Question about a few oils: Amla, Coconut, & Castor...

MizaniMami

Hey ladies I have a few odd questions about each of the oils mentioned above.

Coconut Oil: I used this for the first time a last week and I found that it made my scalp itch like crazy, anyone else?

Amla Oil: I have Dabur Amla oil. (pic below) Is that the one that everyone else is using? Also is the amla oil that fromnaturewithlove.com selling pure 100% amla oil or this brand (pic)

Castor Oil: I bought some castor oil from a natural oil site. It is 100% cold pressed, non refined castor oil. But it is so STICKY! I can barely get it through dry hair. I tried it on wet hair and it was a disaster. I was like trying to add honey (unwarmed) to clean hair. What kind of castor oil do you ladies have? And is it sticky or refined?

Sorry for such crazy questions, but I just have to ask!

alexstin

Castor oil is sticky, I like to mix with another oil which cuts down on the stickiness. When I put it on my ends, though,I'll just squeeze a little onto the counter top and dab my finger in it to put on ends for rollersetting.

Coconut oil-love it! Never had a problem with it!

Amla oil-I bought the kind you posted, ended up taking it back 'cause it was expired. Never bought more. :)

LaNecia

I too found the Castor Oil to be too heavy to use on wet hair.

Never had any problem with the Coconut oil! :up:

And that's the Amla I use as well. I think FNWL has a different oil, I've never purchased from them so I can't verify. One thing I have noticed with Indian products is that you do have to check the expiration date.

Arcadian

I've tried castor and its really too sticky for me. I made a mistake and used ALOT of coconut oil once. I had to wash my hair twice to get it all out. Less is better and I make sure it dosen't touch my scalp either.

I've not used amla. I did order some from FNWL though but I've not gotten it yet (that was this weekends buy) I'll have to let you know how it is. I may just prepoo with this once a week (I don't see how I could do this every day:eek: )

-A

NeeSee

Arcadian said:
I've tried castor and its really too sticky for me. I made a mistake and used ALOT of coconut oil once. I had to wash my hair twice to get it all out. Less is better and I make sure it dosen't touch my scalp either.

I've not used amla. I did order some from FNWL though but I've not gotten it yet (that was this weekends buy) I'll have to let you know how it is. I may just prepoo with this once a week (I don't see how I could do this every day:eek: )

-A

Please keep us up to date on that Alma oil. I thinking of ordering from them too.

Mestiza

I
Amla, Coconut and Castor oils! The Amla Oil that I've used has been the Dabur brand in the picture. I mix Castor Oil w/ thinner oils and add it to my conditioners, sometimes, too. Coconut Oil has never made my scalp itch.

taraglam2

I used Home Health Castor Oil for a few months mixed with conditioners mainly Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask and Biolage Conditioning Balm and it made them both perform even greater in terms of conditioning and moisturizing my hair. The Home Health Castor Oil I used was thick and it mixed really well with the conditioners. I also added Home Health Castor Oil to my CIBU Conditioner but I have not used it yet. I am sure the results will be the same--a nice extra conditioning boost.

carameldiva

I use castor oil on my natural hair and i absolutely love it. I use it on dry hair as a pre-poo and also on my ends. I also love coconut oil. I get mine from www.thechemistrystore.com

crlsweetie912

I am using coconut oil and I love it. I use it just about everyday and I don't get any itch. I use the same amla oil as above for a prepoo mixed with the jamaican black castor oil. I put it on my dry hair and put the plastic cap on and then my scarf over top and went to sleep. This tamed my new growth after a 14 week stretch. I really like it. I will do it once a month.

Nanyanika

Castor oil: hate it
Coconut love it: assists in hair growth/ shine of my hair
Amla oil: Love it for pre-poo treatment

MizaniMami

den1 said:
Castor oil: hate it
Coconut love it: assists in hair growth/ shine of my hair
Amla oil: Love it for pre-poo treatment

Why do you hate Castor oil? Is it too thick for you too?

Nanyanika

MizaniMami said:
Why do you hate Castor oil? Is it too thick for you too?
I remember using it on my natural/texturized hair, its too thick, sticky and it dried out my hair making it coarse. If i was ever brave enough to try this stuff again, i would certainly dilute it with good quality carriers oils like jojoba, sweet almond oil.

SilkyandSmooth

MizaniMami said:
Coconut Oil: I used this for the first time a last week and I found that it made my scalp itch like crazy, anyone else?

Coconut oil is the only oil I use on my hair and I've never had that problem.

Arcadian

I'm taking notes about the castor oil because I never thought about trying to cut it with another oil. I'll give it another go, maybe mix with jojoba? (I have seasme but i'd smell like a big ol nut:p )

-A

ThinNnappy

coconut oil itches my scalp to

castor oil-its so sticky when i rub it on my hair i think it tangles and snaps some strands-but if you mix it with coconut oil it makes a good moisturizer and it makes your hair thicker-also if you put it on your scalp it makes your hair grow really really fast-i put it on my edges which have been thin my whole life and in like 2 and a half weeks they grew in, really curly and thick though

Alma oil-could you tell me what its for? i want to try it too

ThinNnappy

off topic-but where did you get your biotin with 5000mcg's?
-p.s.-i have the same haircut as you,and i was tryna find out what you use tht gives you all that shine u have in your picture

Shawnee66

I love Castor oil as a hot oil treatment but I mix it with coconut oil. I mix coconut oil with everything.

I just bought the same Amla oil today. Where do you find the expiration date????

MizaniMami

ThinNnappy said:
off topic-but where did you get your biotin with 5000mcg's?
-p.s.-i have the same haircut as you,and i was tryna find out what you use tht gives you all that shine u have in your picture

Hey There! I found my biotin at www.drugstore.com!

On That pic, I just washed and conditioned with Aveda Damage Remedy a fewdays before, then I applied a smudge of mango butter and carrot oil.

MizaniMami

ThinNnappy said:
coconut oil itches my scalp to

castor oil-its so sticky when i rub it on my hair i think it tangles and snaps some strands-but if you mix it with coconut oil it makes a good moisturizer and it makes your hair thicker-also if you put it on your scalp it makes your hair grow really really fast-i put it on my edges which have been thin my whole life and in like 2 and a half weeks they grew in, really curly and thick though

Alma oil-could you tell me what its for? i want to try it too

Whew I was starting to think my scalp was a weirdo. Amla oil can be used in a variety of ways. I use mines to pre-poo

Tamsin2005

I recently purchased the Amla oil from From Nature with Love. They list it as unscented but it has a kinda smoky/spicy smell to me. It's mixed only with Sesame Oil. I love it and use is in one of my scalp oil concoctions. I haven't tried it yet as a pre-poo.

Miss*Tress

Dabur Amla Hair Oil is great as a pre-wash treatment and castor oil gives good results with the baggy method and also as a post-wash moisture sealant. A little castor oil goes a long way and despite its stickiness, it isn't difficult to comb through and it doesn't weigh the hair down.

Coconut oil doesn't do much for my hair, but then it doesn't hurt either.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I use coconut oil, a tiny bit mixed into my leave-in for shine or mixed into my deep conditioners.

For castor oil, I use it straight after I've washing, I dab my finger in it and only use it on the last inch or so of my hair....this is after I've put my leave-in on.

leleepop

I mix jojoba and coconut oil together equally to seal moisture but not on my scalp. Anything on my scalp makes me itch!:perplexed

sweetascocoa

Miss*Tress said:
Dabur Amla Hair Oil is great as a pre-wash treatment and castor oil gives good results with the baggy method and also as a post-wash moisture sealant. A little castor oil goes a long way and despite its stickiness, it isn't difficult to comb through and it doesn't weigh the hair down.

Coconut oil doesn't do much for my hair, but then it doesn't hurt either.
i love castor oil and i just used it to detangle my hair last night. it distributes through my wet hair easily but on dry hair, i mix it with jojoba. i dont like coconut oil. it seems to dry out my hair. maybe because i use the walmart louana brand. i do have dabur anmol coconut oil? is that one better? never used it

i got my 5000mcg biotin from puritan's pride

bklyncurly

I luv :) Coconut Oil! I mix it with a lot of my deep cons. I really liked Amla oil, but I had to stop using it because of the smell. :barf:

Arcadian

I did try castor oil mixed with jojoba oil this morning, and at least it wasn't sticky anymore, but I don't know if I really like it or not (hair feels hard??)

I've also had some serious growth this month so it could also factor in, but it seems harder than it was yesterday. At least it dosen't feel oily/greasy though I used quite a bit.

Dunno, I'm just testing it out currently. I've not gotten the amla yet, but should be delivered today sometime.

-A