Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 18 Thread(s)
Default Re: Heat damage?? How do i fix without cutting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoily View Post
I don't believe there is a product that will bring the texture back, BUT I would be braid/twist outing that section to match the rest of the texture and keep it moving.

If relaxed hair (with broken down bonds, etc.) can sustain heat applications on a regular basis then natural hair should be able to survive a once in a while pass through with a flat iron/blow dryer/pressing comb.

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!
ITA with all of the above. This is the route I would take if this happened to me. I would only trim it along with the other hair as it all grows out. Braiding and twisting that area with help it blend with the rest of your hair.

HTH

March 2012 Dominican roller set & blow out
Old 12-25-2007, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)

Quote:
I don't believe there is a product that will bring the texture back, BUT I would be braid/twist outing that section to match the rest of the texture and keep it moving.

If relaxed hair (with broken down bonds, etc.) can sustain heat applications on a regular basis then natural hair should be able to survive a once in a while pass through with a flat iron/blow dryer/pressing comb.

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!
If relaxed hair endured heat that was too hot it would be damaged and need to be chopped off, too. Just because it has a straight appearance doesn't mean that it can actually sustain and thrive. Hold that hair up to the light and you'll see the damage. Same with natural hair.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanked 31,708 Times in 3,462 Posts
Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 34 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If relaxed hair endured heat that was too hot it would be damaged and need to be chopped off, too. Just because it has a straight appearance doesn't mean that it can actually sustain and thrive. Hold that hair up to the light and you'll see the damage. Same with natural hair.

If you burn the hair to the point that it's changed color, split and broken/breaking, then yeah cut it off. But failure to revert does not necessarily fall into any of the above categories.

If 'heat damage' = straight hair, then the relaxed heads and naturals on this board who wear their hair straight exclusively would all be bald.

I've read the manifesto. There is never just one answer to a problem.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
If you burn the hair to the point that it's changed color, split and broken/breaking, then yeah cut it off. But failure to revert does not necessarily fall into any of the above categories.

If 'heat damage' = straight hair, then the relaxed heads and naturals on this board who wear their hair straight exclusively would all be bald.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, however, it can possibly fall into that catergory. All the OP has to do is look at her non-reverting hair in the light and see if it's discolored.

And I never said that "heat damage = straight hair", so the point I made was missed. I said that "Just because it [relaxed hair] has a straight appearance doesn't mean that it can actually sustain and thrive." Meaning that heat damage can hide on straight and curly hair. Clearly the heat was high enough to damage something if OP's hair won't curl back up. Just like relaxed hair that is heat damaged has little to no elasticity. Therefore, again I ask, that if after a month of treatments, and there is still no change to the hair, can it be safe to 'charge it to the game' as it were, and let that hair go [even if by slowly trimming]? We don't even need to call it 'damaged' hair, if that bothers you...

Last edited by Artemis; 12-25-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarity from a previous post
Old 12-25-2007, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I had used too hot a curling iron on my natural hair and it fried the ends. i dc, cow, i did protein, i baggied, all the stuff i found on here for dry hair and ends. no matter how i moisturized, when my hair dried it was always dry and rough and hard at the ends, while the rest of my hair was soft and silky. i tried for more than a month trying to fix it, but i got tired of the snap crackle and pop when i touch it or it would split up the shaft. so i cut mine off. not all at once but a little at a time.. dusting.

Do what you think is right... you may actually be able to repair some part of it so you dont have to trim as much... but you may have to trim the ends for sure, since the ends are the oldest part of the hair and sometimes won't revive... lol.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellie7777 View Post
I had used too hot a curling iron on my natural hair and it fried the ends. i dc, cow, i did protein, i baggied, all the stuff i found on here for dry hair and ends. no matter how i moisturized, when my hair dried it was always dry and rough and hard at the ends, while the rest of my hair was soft and silky. i tried for more than a month trying to fix it, but i got tired of the snap crackle and pop when i touch it or it would split up the shaft. so i cut mine off. not all at once but a little at a time.. dusting.

Do what you think is right... you may actually be able to repair some part of it so you dont have to trim as much... but you may have to trim the ends for sure, since the ends are the oldest part of the hair and sometimes won't revive... lol.
I completely agree w/the bolded
Old 12-25-2007, 02:02 PM

Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

Quote:

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!
Not a natural, but I agree with this. If it's just one section (especially in the nape where you can hide it), just blend for now & grow it out gradually. You don't HAVE to chop if you don't want to, especially if it's not breaking or split.

Cutting would just give you a section that's much shorter than the rest - I don't see how that could look better than what you have now.

Full WSL - 5/09
Old 12-25-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanked 3,372 Times in 654 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 65 Thread(s)

Well, at least you're honest about not wanting to cut/trim your hair right now. I was going through the same thing a few weeks ago. My hair was breaking off terribly at the ends. I did protein treatments and cholesterol treatments (more protein), but my hair still didn't seem to hold a curl. I know I will have to cut the damaged portions off eventually, but I wanted my hair to grow longer first before I did that. I finally was able to find out how to my hair together. It holds a curl and it's very soft and manageable. Ok. Here's what I did (which may or may not work for you).

Here's a part of what I posted in another thread. I did the first part 2 Fridays ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyefrmy View Post

1) I made a conditioner of black strap molasses, olive oil, honey, coconut oil and ACV. Please don't ask me how much because I have NO idea. I just put mainly molasses in and then added the rest. I got this off of the BHM site. I put it on my hair under a plastic cap for about 45 minutes.

2) I washed rinsed well and then washed my hair with Porosity control shampoo and conditioner.

3) Then I did an ACV rinse (ACV and water). It was 1/4 cup of ACV in 1 quart of cool water.

4) I rinsed my hair REALLY well and then sealed the cuticles shut with a cool water rinse. I then had to dry my hair with the blow dryer. I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS, but I had issues going on. But I will tell you this much, I had minimal breakage just from then. The ACV is a temporary fix, but it worked. My hair also appeared to be MUCH thicker.

5) I've been baggying my ends since then. I've been using whatever conditioner is in the house and then sealed with vaseline (Thanks DSP!!!). I baggied my ends Friday, Sat and Sunday (all day on Sat and Sun).

6) Last night I washed again with the porosity control shampoo and conditioner.

7) Then I put Giovanni Direct Leave In Condioner in my hair and set it with water.

8) I roller set my hair later. HOWEVER, I am not the greatest at rollersetting yet, so it didn't come out too great. So then I had to curl my hair (you won't have to do this if your rollersetting skills are straight )

Girl, let me tell you. I combed my hair out and I had hardly NO breakage. Between the treatment on Friday, baggying and the Giovanni Direct my hair is SOOOOOO soft with NO breakage. Nomrally when I curl my hair (because there's no moisture) I can't hold a curl. My curls have held ALL DAY LONG today. I had TOO much protein in my hair as well, so I know what you're going through.

Now, in the other post I said I would have used an ORS package after doing the final ACV rinse, but I change that. About a week ago I finally used Pantene's R&N mask after I washed my hair again with the porosity control shampoo. I left it on for about 10 minutes in the shower.

After I rinsed it out I roller set my hair with Giovanni and sealed with an serum. After the rollerset completely dried I did the saran wrap thingy under the dryer and then sprayed KeraCare Silken Seal on it.

No breakage since! My hair needed something other than other protein treatment.

Now, once again, you will need to cut the damaged hair (just like I will), but this may work for you.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-2007, 04:36 PM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

After reading these posts, you ladies have motivated me to do a trim that I have been holding off for so long.

....I know it is necessary. *sigh*
Old 12-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, however, it can possibly fall into that catergory. All the OP has to do is look at her non-reverting hair in the light and see if it's discolored.

And I never said that "heat damage = straight hair", so the point I made was missed. I said that "Just because it [relaxed hair] has a straight appearance doesn't mean that it can actually sustain and thrive." Meaning that heat damage can hide on straight and curly hair. Clearly the heat was high enough to damage something if OP's hair won't curl back up. Just like relaxed hair that is heat damaged has little to no elasticity. Therefore, again I ask, that if after a month of treatments, and there is still no change to the hair, can it be safe to 'charge it to the game' as it were, and let that hair go [even if by slowly trimming]? We don't even need to call it 'damaged' hair, if that bothers you...

Well, the OP is going to cut it so the point is moot. BUT @ the bolded, if there is no change to the hair after a month, i.e., the only difference is that it's straight then I'd still say, 'why cut it'?

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Well, the OP is going to cut it so the point is moot. BUT @ the bolded, if there is no change to the hair after a month, i.e., the only difference is that it's straight then I'd still say, 'why cut it'?

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.
Your absolutely right. Automatic cutting is not always the way to go. But those conditioners and creams for damaged hair is for hair thats damaged on the surface (cuticle)-. What she described sounds like cortex damage - that doesnt improve with conditioning and better care- as a matter of fact it detracts from the lushness. Every person relaxed or not can see when someones ends are so bad that it detracts. I opt for Healthy Hair. It just looks better without fried ends. For me I just got a sharp scissor and cut off- It was going to happen anyway and having those dried ends (for me) was a walking advertisement for unhealthy hair. Those of us who are proponents of cutting are just encouraging her to embrace what -from her description of her hair -is an inevitability. Even if you cut a little at a time as to not lose a drastic length. It'll eventually have to be removed.
The person who can truly create a product that can bring a dried out splitting porous hair end back to vitality is going to be a billionaire. We spend alot of money averting the root cause.
Oh and all hair is damaged- there is though a point of no return.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappity4b View Post
Your absolutely right. Automatic cutting is not always the way to go. But those conditioners and creams for damaged hair is for hair thats damaged on the surface (cuticle)-. What she described sounds like cortex damage - that doesnt improve with conditioning and better care- as a matter of fact it detracts from the lushness. Every person relaxed or not can see when someones ends are so bad that it detracts. I opt for Healthy Hair. It just looks better without fried ends. For me I just got a sharp scissor and cut off- It was going to happen anyway and having those dried ends (for me) was a walking advertisement for unhealthy hair. Those of us who are proponents of cutting are just encouraging her to embrace what -from her description of her hair -is an inevitability. Even if you cut a little at a time as to not lose a drastic length. It'll eventually have to be removed.
The person who can truly create a product that can bring a dried out splitting porous hair end back to vitality is going to be a billionaire. We spend alot of money averting the root cause.
Oh and all hair is damaged- there is though a point of no return.
Thank you SO much for this post. I am never an advocate for quick cutting, but you took the words out of my mouth. Esp w/the bolded, I absolutely concur.

Last edited by Artemis; 12-25-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappity4b View Post
[ Those of us who are proponents of cutting are just encouraging her to embrace what -from her description of her hair -is an inevitability.
And I can agree to disagree with the 'inevitable' portion of the discussion.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:46 PM

Thanked 21,190 Times in 2,920 Posts
Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

[quote=JCoily;3380321]Well, the OP is going to cut it so the point is moot. BUT @ the bolded, if there is no change to the hair after a month, i.e., the only difference is that it's straight then I'd still say, 'why cut it'?

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.[/quote]
thats me right there I think once you get to a lenght you are comfortable with, trimming your ends due to a mishap wont be as much as a decisive choice.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsBackerz67 View Post
Quote:

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.[/quote]
thats me right there I think once you get to a lenght you are comfortable with, trimming your ends due to a mishap wont be as much as a decisive choice.
Wait...didn't you just get a trim?

Agreeing to disagree with the basic concept of "health over length v. not" I guess is the real "moot point" of this thread
Old 12-26-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Wait...didn't you just get a trim?

Agreeing to disagree with the basic concept of "health over length v. not" I guess is the real "moot point" of this thread
I'm going to leave this thread because it is turning into pissing contest. But I will say that there is not one post in this thread where I mention sacrificing health for length. My position from my first post forward was questioning the parameters used to assess heat damage.

To the OP, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Peace out.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:33 AM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

This happened to me in August. I was lazy and went to a stylist instead of doing my own hair and she used too much heat and tension flat ironing. A couple of the straight spots broke very near the root and a couple in the nape area have gotten better but not completely reverted. I've been using Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor as a pre-poo and Affirm 5-in-1 to deep condition. I think I will try the hard core Aphogee soon and see what that does.

Like I said, it's not completely reverted but much better. I don't feel the need to cut it because it isn't split, discolored or breaking and is actually the silkiest strands on my head. I'm also almost APL and cutting my nape would take me back to SL/collar bone I've been using a lot less heat lately, so I think that is helping. I press my hair and wear it straight for a week then I do braid outs for a week or two & my hair looks great this way.

I agree with JCoily. Hold off on cutting if it's not breaking or interfering significantly with your hair styles of choice....Just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 AM

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,340 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

Quote:

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!
I never thought about it like this. I saw my sister yesterday, who went natural without the help of this board. She straightens a lot and does not use heat protectant. She said that some of her ends in the front are straight. I told her that she would have to cut it, but she seriously does not want to. I guess I can tell her that there's another option now.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:

ITA! Heat damage to most naturals just means that it won't revert...this doesn't mean that the hair is severly damaged and needs to be cut. My entire head is "heat damaged" and will not revert to it's original curl. It looks like I texlax. No I can't wear my natural styles anymore and yes it is not as healthy as it used to be, but it is still here, strong and growing. I know what I did wrong....and I learned my lesson, hair can only withstand 384 degrees of heat, I was using my solia at 450 once a week and no deep conditioning

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

If it's just your nape, invest in some perm rods and dust it until the straight ends are gone, don't cut it unless it is breaking.

My Blog: www.89twenty.blogspot.com
My Fotki: www.fotki.com/aja1121

Old 12-26-2007, 04:22 AM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Hmmm, so is the standard for knowing that hair is heat damaged is discoloration??? If that is the case, then a deep trim may not be in order for me. I checked last night and my hair is still the same 1B color as the rest of my hair. I am thinking that I need to step up my moisture game a bit more. Maybe that will help with the crazy breakage that I am experiencing. This is interesting....

Is there a thread that talks about different types of damage and how to treat them???