Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Under the dryer. I did a half mohawk, half pony tail set. I was feeling too lazy to do the entire head the regular way. Aint nobody got time for that. I will do some type of large flat twist style and bun it when I'm done.

Renewed1

I have to perm, DC and roller set my hair today.

I don't feel like it. Ugh let me start my hair day.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Fresh out the oven...I mean dryer. :)

Hair nicely stretched. I will wear it with two large twists pinned back, with the little curled side swoop for a day or two. Then I will put some twists in for a week. Hair feels really soft.

Next time I will stop being lazy and do a full regular set. The mohawk part came out great, but the roots of the pony tails had some uhh...issues. :look:

EnExitStageLeft Saludable84 ronie

ForumRunner_20140209_115434.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_115457.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_115520.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_115537.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Last edited:

toaster

That's lovely Froreal3! I used to just apply a little oil and butter to my set during the week because the DC beforehand and leave-in would keep my hair moist. Now I'm using the Entwine Butter Cream Hydrator to moisturize because water is further down the ingredient list. It works well.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Fresh out the oven...I mean dryer. :) Hair nicely stretched. I will wear it with two large twists pinned back, with the little curled side swoop for a day or two. Then I will put some twists in for a week. Hair feels really soft. Next time I will stop being lazy and do a full regular set. The mohawk part came out great, but the roots of the pony tails had some uhh...issues. :look: EnExitStageLeft Saludable84 ronie Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

You did a beautiful job stretching your hair! I have that same metal flower hair clip too!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Fresh out the oven...I mean dryer. :) Hair nicely stretched. I will wear it with two large twists pinned back, with the little curled side swoop for a day or two. Then I will put some twists in for a week. Hair feels really soft. Next time I will stop being lazy and do a full regular set. The mohawk part came out great, but the roots of the pony tails had some uhh...issues. :look: EnExitStageLeft Saludable84 ronie Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Froreal3 what products did you use after shampoo, to set and after dried??

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
That's lovely Froreal3! I used to just apply a little oil and butter to my set during the week because the DC beforehand and leave-in would keep my hair moist. Now I'm using the Entwine Butter Cream Hydrator to moisturize because water is further down the ingredient list. It works well.

Thanks toaster! I may try that.

You did a beautiful job stretching your hair! I have that same metal flower hair clip too!

Thanks KiWiStyle! Got it from Wallyworld (Wal-mart) for about four bucks.

Froreal3 what products did you use after shampoo, to set and after dried??

After I washed and dced, I used a little bit of Annabelle's Perfect Blends Blueberry Cheesecake hair cream, and sealed with some Hairveda Cocasta Shikakai oil. Hair feels really moisturized. I like the limited tangles I get with my hair stretched. It is just like a reverting flat iron job. I like it. I will probably twist my hair with some Qhemet Amla & Olive or My Honey Child Buttery Soy.

EnExitStageLeft

Froreal3

:thud: GAWD YASSSSSS!

I've never seen 4B hair stretch that nicely with a standard magnetic set and still have noticeable curl.

I need a routine run down, products and all :yep:.

Blairx0

Froreal3

Great job! Why did you ever stop setting?

To answer your previous question I have been bunning for a while now because Chicago is freezing! I tuck my ends and I moisturize them every other night or so and seal them in the morning and then re tuck. I twist my ends prior to pinning them inside my bun, so I used a water based leave in. Darcy's daily leave in and I seal with a butter blend. I have done this on my length too and had little reversion because of the bun placement

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Froreal3

:thud: GAWD YASSSSSS!

I've never seen 4B hair stretch that nicely with a standard magnetic set and still have noticeable curl.

I need a routine run down, products and all :yep:.

EnExitStageLeft Thanks sis! Yeah, I used the purple magnetics with the covers. Some of them were hanging a little loose for my tastes though. I was actually bummed about this set, but I wasn't tryna wear it out anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Them damn pony tails had my roots all puffed up. :nono: The other two sets I did looked much better. I think I'm gonna try stretching w/rollersets more often.

ETA: Girl, I didn't do anything different. Like I said, this set was kinda whack for me. lol I quickly bunned that mess up. I used some APB Blueberry hair cream, sealed with some HV Cocasta, let that air dry in twists over night since it was about 10:00pm. Then I spritzed with water and added some Elasta QP Design Foam (though I probably didn't need this). That's it. Oh yeah, I did get a good cowash and DC in before I did all that. :yep:

Froreal3

Great job! Why did you ever stop setting?

To answer your previous question I have been bunning for a while now because Chicago is freezing! I tuck my ends and I moisturize them every other night or so and seal them in the morning and then re tuck. I twist my ends prior to pinning them inside my bun, so I used a water based leave in. Darcy's daily leave in and I seal with a butter blend. I have done this on my length too and had little reversion because of the bun placement

Because I'm lazy and twists are easy to put in. I've even been even lazier by only doing humongous twists instead of my standard medium to small. :sekret: :look:

Blairx0, thanks for the bunning tips. I want to start doing this. I moisturize and seal every other day as well. Are you still setting weekly? If so, are you noticing any breakage of lack of retention from it? Although I usually mess with my hair weekly (washing, detangling, twisting), I'm scared rollersetting that often will be extra manipulation. What say you?

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Thanks FroReal what leave-in did you use?

KiWiStyle Sorry I wasn't clear. I just used the APB Blueberry Cheesecake hair cream as a leave in/moisturizer and sealed with the Cocasta. Actually I layered the APB Blueberry leave in (thin SSI Cococreme consistency) under the Blueberry hair cream on one side of my head, but I got tired of all that layering. So for the rest of my head I just used the cream.

I let it dry in my hair over night in twists (I was sleepy). Then this morning I used a little of the Elasta QP Design Foam and spritzed some water before putting the rollers in. I honestly probably didn't need the foam. I just used it because that is what I'm used to.

After the set was dry, I used a smidgen of Qhemet Amla & Olive on my ends only to put in the two large twists that are pinned in the back of my head.

Last edited:

Blairx0

I have been seetibg weekly since July of 2012 and have only had success, Froreal3 no breakage. I have issues with shedding but I am heavy shredder by nature. Don't be scarred!!!

Blairx0

This week's set has issues.I was too heavy handed with my gvp its a 10 , too sloppy when rolling and too anxious to get away from the dryer.

I was under for an hour an half, but had so much product I wasn't dry. In fairness i thought my fridge was broken and I felt rushed to get finished so I could move my perishables. Alas the fridge is fixed and I will set again for valentine's day.

Enough chatter here is my curly pony.

ForumRunner_20140209_200825.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_200836.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_200846.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_200858.jpg

ForumRunner_20140209_200858.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140209_200918.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140209_200918.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 38

toaster

This week's set has issues.I was too heavy handed with my gvp its a 10 , too sloppy when rolling and too anxious to get away from the dryer.

How was the GVP leave in? Why do you feel like you were too heavy handed? I do think a little goes a very long way, at least with the original version. I'm happy about that because it costs so much, but I'm used to using a LOT of product so it's a weird feeling.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
toaster lulu97 Have either of you lovely ladies tried the + keratin version of it's a 10, if so please review Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

MileHighDiva It's really no different than the one without keratin...well for me. Awesome detangling properties, very moisturizing, helps with frizz...same amazing things I love as the original. It's just more expensive...and obviously has keratin. If I'm at the store and they are sold out of the original, I'll pick the other one up without a second thought.

toaster

MileHighDiva

I'm still on my first bottle of the leave-in so I've only tried the regular formula. My hair can be kind of protein sensitive, so I don't think I'll try the version with keratin.

I do :love: the regular version, however. I'm trying to plan my wash and go's for the weekends in the spring/summer and I was wondering if I could layer the It's a 10 with a curly conditioner and then add gel. That's probably wasting the product, but I always want it on my hair.

Blairx0

toaster

The leave in was thicker than I expected. I was thinking it was going to be water-y but it was more like a thin lotion/ I sprayed it into my hand and spread it into my hair that way. I think I just sprayed too many pumps in my hand. Next time I will do maybe 4-5 pumps per section and roll that way.

How much do you use?

toaster

Blairx0 It is like a thin lotion! I spray it into my hands and apply as well. I set my hair in 8 sections (3 curlers per section) and I use 3 pumps of product per section.

Basically I unravel 1 twist, spritz the leave-in into my hands 3 times, apply to section. Detangle. Separate 1/3 of the section, spritz with plain water, detangle, roll. Repeat the bolded 2 times. Move on to the next twist.

I think it helps having my hair pre-parted for the shampooing/ DCing/ cowashing/ rinsing process. Makes the actual setting a lot easier.

toaster

At the end of the night when I'm moisturizing and sealing my hair I always think my hair looks like Corrine Bailey Rae's hair. Then I look at pictures of her hair and come back to reality.

ronie

Froereal3
Thanks for the tag girlie. I just saw this as I been using my iPad, and I can't see mention. Your hair came out lovely. I do have the same metal clip, and it is super cute. I love the side up do. I'm cowashing my hair today, and I am inspired, lol. I use to roller set my hair, and everyone s else hair at my house since I was 16. But we were all relaxed then, so I don't know how my skills will do on my 4b mess. I usually use 2 bobby pins to keep the rollers in place. Would you think that the covers are better to keep the hair smooth?
I'm on a stay home vacation, so this is the perfect time for me to experiment.
Great job missy, I will tag you if it looks decent.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Froereal3
Thanks for the tag girlie. I just saw this as I been using my iPad, and I can't see mention. Your hair came out lovely. I do have the same metal clip, and it is super cute. I love the side up do. I'm cowashing my hair today, and I am inspired, lol. I use to roller set my hair, and everyone s else hair at my house since I was 16. But we were all relaxed then, so I don't know how my skills will do on my 4b mess. I usually use 2 bobby pins to keep the rollers in place. Would you think that the covers are better to keep the hair smooth?
I'm on a stay home vacation, so this is the perfect time for me to experiment.
Great job missy, I will tag you if it looks decent.

Ooo ronie I can't wait to see. If you've set before, I'm sure it will be fine. I do think the covers helped smooth it a bit. But the white Capelli Care Hour Glass rollers (I used them for my fist set, not this one) were easier to get the hair on. I think I will use a combo of both when I set next week.

Blairx0 your pony tail is so very thick and luscious. I'm getting high density envy. :lick:

faithVA

I did a curlformer set on Friday as a test run for next weekend. It came out nice. It had good hold and it was light, fluffy and soft. I could see my ends needed some help though. I separated the curls and it looked OK. My SO said it looked like I just took the rollers out and left it. He doesn't get I'm a natural head and can't comb through my hair. But he's a guy so I asked my girl tashboog and she said it looked fine. So I'm going with that.

I put a bonnet on it and slept on it. It looked OK but it felt like it needed moisture. I couldn't think of anything to put on it to keep it from reverting. It was hard to lift, so I put it into a puff.

Last night I put marshmallow balm on each section and put it on perm rods. When it was dry, I separated each curl. It was really full and looked nice and felt nice. Slept on it overnight and my right side didn't hold up so well so that must be the side I sleep on. The rest of it survived. Again, it was a little too stiff to readjust. So I put one of those comb bands around the front. I brought a band to put it into a puff just in case. I'm not sure with this weather how it will hold up.

I like rollersetting. I'm just not sure how it will work for me at my current length which is about EL/NL. If my back was long enough to put in a banana clip bun I would be set. I could wear the front curly and put the back up.

I plan to try to wear my hear curly a few days this week and then transition to my LF Erin wig.

I will do a rod set next weekend for an event and post pictures then.

toaster

faithVA

I just typed out a super long response and it got lost. I wanted to say that I think rollersetting would work for any length as long as you have the appropriate sized rollers. If your hair isn't long enough to clip up, you can rollerset and wear your hair curly for a few days and then transition to wigs. It's pretty low manipulation once the set is done, and because your hair will be curly you can try to ignore your ends for a bit. I imagine that if you went a few months with setting and wigs and little to no dusting you might be surprised with how your ends looks.

If you use a moisturizing DC and leave-in before your set you may be surprised by how moisturized your hair really is. I started out just using a little oil and butter to seal my ends every night, but I ended up purchasing the Entwine Couture Butter Cream Hydrator because it has water further down the ingredient list. It works wonderfully, but it has dimethicone in it. Froreal3 suggested a Qhemet product that also has water down the ingredient list, but I'm assuming it doesn't have cones.

Can't wait to see your pictures next week!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
1st pic
Day 2 of my side braid. The length was pretty frizzy from me not tying it down before bed but I still liked it.

2nd pic
Day 3 of my side braid. Sorry the pic is blurry...was trying to show the back. I pinned the braid down after I wrapped it around.

I love this style! Roller setting before hand helped it to lay flat and have the smoothness I prefer. This will def be one of my go to styles.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=388763 said:
toaster[/USER];19643925]faithVA

I just typed out a super long response and it got lost. I wanted to say that I think rollersetting would work for any length as long as you have the appropriate sized rollers. If your hair isn't long enough to clip up, you can rollerset and wear your hair curly for a few days and then transition to wigs. It's pretty low manipulation once the set is done, and because your hair will be curly you can try to ignore your ends for a bit. I imagine that if you went a few months with setting and wigs and little to no dusting you might be surprised with how your ends looks.

If you use a moisturizing DC and leave-in before your set you may be surprised by how moisturized your hair really is. I started out just using a little oil and butter to seal my ends every night, but I ended up purchasing the Entwine Couture Butter Cream Hydrator because it has water further down the ingredient list. It works wonderfully, but it has dimethicone in it. Froreal3 suggested a Qhemet product that also has water down the ingredient list, but I'm assuming it doesn't have cones.

Can't wait to see your pictures next week!

I guess what I was trying to get across is that I can really only wear my hair curly for a day. The 2nd day it ends up in a puff because I haven't found a way to get it back into any style. My hair is very stiff by nature, so it doesn't just fall back into place. So I have 1 day of curls and then would have to go into a puff. But I really don't like to wear a puff more than 1 day because it really causes issue with the back of my hair. My rollersets come out great though.

My hair doesn't stay moisturized for more than a day when it is out no matter what I do or use. I have tried pin curling and bantu knots to try to preserve the style. I think I need more practice with these because I haven't gotten these to work for me yet. I just need more practice. I was going to try the flexi rods to see if I can keep my curly state longer.

At this point it seems that I will need to reset my hair (pincurls, bantu knots, flexi rods) every other day so I can moisturize it.

I will keep looking for products. I don't do dimethicone and the Qhemet has glycerin which will cause my hair to poof more than it does.

I am going to keep trying different things. I am learning a lot from this thread though. And I like roller sets. I just need to practice and come up with a good maintenance method until my hair grows out.