1 year LHCF anniversary!

sareca

Thanks for a great year. Ya'll have encouraged, supported and occassionally set me straight. :wink2: I wouldn't have healthier hair (much less APL) if not for ya'll. Just wanted to say thanks.:rosebud:

ekomba

sareca said:
Thanks for a great year. Ya'll have encouraged, supported and occassionally set me straight. :wink2: I wouldn't have healthier hair (much less APL) if not for ya'll. Just wanted to say thanks.:rosebud:

Happy one year girl but wow i see the difference in that august pix i mm loving the blue black that s beaaaaaaautiful Sareca!:eek: do you think it got that black as a result of the henna plus indigo or the henna first than indigo i sooooooooo want that color can you get it with just indigo or you have to do the henna too? i d love to try it, i peeped over the henna thread but the process seems messy and fastidious i got lost at the yogurt part, seems like i have to put a lot of things to prepare it. i just want to be jet jet black :) any help appreciated. Anyway girl your hair grew it loooks great!:p

sareca

ekomba said:
Happy one year girl but wow i see the difference in that august pix i mm loving the blue black that s beaaaaaaautiful Sareca!:eek: do you think it got that black as a result of the henna plus indigo or the henna first than indigo i sooooooooo want that color can you get it with just indigo or you have to do the henna too? i d love to try it, i peeped over the henna thread but the process seems messy and fastidious i got lost at the yogurt part, seems like i have to put a lot of things to prepare it. i just want to be jet jet black :) any help appreciated. Anyway girl your hair grew it loooks great!:p
Thanks ekomba! You know I love your hair! I've been trying to get this blue-black color f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I love indigo. You know what's funny about it? When I dyed my hair with synthetic dye (in the March pic) it looked 'dyed.' For some reason indigo'd hair doesn't looked dyed. It looks like youthful, naturally blue-black hair.

I hear ya on the henna thread. We talk a lot about supplementing henna to get better results, but I keep my henna mixes simple. It is a bit messy, but and the end results it is worth a little cleanup. :yep:

:lachen: You don't need yogurt, but you do have to henna first. Indigo by itself doesn't color right. You need to henna first (it can be the same day) then indigo.
  • You need BAQ (Body Art Quality) henna (I suggest Jamila from mehndiskinart.com or hennaforhair.com)
  • Indigo (from hennaforhair.com)
  • Hot water (almost boiling)
  • ACV (just a couple of tablespoons)
  • Plastic wrap
  • Dark color towels
  • 2 plastic containers with lids
  • Your favorite moisturizing conditioner
  • Gloves (henna is used for skin art too so it will dye your hands)
That's it.
  1. Mix the ACV with about 2 cups of water.
  2. You mix together the ACV-water and henna in your plastic container. Mix until it is the consistency of pancake batter (or yogurt).
  3. Let the color release. It takes 12 hours at room temperature. After approx. 12-17 hours put your henna in the frig.
  4. The day you're ready to use it, put the gloves on and apply the henna to your hair. This is the messy part. If your mix is too thin add some more powdered (or unreleased) henna. Once you've got it on, wrap your head in plastic wrap. Leave it for an hour or so.
  5. Meanwhile, in the other container add the indigo and very hot (almost boiling) water. This mix will be thinner because indigo does that.
  6. After the hour is up rinse the henna from your hair. Don't worry about getting it all.
  7. Add a little powdered henna to thicken up your indigo (make it yogurt consistency)
  8. Apply the indigo (this will be even more messy because indigo mixes up thinner) and wrap your head in more plastic wrap.
  9. Leave the indigo for about an hour and rinse. It'll take a while to rinse out. Shampoo and condition. Your finally color will develop in 24 hours. You will need to use a moisturzing conditioner after you rinse henna. Don't worry if it seems rough, just follow w/ a 20-minute deep conditioning. My hair was never rough, but some people say theirs was.
Repeat the indigo part of the process again in a week, no need to henna again. The henna shine comes after a few applications so be patient. You can add stuff like amla, spices, essential oils to enhance the color or conditioning properties of henna, but you don't need them.

But this is last, but the most important thing... Strand test. Mix up the henna and indigo as described above and use hair from your brush or comb. It will give you some practice and confidence with process. I do this every week that my hair isn't braided. I hardly make any mess nor does it take a long time. Just takes practice and patience like everything we do to our hair.

Last edited:

ekomba

sareca said:
Thanks ekomba! You know I love your hair! I've been trying to get this blue-black color f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I love indigo. You know what's funny about it? When I dyed my hair with synthetic dye (in the March pic) it looked 'dyed.' For some reason indigo'd hair doesn't looked dyed. It looks like youthful, naturally blue-black hair.

I hear ya on the henna thread. We talk a lot about supplementing henna to get better results, but I keep my henna mixes simple. It is a bit messy, but and the end results it is worth a little cleanup. :yep:

:lachen: You don't need yogurt, but you do have to henna first. Indigo by itself doesn't color right. You need to henna first (it can be the same day) then indigo.
  • You need BAQ (Body Art Quality) henna (I suggest Jamila from mehndiskinart.com)
  • Indigo (Mehndi is out of indigo, but hennaforhair.com has some)
  • Hot water
  • ACV (or anything mildly acidity)
  • Plastic wrap
  • Dark color towels
That's it.
  1. You mix together the ACV and henna in your plastic container. Mix until it is the consistency of pancake batter (or yogurt).
  2. Let the color release. It takes 12 hours at room temperature. After approx. 12-17 hours put your henna in the frig.
  3. The day you're ready to use it, apply the henna to your hair. This is the messy part. If your mix is too thin add some more henna. Once you've got it on, wrap your head in plastic wrap. Leave it for an hour or so.
  4. Meanwhile, in the other container add the indigo and very hot (almost boiling) water. This mix will be thinner because indigo does that.
  5. After the hour is up rinse the henna from your hair. Don't worry about getting it all.
  6. Apply the indigo (this will be even more messy because indigo mixes up thinner) and wrap your head in more plastic wrap.
  7. Leave the indigo for about an hour and rinse. It'll take a while to rinse out. Shampoo and condition. Your finally color will develop in 24 hours. You will need to use a moisturzing conditioner after you rinse henna. Don't worry if it seems rough, just follow w/ a 20-minute deep conditioning. My hair was never rough, but some people say theirs was.
Repeat the indigo part of the process again in a week, no need to henna again. The henna shine comes after a few applications so be patient. You can add stuff like amla, spices, essential oils to enhance the color or conditioning properties of henna, but you don't need them.

But this is last, but the most important thing... Strand test. Mix up the henna and indigo as described above and use hair from your brush or comb. It will give you some practice and confidence with process. I do this every week that my hair isn't braided. I had make any mess nor does it take a long time. Just takes practice and patience like everything we do to our hair.

wowwwwww thank you so much Sareca for the step by step u such a sweetie hihi i really need it i never used henna before lol i m print all your directions and i would love to see what it does compared to synthetic dyes lol i would kill for black hair as vibrant as yours it s ridiculous i hate the boxed colors dyes because it always looks like a dye and make me look harsh but the color you have is amazing. i love my blue black bigen but i find it s just jet black but i want blacker hihihi:grin: ok i m bookmarking the thread and i m get all the ingredients you talked about. i ve been admiring your color and your hair for a while but each time i forgot to ask you lol and got frightened and seduced at the same time by the henna thread lol wow u do that once a week i m telling you that august pix is the truth!!!!!!!! i m loving it!!!!!1;)

Denim And Leather

Congratulations! :bouncy: Your hair looks gorgeous and I just love the color! Funny how fast a year has gone, huh? I can't until my one year anniversay here, too! :D

sareca

ekomba said:
wowwwwww thank you so much Sareca for the step by step u such a sweetie hihi i really need it i never used henna before lol i m print all your directions and i would love to see what it does compared to synthetic dyes lol i would kill for black hair as vibrant as yours it s ridiculous i hate the boxed colors dyes because it always looks like a dye and make me look harsh but the color you have is amazing. i love my blue black bigen but i find it s just jet black but i want blacker hihihi:grin: ok i m bookmarking the thread and i m get all the ingredients you talked about. i ve been admiring your color and your hair for a while but each time i forgot to ask you lol and got frightened and seduced at the same time by the henna thread lol wow u do that once a week i m telling you that august pix is the truth!!!!!!!! i m loving it!!!!!1;)

I love me some black hair! And get this... if it's not black enough you can indigo again and again and again. I'll get blacker and blacker and blacker. Can't do that w/ synthetics. :nono:

sareca

Denim And Leather said:
Congratulations! :bouncy: Your hair looks gorgeous and I just love the color! Funny how fast a year has gone, huh? I can't until my one year anniversay here, too! :D

The year flew by! I remember thinking a year was an excessively long time. Your anniversary will be here before you know it! :yep:

Last edited:

gradygirl

:weird: Congrats on your anniversary and for reaching APL. You always give such good advice on this forum. Keep up the good work.

Tee

sareca said:

• You need BAQ (Body Art Quality) henna (I suggest Jamila from mehndiskinart.com)
  • Indigo (Mehndi is out of indigo, but hennaforhair.com has some)
  • Hot water
  • ACV (or anything mildly acidity)
  • Plastic wrap
  • Dark color towels
That's it.
  1. You mix together the ACV and henna in your plastic container. Mix until it is the consistency of pancake batter (or yogurt).
  2. Let the color release. It takes 12 hours at room temperature. After approx. 12-17 hours put your henna in the frig.
  3. The day you're ready to use it, apply the henna to your hair. This is the messy part. If your mix is too thin add some more henna. Once you've got it on, wrap your head in plastic wrap. Leave it for an hour or so.
  4. Meanwhile, in the other container add the indigo and very hot (almost boiling) water. This mix will be thinner because indigo does that.
  5. After the hour is up rinse the henna from your hair. Don't worry about getting it all.
  6. Apply the indigo (this will be even more messy because indigo mixes up thinner) and wrap your head in more plastic wrap.
  7. Leave the indigo for about an hour and rinse. It'll take a while to rinse out. Shampoo and condition. Your finally color will develop in 24 hours. You will need to use a moisturzing conditioner after you rinse henna. Don't worry if it seems rough, just follow w/ a 20-minute deep conditioning. My hair was never rough, but some people say theirs was.

But this is last, but the most important thing... Strand test. Mix up the henna and indigo as described above and use hair from your brush or comb. It will give you some practice and confidence with process. I do this every week that my hair isn't braided. I hardly make any mess nor does it take a long time. Just takes practice and patience like everything we do to our hair.

Thanks for the breakdown!!!!

sareca

Letitia said:
Big Congrats on your 1 year Anniversary.

Cichelle said:
Congrats! Your hair looks WONDERFUL!!!!:) :) :)
soun said:
Congratulation for your progress and your first year in LHCF henna master!
KiniKakes said:
You've made GREAT progress over this past year. Congratulations Sareca!!!!
gradygirl said:
:weird: Congrats on your anniversary and for reaching APL. You always give such good advice on this forum. Keep up the good work.

Thanks ya'll are so sweet!

lmjenk67

Happy Anniversary! You've inspired me to try henna in the next couple of months. Your hair is gorgeous!

LovelyLionessa

Congratulations Sareca! You are a wealth of information and support for your fellow LHCF sistas. Thank you so much for your integral role in the Henna Revolution. May you enjoy many more years of "people thinking your hair is wet" henna shine!! :lol: :D