Low Porosity Support Thread

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
[USER=55007]nlamr2013[/USER];20782955 said:
Hey ladies been gone for a min not that my hair has been optimal lol
Anywho I just bought some tresemme naturals as well as soft sheen Carson activator cream. It didn't even occur to me until I got home that the glycerine in the activation may not be best for winter.

What do you ladies use in colder months I need to get my hair on track.
I thought the mud washes were doing me well but last two weeks it has left my hair oily yet still dry sigh

Oyin Hair Dew and my homemade oil/water spritz. I'm already running through oyin like water. I also love purabody, but I'm going to see if i can last on just oyin to narrow what i buy.

Evolving78

Hey ladies been gone for a min not that my hair has been optimal lol Anywho I just bought some tresemme naturals as well as soft sheen Carson activator cream. It didn't even occur to me until I got home that the glycerine in the activation may not be best for winter. What do you ladies use in colder months I need to get my hair on track. I thought the mud washes were doing me well but last two weeks it has left my hair oily yet still dry sigh
you are natural right? Qhemet's biologics helped me out! As I am products and the elasta qp mango leave in (not the moisturizer). Right now as a relaxed head, I use Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus shine and hold spray, silicon mix Bambu leave-in, and jojoba oil or qhemet's heavy cream to seal. I don't do the LOC method either. I do COL.

nlamr2013

Oyin Hair Dew and my homemade oil/water spritz. I'm already running through oyin like water. I also love purabody, but I'm going to see if i can last on just oyin to narrow what i buy.

OK this is like the third time someone has recommended ohd to me so might have to stop being cheap and buy it. Where do you usually find yours?

nlamr2013

you are natural right? Qhemet's biologics helped me out! As I am products and the elasta qp mango leave in (not the moisturizer). Right now as a relaxed head, I use Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus shine and hold spray, silicon mix Bambu leave-in, and jojoba oil or qhemet's heavy cream to seal. I don't do the LOC method either. I do COL.
Yes natural. Isn't qhemet heavy? I don't think heavy products work for me as she a butter makes my hair icky
Wow you put liquids last?

uofmpanther

[USER=55007]nlamr2013[/USER];20783455 said:
OK this is like the third time someone has recommended ohd to me so might have to stop being cheap and buy it. Where do you usually find yours?

I buy mine during 20% off sales on curlmart.com, but you can get it at Target. I'm going to see what Oyin does for Black Friday and I may buy direct.

faithVA

[USER said:
nlamr2013;20782955[/USER]]Hey ladies been gone for a min not that my hair has been optimal lol
Anywho I just bought some tresemme naturals as well as soft sheen Carson activator cream. It didn't even occur to me until I got home that the glycerine in the activation may not be best for winter.

What do you ladies use in colder months I need to get my hair on track.
I thought the mud washes were doing me well but last two weeks it has left my hair oily yet still dry sigh

Right now I'm doing LOCO. I'm using diluted kknt as my L step, followed by castor oil. I'm switch up the C product. It just depends. I'm alternating between As I Am Curling Cream, or SM Manuka Honey Conditioner. Then I seal with Natural Oasis Shine Balm.

Rastafarai

Hi ladies. I've been a natural for close to 9 years and have now come to the realization that I may have low porosity hair. I'm not even sure what this means. I tried the float test and my hair doesn't sink. I also recently tried Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue. As soon as I placed that stuff on my hair it was magical. My curls just bounced and is moisturized throughout the day without looking weighed down. The first three ingredients in that product are Water, Mineral Oil and Glycerin.

I then remembered products that my hair loved, like BASK Beauty's YAM conditioner, which has glycerin and honey. I also can't do without oil-based moisturizers like Qhemet's Aethiopika Butter. I don't think my hair likes butters without oil. My hair also will look dull even though its moisturized. Shampooing with Aubrey Organics GPB followed by ACV rinses helps rid of the dull look.

I still deal with dry hair and I'm hoping I can learn a thing or two from this thread.

uofmpanther

[USER=55007]nlamr2013[/USER];20783473 said:
Yes natural. Isn't qhemet heavy? I don't think heavy products work for me as she a butter makes my hair icky
Wow you put liquids last?

My hair liked the burdock root cream. It was light

Rastafarai

I'm alternating between As I Am Curling Cream, or SM Manuka Honey Conditioner. Then I seal with Natural Oasis Shine Balm.

Any reviews on the Manuka Honey Conditioner? I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to Berkura/Bask Beauty's YAM Conditioner.

Also, the shine balm looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

faithVA

Any reviews on the Manuka Honey Conditioner? I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to Berkura/Bask Beauty's YAM Conditioner.

Also, the shine balm looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

It may work for you if you are relaxed. It seemed to make my hair feel soft but I could tell it coated my hair. So it would create build up fast. I tried it as a leave in but that was a fail.

Rastafarai

It may work for you if you are relaxed. It seemed to make my hair feel soft but I could tell it coated my hair. So it would create build up fast. I tried it as a leave in but that was a fail.

Good to know. What about the shine balm? Is it a good sealant without the greasiness?

faithVA

[USER=62843 said:
Rastafarai[/USER];20815777]Good to know. What about the shine balm? Is it a good sealant without the greasiness?

I don't know. I've never used the shine balm. I've been using Natural Oasis balms which I really like. And I picked up Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade from Target. I mix that with a little water and it seems to work well.

Maybe someone else has tried it.

Rastafarai

I don't know. I've never used the shine balm. I've been using Natural Oasis balms which I really like. And I picked up Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade from Target. I mix that with a little water and it seems to work well.

Maybe someone else has tried it.

Sorry, I meant the Natural Oasis balm. My hair loves honey and I want something that's honey-based preferably to condition, moisturize and seal. I just fear it may have a greasy residue.

faithVA

[USER=62843 said:
Rastafarai[/USER];20815793]Sorry, I meant the Natural Oasis balm. My hair loves honey and I want something that's honey-based preferably to condition, moisturize and seal. I just fear it may have a greasy residue.

That's my fault. I'm reading LHCF on the run and not paying attention :nono:

I love all the natural oasis products. I really like the shine balms. My hair usually doesn't like honey but when I use any of her products they just melt into my hair. I have her conditioning balm and the shine and gloss balm and I like both of them. I am hoping she has a black friday sale so I can get her complete balm set. I don't know that she will have a sale though :sad:

These are the two I have http://www.naturaloasisproducts.com...ncareproducts/4oz-honey-creme-honey-gloss-duo

And this is the set I want http://www.naturaloasisproducts.com...s/8oz-essential-balms-complete-4-products-set

Her herbal grease is fabulous as well. :yep:

Rastafarai

Happy New Year's ladies! Here is to a new year of HHG for us! :D Three new things I plan on doing is DC'ing more regularly, utilizing more moisture-based products and finger combing. No more combs.

I'm also trying two new product lines: Naturelle Grow and Natty Naturals.

Has anyone tried Tutti Honey Rhassoul Hair Mask - Co Wash Deep Conditioner Treatment?? I hear its similar to Bekura Beauty YAM Conditioner but for considerably less.

ajargon02

Thanks for this! I've been thinking about starting a low porosity support thread, but I've never started a support thread before.

Share your hair background:
Last relaxer 3 years ago. When I did relax, it never took. Not sure what else to say here.

What symptoms is your hair exhibiting?
Dry, dry, dry. Product sits on it & does not absorb.

What have you tried that worked?
Heat helps, but I still don't have a good handle on it.
I try to baggy, but I'm prone to sinus headaches if I do it too long.
More liquidy products work better than thick.
I like Giovanni 50:50 & GVP Balm.

What have you tried that did not work?
Protein is not for me. Builds up easily.
Silicones. Keep moisture from getting in.
Roux porosity control. This is for high porosity.
Butters. Too heavy.

What questions do you have?
I just have reservations about using baking soda. How do you know it's not really damaging especially in the long term?
Is a steamer worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Kimmaytube did a vid on the baking soda washing. It's damaging to the cuticle over time b/c the particles that make up baking soda are jagged and they chomp away at the exterior layer of the hair strand

Smiley79

So the issue with baking soda is long term use of it?

I'm asking because it has done wonders for my hair over these past few weeks but I do not plan to use it as often once my hair starts to receive moisture better.

Rastafarai

So washing my hair in braids seems to work best. I braided my hair in about 6 plaits overnight, and washed with Miss Jessie's Slip Sudsy Shampoo and Aubrey Organics GPB Shampoo. After washing, I DC'd with YAM conditioner and Aveda intensive deep conditioner. I finished off by unbraiding the hair from tip to root and fingercombing to detangle. No sheds at all and my hair was so shiny. So so happy. I think I've found a way to help retain length. Wish I started braiding my hair during wash sessions years ago. Sigh.

I styled my hair in braids using Bekura's Apple & Sourghum syrup as a leave-in and Hydroquench coconut lime oil.

H0tPinkButtafly

I did the strand test and it seems like I have low porosity hair. I usually use silicone mix but from the little research I have done, silicone products are not good for low porosity hair? Plus should I be moisturizing with something like curl activator? I'm trying to read some of this thread :-/

Evolving78

I did the strand test and it seems like I have low porosity hair. I usually use silicone mix but from the little research I have done, silicone products are not good for low porosity hair? Plus should I be moisturizing with something like curl activator? I'm trying to read some of this thread :-/
silicone products will give you the slip that you need. Low porosity hair requires hydration. Moisture from inside the strands. That's why it takes so low for our hair to get wet and for our hair to dry. Water is the key! Things that draw moisture in are good. Moistures help to condition and provide slip, but over time or over use, they build up quickly. Using low sulfates shampoos, or clarifying at least once a month helps too. Our hair requires deep conditioning for up to 30 mins max with heat. Anything longer than that is overkill. Cowashing usually doesn't work for a low poo person, but it does for some. But we need to keep our hair free of buildup. Our cuticles are closed already. Oils are good for nourishing low poo hair, but not necessarily for sealing. So yeah, you can use cones, easy up on the heavy moisture, and water/hydrate your hair often. Baggyjng over night, is overkill too.

L.Brown1114

Im having trouble moistirizing my hair while in its natural state. If i blowdry first and then moisturize and do a bantu know out or whatever, when i take the style out my hair is moistirized. If i dont blowdry first my hair is a oily dry hot mess. I DC every week consistantly and wash with a moisturizing low sulfate shampoo as well as clarify and protein treatments as need be. I use a water.based leave in and seal with grape seed oil or EVOO. Sometimes i use unrefined shea butter mixed with grapeseed oil which im finding to be too heavy. Besides omitting the shea buttrr how can i moisturize and seal without having to blowdry my hair?? And jerry curl juoce doesnt work because i live in a dry cold climate

L.Brown1114

My hair seems to really like being clarified. Do you think using a daily clarifying shampoo weekly in place of a normal shampoo a good idea or a bad idea??

H0tPinkButtafly

silicone products will give you the slip that you need. Low porosity hair requires hydration. Moisture from inside the strands. That's why it takes so low for our hair to get wet and for our hair to dry. Water is the key! Things that draw moisture in are good. Moistures help to condition and provide slip, but over time or over use, they build up quickly. Using low sulfates shampoos, or clarifying at least once a month helps too. Our hair requires deep conditioning for up to 30 mins max with heat. Anything longer than that is overkill. Cowashing usually doesn't work for a low poo person, but it does for some. But we need to keep our hair free of buildup. Our cuticles are closed already. Oils are good for nourishing low poo hair, but not necessarily for sealing. So yeah, you can use cones, easy up on the heavy moisture, and water/hydrate your hair often. Baggyjng over night, is overkill too.

I read somewhere that baggying or ghe is good because it traps in steam and heat for moisture to absorb in