinking about skipping it next time i relax

Yes, always. Sistaslick's article convinced me to stick with this step. I'll post the article for the newbies.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

brownb83

Yes, always. Sistaslick's article convinced me to stick with this step. I'll post the article for the newbies.

I never skip it. I feel like that mid protein step makes or breaks the relaxer process for me

sunnieb

Sistaslick's hair articles aren't posted anymore! The links are broken. :(

I printed all of her relaxed hair articles though and I'm sure they're posted on this site somewhere.

It is a good thing I have a DVR full of shows to catch up because I clarified with Mizani chelating Shampoo, did a protein treatment with Nexxus emergencee and DC'd with Silk Elements for about 45 minutes with heat and my new growth is a matted mess. I am only 10 weeks post.

I thought about doing a pro-poo with ORS Replenishing con but it is late and I have work tomorrow so I've accepted my fate of hours of finger detangling. I've done one quarter, so far there is little shed hair so I don't know what is causing the matting.

The good news is that, the detangled NG feels soo soft.

I am going to hold out another 4 weeks before my next TU.

greenandchic

At now 14 weeks post, I found a routine (inspired by YouTubers) that's been working so far:

1. Shampoo and DC or cowash and DC. Last night I used my TiGi Dumb Blonde (I still have some of the original formula) for protein.

2. Wrap my hair in a t-shirt until its about 80% dry.

3. Section hair and smooth each section with Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Serum. I first finger detangle and eventually use my seamless wide tooth comb. The serum melts the tangles away so it doesn't take long at all. My hair is left in two sections, parted down the middle.

4. Add a leave in. I've been using either Elasta QB Olive Oil & Mange Butter to the ends 1/3 of the way up or Shea Moisture Strengthen Grow & Restore Leave-in all over focusing on the ends.

5. Take one section and smooth Eco Styler Gel on the edges and new growth. Smooth hair until new growth and edges is smooth and create a bantu knot. Repeat on the other side.

6. I then air dry overnight. If the knots is still damp, I usually go over it with a cool dryer for a few mintues.

My hair is pretty smooth the next day. I moisturize and seal with the Shea Moisture leave in I mentioned and coconut oil during the week.

ETA: Picture of my hair the next morning, dry. I loosened up the knot on that side...

Attachments

• IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Sistaslick's hair articles aren't posted anymore! The links are broken. :(

I printed all of her relaxed hair articles though and I'm sure they're posted on this site somewhere.

Are they not on her forum sunnieb? Science of Black Hair

divachyk

Thx for sharing greenandchic. I love the smooth and shine but never used it to LOC. I've always sealed after applying moisturizer but you're right, it has great slip. Someone mentioned to me eco (green one) has some protein in it. I need to check the jar. I used it to sleek my edges and they were laid. I posted a pic in the how many weeks thread if you missed it. I'm curious how it would work on my ng. Maybe I will test a section on my next wash day when I'm creating my bun.

greenandchic

divachyk I haven't used the green eco in a while. I've been stuck on the orange (argan oil) one for a while. Ill check the ingredients next time I'm at the store. Your hair looks great in the how many weeks thread!

divachyk

divachyk I haven't used the green eco in a while. I've been stuck on the orange (argan oil) one for a while. Ill check the ingredients next time I'm at the store. Your hair looks great in the how many weeks thread!

greenandchic TY! Green was only thing available to me. I'd love to try orange. I don't know what differs in the colors. Is the amount of hold that they have?

greenandchic

greenandchic TY! Green was only thing available to me. I'd love to try orange. I don't know what differs in the colors. Is the amount of hold that they have?

For me, the hold on the orange one is not as strong as the clear and green one which is my preference. My hair is not as hard. It also smells better. It reminds me of red apple candy; the green gives me a cheap men's aftershave vibe. LOL

demlew

I do but henna is like a hard protein for my hair. I might try it again. where do you get your henna from

brownb83 - I know you didn't ask me, but I wanted to recommend the Rainbow Research henna/indigo brand from Vitacost. I just used it for the first time and I love it! I've been touching my hair for 3 days straight now. I mixed it with fullfat Greek yogurt and coconut cream so that probably helped. Sable was pretty dark, but they also have black.

sunnieb

Are they not on her forum @sunnieb? Science of Black Hair

Thanks for the tip! I looked around over and it's pretty much focused on natural hair now. You know the drill.

A few of the relaxed links open up to blank pages. The others are only the top level general info, not her detailed articles. :ohwell:

divachyk

Last edited:

brownb83

brownb83 - I know you didn't ask me, but I wanted to recommend the Rainbow Research henna/indigo brand from Vitacost. I just used it for the first time and I love it! I've been touching my hair for 3 days straight now. I mixed it with fullfat Greek yogurt and coconut cream so that probably helped. Sable was pretty dark, but they also have black.

Thank You!

greenandchic

Wow, I used Rainbow Henna back in 1993 (ordered it from a catalog) because I wanted to dye my highlighted hair and the color was vibrant and it did strengthen my hair (though I had no idea that was possible). I had no idea the company was still around. It was a beast to rinse out, BAQ henna is much easier, but it did work. :yep:

mschristine

Relaxing in the morning after a 34 week stretch. I wore 2 installs of box braids for 4 months to give my hair a break and it has helped the health of my hair so much. I'm going back to a simple regimen. No more aphogee...too much for my hair. More cassia treatnents and deep conditioning under a hood dryer (once I buy one)...I think that's it