Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

AJellyCake

I really want to become a master at roller setting. I am getting a lot of SSKs now, and it's hard for me to keep my hair moisturized in this freezing winter weather.

Last night I was ready to try my first roller set with fully natural hair. I cleansed, deep conditioned, and detangled. I saturated it with diluted Lottabody. And then when I sectioned my first piece, I gave up! :sad: My hair just looked very wavy still on the roller; I was pretty sure it wasn't going to straighten and would just be poofy after a few hours. Maybe I should have used a Denman to help smooth instead of a fine tooth comb.

So I put in Curlformers and they came out well. The Lottabody seems more drying than the Jane Carter foam wrap I normally use. I will probably turn it into a braidout or something.

Do any of you have suggestions for roller setting dense natural hair with thick strands? I'm trying to avoid heat as much as I can, but I need to stretch my hair.

TIA!!

toaster

Do any of you have suggestions for roller setting dense natural hair with thick strands? I'm trying to avoid heat as much as I can, but I need to stretch my hair.

TIA!!

AJellyCake

My answer would be to adjust your expectations for the first few sets while you figure out what works. As you continue to roll you'll get more familiar with your hair and will be able to figure out how to get your hair as straight as possible with rollers and no direct heat. There's a reason that even the ladies at the Dominican salons blow out the roots after they set. It's not possible for every natural head to get completely straight roots with just a set. It depends on your strands. Also try bantu knots after you set to further stretch the roots.

I'm saying that as a natural with fairly dense hair and thick strands. I currently have a large bun on top of my head with noticeable poof in my roots. It's not going to look like someone's bun that has type 1 hair, and I'm okay with that.

GettingKinky

My plan for this year was to trim off all my bonelaxed ends. I still have about 4 inches left. But I think these ends are what let me get my hair started on my rollers relatively easily. Now I'm afraid to cut them off, but I want them gone so I can try a wash n go. Decisions decisions.

faithVA

[USER=322545 said:
AJellyCake[/USER];19653307]I really want to become a master at roller setting. I am getting a lot of SSKs now, and it's hard for me to keep my hair moisturized in this freezing winter weather.

Last night I was ready to try my first roller set with fully natural hair. I cleansed, deep conditioned, and detangled. I saturated it with diluted Lottabody. And then when I sectioned my first piece, I gave up! :sad: My hair just looked very wavy still on the roller; I was pretty sure it wasn't going to straighten and would just be poofy after a few hours. Maybe I should have used a Denman to help smooth instead of a fine tooth comb.

So I put in Curlformers and they came out well. The Lottabody seems more drying than the Jane Carter foam wrap I normally use. I will probably turn it into a braidout or something.

TIA!!

Make sure you aren't making your sections too big. Make sure you start pulling it taut as soon as you start rolling it. And not sure how to say this but make sure the hair is completely horizontal or vertical (depending on whether you are on the sides or top) so the roller rolls as close as possible to the scalp. (Does anyone know how to say it bettr than I did?) :lol:

You are still going to have some wave but that should help reduce it. My roots are usually straighter than the rest of my hair :ohwell:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My plan for this year was to trim off all my bonelaxed ends. I still have about 4 inches left. But I think these ends are what let me get my hair started on my rollers relatively easily. Now I'm afraid to cut them off, but I want them gone so I can try a wash n go. Decisions decisions.

GettingKinky No doubt my relaxed ends stick well to the rollers allowing me to have a firm grip. My nape is natural and I have the toughest time getting that part started on the roller but I'm glad I'm getting practice. lol

If your ends are healthy, I vote to keep them! I do wash and go curly buns in the summer and my relaxed ends blend just fine with a little scrunching. No need to cut healthy hair for a style unless they are giving you trouble...4 inches is almost a year's worth of progress. Hide the scissors! :)

Last edited:

Blairx0

I really want to become a master at rollersetting

TIA!!

I just did a blog post on some of my trail and errors doing natural roller sets.

Pre part you hair. Try to estimate how many rollers you are going to use per section. This will allow you to make sections that aren't too large which will produce poofy results.

Don't use too much product. a little goes a long way.

Use that comb! I hate combing my hair, but for smooth sets it is needed

GettingKinky

GettingKinky No doubt my relaxed ends stick well to the rollers allowing me to have a firm grip. My nape is natural and I have the toughest time getting that part started on the roller but I'm glad I'm getting practice. lol

If your ends are healthy, I vote to keep them! I do wash and go curly buns in the summer and my relaxed ends blend just fine with a little scrunching. No need to cut healthy hair for a style unless they are giving you trouble...4 inches is almost a year's worth of progress. Hide the scissors! :)

It never occurred to me to try a wash n go with bonelaxed ends. Maybe I'll start experimenting. I wonder if my aloe vera gel will work.

If it ends up working I'll be upset about the 3 inches I cut off last year. I barely get 5 inches a year so 3-4 inches is a lot.

ronie

I started a post a few days ago about my roller set, but it all disappeared,and i got lazy to repost. No long rambling this time. Overall i was pleased with the results. but i am not sure if i like the look at this length. I might try it again. Here are the pictures. Froreal3

Attachments

• DSCN3033.jpg
    DSCN3033.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN3130.jpg
    DSCN3130.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN3137.jpg
    DSCN3137.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN3139.jpg
    DSCN3139.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 61

toaster

Blairx0

Speaking of covers, if you ordered the capelli rollers were you planning on purchasing the hourglass or the halo? The hourglass seem like they will help the hair stay in the middle, but the halo rollers might be able to be used with snaps from other rollers. What do you think?

Blairx0

Blairx0

Speaking of covers, if you ordered the capelli rollers were you planning on purchasing the hourglass or the halo? The hourglass seem like they will help the hair stay in the middle, but the halo rollers might be able to be used with snaps from other rollers. What do you think?

I planned on getting the hour glass rollers. My thinking was that with my hair more secure to the roller that taunt pull would remain more consistent throughout and I wouldn't need to the covers to smooth. I am also interested in the rollers to lessen drying time--I feel like the covers would negate much of that effect.

What are you thinking? You know I am stalking the site and already emailed asking for a discount!

toaster

I planned on getting the hour glass rollers. My thinking was that with my hair more secure to the roller that taunt pull would remain more consistent throughout and I wouldn't need to the covers to smooth. I am also interested in the rollers to lessen drying time--I feel like the covers would negate much of that effect. What are you thinking? You know I am stalking the site and already emailed asking for a discount!

I want 24 of the white, pink, and blue hourglass rollers. And I guess a pack of the pins. I hope I can figure out how to secure the rollers. And yes, if I can get out from under the dryer in an hour that would be great. As soon as they're all in stock I'll probably move on the 1.5 inch size and stay there for most of the year. I don't want to move up too fast because I like the curly look, and it gives me something to look forward to.

Oh! This last set as I took each roller down I separated the curl into 2. Then I did my usual moisturizing and sealing, pulled my hair into a loose ponytail, made a loose twist of the hanging hair and pinned it down. The next night I had a really pretty curly set! I know you've been thinking about how to preserve the hair, so I wanted to tell you about it. I think waiting for the rollers to curl, and separating each curl into 2 during the takedown process really helped.

toaster

Today while I was applying my DC I actually thought "oh yeah, my hair is curly". I forgot about my natural hair texture since I've been setting. Excited for a few wash and go experiments in the spring, but roller setting has become a way of life.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Today while I was applying my DC I actually thought "oh yeah, my hair is curly". I forgot about my natural hair texture since I've been setting. Excited for a few wash and go experiments in the spring, but roller setting has become a way of life.

Girl I know what you mean! It's so funny when I wash my hair after a roller set. When my waves and curls peep out, I'm like WHOA NOW! And then as I'm working on one side, the other side starts to shrink up as it dries and then I remember why I love roller setting. I know I'm biased but I LOVE my sets and seeing my length...especially without using direct heat.

GettingKinky

lulu97- I love your 3 bantu knot technique! My stylist curled my hair with a curling iron last night and they were already falling by the time I got home. I slept with 3 bantu knots and Viola! I have great waves.

When my hair looks like this it makes me want to go back to using direct heat. But then of course my hair wouldn't look like this.

Attachments

• image-3006157029.jpg
    image-3006157029.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3254690796.jpg
    image-3254690796.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
lulu97- I love your 3 bantu knot technique! My stylist curled my hair with a curling iron last night and they were already falling by the time I got home. I slept with 3 bantu knots and Viola! I have great waves. When my hair looks like this it makes me want to go back to using direct heat. But then of course my hair wouldn't look like this.

GAWJUS!!! Your hair is so pretty!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
My hair is airdrying in a flexirod set. I hope it turns out nice. It would suck to have a great V-day meal prepared and jacked up hair.

toaster

I reallllyyy want the blue capelli care rollers. Trying to convince myself to wait for the hourglass rollers to be in stock. I hate waiting.

faithVA

I'm getting ready to start my wash day and do my curlformer set. It's raining today and I have a dinner at 6. I'm not sure how my hair is going to hold up :ohwell: I would hate to be a poofy head at dinner.

bronzephoenix

Gorgeous. How long did it take them to dry? Your hair seems so long for that size

Thanks! I let them air dry overnight with no problems. I wanted rollers with covers since my hair still has a lot of texture. This was the largest size my Sally's had in stock & I'll probably stick with them until I have to go bigger... I really like the voluminous curls they make.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF