• 3 months +

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I didn't work for me

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I'm at the end of my first bottle and I haven't noticed a difference in my hair or nails. I am getting a lot more bumps than usual though.

SvelteVelvet

I took a few bottles of Biotin when I first started my HHJ in 2007. I believe it did help with growth. I went from SL to APL in six months, but I would get a random bump so now I just get it from my HSN multi that has 3000mg's worth. I think that's enough to see benefits.

Vashti

I went back to taking biotin and B-complex this month. The last time I took biotin I noticed length and strength in my nails in about a week. I always have issues with nails chipping and breaking so this was nice. It was about a month before I saw any difference in my hair. I had thicker hair as a result, especially around the front hairline. Even now I'm noticing my nails are a lot longer and stronger. I take 3000mcg a day.

OP, I use the exact same brand that you do! So far, I can tell that my nails are growing like crazy.I can't really see a major difference in my hair yet. This isn't my first go with Biotin either, but this time has been the best thus far. No acne bumps at all, but I think that's mainly b/c I'm drinking mass quantities of water and I take a B vitamin.

ETA: I'm using it to help regrow my edges as well!!!

Last edited:

jry2lnghair

When I started my hair care journey on LHC, Biotin was one of the product I jumped on. I can't say I saw any hair growth, but what I did get was terrible break out that was very painful all over my face.

I'm happy that it's working for you.

femmemuscle

Please share your results after one year of biotin, ty

i had a set-back in my journey. Let's just say a MAJOR setback. 3/4 of my whole head was lost. This was due to chemicals, the "stretching" band wagon, and stress. Someone on the BHM was adamnant about Nioxin. I used it before when i was natural, and didn't see any results. Did my research, and decided to try it again. Huge mistake for me.

If you go to Folica.com, Nioxin reviews and see an AA head up there with hardly any hair on it. That's mine. It tells the whole story.

Those pics were only the BEGINNING of the damage. up to 6 weeks later, my hair fell out. After shaving it off in 2008, and starting over, it took at least 9-12 months before i had fuzz on my head.

I tried quite a few topical growth aides. Did quite a bit of Claudie's Elixir. Not very much success. the fuzz was growing back, but only in spots. the rest of my scalp apparently had shiny burn scabs.

i started using biotin in 2008, and began increasing the dosage with Bcomplex. There was improvement with my skin and nails. The hair was coming in slowly, yet sparse. the moment i added chlorella and MSM in January of this year - that did it!

The first thing that improved was my scalp. My beautician noticed it in February this year. She said: "Those scab marks are pretty much healed up." In March, she made comments about my hair and scalp being "healthier".

Today, i have 6 inches of natural 4b hair. The whole right side plus the crown, and the left side are filling in with thick, healthy hair. 2 years ago - these areas were completely bald.

I really did not believe i would ever grow my hair back. Topical growth aides are nice, and so is biotin. But once i added MSM and chlorella into the mix, my hair journey seems a lot more positive.

Oh! and a high protein diet, lots of water, and exercise really helps.

femmemuscle

What's MSM and how does bcomplex balance out biotin regarding acne?

MSM is: Methylsulfonylmethane. a sulfur that can be taken orally which improves hair skin and nails. if it were left up to me, i'd give it a different acronym:

TSW: This S*&%+t Works..

I thought i was allergic to sulfur and couldn't take this. But i noticed that i am not allergic to "organic" sulfur. There is a difference between the organic type and the "pharmaceutical" grade which i am violently allergic to. (To the point of being hospitalized via anaphalytic reaction). I have no idea how it works, but since i've been taking this with chlorella, there has been quite a bit of improvement.

As for the B complex balance: Biotin is part of the B complex family. If you increase your biotin, the part of the complex will offset the side effects. particularly the acne. When i had this problem with "cystic" acne, Claudie told me to increase the bcomplex dosage. Since then, no problems.

TLC1020

Was taking Nature's Bounty 5000mcg for almost 2 months, no ill effects, my hair in braids so I can not see any significant growth. Don't know why I decided to switch to Spring Valley 5000mcg, now I am noticing bumps coming on my face :nono:... Stopped the Spring Valley and tomorrow I am going back to the Nature Bounty...

KurlyNinja

MSM is: Methylsulfonylmethane. a sulfur that can be taken orally which improves hair skin and nails. if it were left up to me, i'd give it a different acronym:

TSW: This S*&%+t Works..

I thought i was allergic to sulfur and couldn't take this. But i noticed that i am not allergic to "organic" sulfur. There is a difference between the organic type and the "pharmaceutical" grade which i am violently allergic to. (To the point of being hospitalized via anaphalytic reaction). I have no idea how it works, but since i've been taking this with chlorella, there has been quite a bit of improvement.

As for the B complex balance: Biotin is part of the B complex family. If you increase your biotin, the part of the complex will offset the side effects. particularly the acne. When i had this problem with "cystic" acne, Claudie told me to increase the bcomplex dosage. Since then, no problems.

I wanted to try MSM as well, but was scared after somebody said it made them gain weight and also people saying they were having EXTREMELY vivid dreams. Did you see these side effects?

fivetimestwo

Congrats!! If it works for you it works for you!

For me I get these *hard* painful bumps on my face, I've yet to see a real difference in my hair yet, but we'll see. :)

This is exactly what happened to me, so I stopped taking them (can't afford any extra skin problems in the name of longer hair). Recently I've started breaking open the capsules and applying them to my scalp mixed w/ conditioner as a prepoo. Not sure if it's working or not since I just started doing it, but I figured I'd at least be able to use the capsules up and get my money's worth.

femmemuscle

I wanted to try MSM as well, but was scared after somebody said it made them gain weight and also people saying they were having EXTREMELY vivid dreams. Did you see these side effects?

absolutely... the dreams, i don't have a problem with. i have a history, like many of the ladies on this forum of being a "lucid dreamer"...thus, i am not unique, nor do the dreams bother me. It's better to wake out of a crazy dream, than to be in a total "nightmare" and realize you're at work and you can't break out of that until the end of the shift...:perplexed

I did notice water weight gain in the first few months. But with my exercise and diet regimen, i could pin-point it. i stuck with my regimen/routine, and noticed over time, the water weight decreased. My SO has noticed something significant which i, at first did not like. My boobs increased in size and density. i have posted this on the forum a couple of times.

Oh yes.. Diarrhea. if you're taking too much MSM or even the chlorella. You will have the "runs". All that is necessary, is decrease the dosage, and work your way up.

if anything else comes to mind, i'll update on the forum, but that's all i can think of right now..

CurlyMoo

Daily I take:
-5 mg Biotion
-1000mg MSM
-B- Complex (this is supposed to help combat the acne that Biotin can cause. Never been an issue for me)
-Chlorella (forget the mg at the moment)

My nails are RAPIDLY growing and stronger than ever. They have always been paper thin. My new growth is noticably thicker than it was before the supplements. So, I am a beliver that this stuff works, at least it does for me.

You and I are taking the same vitamins and same dosage. :yep: My MSM is powder. I'm off Chlorella due to the costs. But my nails are long, strong with white tips. They look so healthy. And did a recent stretch test and my hair has grown. I've been very consistent and if I forget I take the vitamins as soon as I can.

I just recently got a few pimples but I think that has more to do with some junk food I ate recently. But I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. That helps with the acne.

Last edited:

supermodelsonya

I have pics in my profile here. Biotin worked for me after a few days. I had this tingling in my scalp that I took Benedryl to get rid of. Three weeks later, I had to take down my sew in because of my hair growth.

ThePerfectScore

BIOTIN jacked up my skin, me thinks. I used to take GNC Hair Skin and Nails... and I would get these horrible under the skin break outs on my forehead and back. It was not a pretty picture. So Meh... I'd rather have clear skin and no hair than jacked up skin and LONG hair. And trust I drink water like a fish, so I just think my skin hates biotin. But I may try just taking biotin to isolate the problem and see if it was the biotin itself, or something overall in the GNC HSN. But I probably won't. LOL

B3e

BIOTIN jacked up my skin, me thinks. I used to take GNC Hair Skin and Nails... and I would get these horrible under the skin break outs on my forehead and back. It was not a pretty picture. So Meh... I'd rather have clear skin and no hair than jacked up skin and LONG hair. And trust I drink water like a fish, so I just think my skin hates biotin. But I may try just taking biotin to isolate the problem and see if it was the biotin itself, or something overall in the GNC HSN. But I probably won't. LOL

I just posted this in the secrets thread but hun, my face was so jacked up last summer I literally wanted to disappear. All cause I wanted long hair faster...it was barely month 1 of my lurking and far from the actual day I signed up to be a real member...talk about impatient.

Water, vitamin c, niacin, a complete multi, fish oil...nothing worked and I was still breaking out even after I had stopped so I said Hell 2 tha No ma'am on biotin....until 2 days ago.

Super B-Complex + Biotin = no pimple face :) so we can have our long nails/hair and lovely skin as well. We shouldn't have to sacrifice one or the other! :grin: I recommend you at least give the complex a try before calling it quits, I'm glad I did. By now I'd probs be seeing the pimples spreading from my face to everywhere else...but I'm smooth, supple skinned, and not a breakout in sight :lick:

ajoke

I am taking biotin again, this time with a LOT of water. Plus I think the fact that I started taking it at the beginning of my cycle also contributed to the fact that I have had no major flare ups. I am more prone to acne near the end of my monthly cycle.
Also, I am applying ACV with a cotton pad to my face whenever I feel something coming up. So far, so good, and week 2 is almost up.

Biotin was great for the first two/three weeks. Then my skin started breaking out in painful and hard cystic acne. I pride myself on taking good care of my skin (I limit my use of powder, use SS, toner with glycolic acid, and a face cream with antioxidant). I tried facials, sulfur masks, benzoyl peroxide acne cream and the Queen Helene mask to combat the acne. Nothing worked!

I was drinking 1.5 liters a day in order to help combat the acne as well. I also worked out and ate a semi-balanced diet (vitamin wise I was taking a multi and flaxseed). I also started the B-complex about two weeks after I started the biotin. My lashes and nails were thriving but my skin is also extremely important. Like someone else said, no point in having long hair but horrible skin.

For the past month I have allowed all the Biotin to leave my system and my skin is finally looking better. This week I started my new vitamin regimen of a multi, flaxseed, b-complex, Triple 3 Omega. In the future I might try Biotin again but only every other day.

Congrats on your biotin success!

Last edited:

Ms Kain

Biotin was great for the first two/three weeks. Then my skin started breaking out in painful and hard cystic acne. I pride myself on taking good care of my skin (I limit my use of powder, use SS, toner with glycolic acid, and a face cream with antioxidant). I tried facials, sulfur masks, benzoyl peroxide acne cream and the Queen Helene mask to combat the acne. Nothing worked!

I was drinking 1.5 liters a day in order to help combat the acne as well. I also worked out and ate a semi-balanced diet (vitamin wise I was taking a multi and flaxseed). I also started the B-complex about two weeks after I started the biotin. My lashes and nails were thriving but my skin is also extremely important. Like someone else said, no point in having long hair but horrible skin.

For the past month I have allowed all the Biotin to leave my system and my skin is finally looking better. This week I started my new vitamin regimen of a multi, flaxseed, b-complex, Triple 3 Omega. In the future I might try Biotin again but only every other day.

Congrats on your biotin success!

Hmmm.... now I thought Biotin was already a B vitamin so wouldn't taking a B Complex vitamin on top of Biotin be like taking a double dose? :ohwell:

I'm just wondering because back in the days I took Biotin with my multivitamin (which had B in it along with a small amount of Biotin in it) and when I did I got serious acne flare ups that hurt. Now I only take it with MSM and Triple 3 Omega and if I drink even 16 fl oz of water for the day, I don't get flare ups but I do get a significant amount of growth.

So does anyone know if Biotin is the same as taking a B Complex vitamin?
Gymfreak...where you at? :grin:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
are there any topical treatments with biotin that can be used on edges? cuz poppin a pill and getting nasty acne scares me. ♥

KurlyNinja

I've been using Biotin for a little over 2 weeks now... I still have not seen this whole acne thing people are talking about... :ohwell: If anything my skin has smoothed out... but that could be because I'm also taking a B-complex vitamin. To answer the whole B-complex vitamin question. No B-complex does not have Biotin in it. B-complex has the essential B Vitamins. Meaning the ones we need in order to live. We do not need Biotin to live so its not in this formula. Not posting more pictures at this time... I will after I finish this bottle in another month and a half or so.

ETA: Things I have seen though is faster nail growth. My nails are also extremely hard. My leg hair and arm hair are growing something serious! I've never seen this before. But its still not so bad that I'll stop using biotin.

SingBrina

Hmmm, I think I have been taking it since the end of may 5mg... and I don't think I have seen any results yet... That is good that it is working that fast for you, usually pills take awhile to get into the system and the body to start using them. That Vit-B must be helping it alot? Hmm, I am happy for you, good to always find something that works gret :)

SingBrina

Hmmm.... now I thought Biotin was already a B vitamin so wouldn't taking a B Complex vitamin on top of Biotin be like taking a double dose? :ohwell:

I'm just wondering because back in the days I took Biotin with my multivitamin (which had B in it along with a small amount of Biotin in it) and when I did I got serious acne flare ups that hurt. Now I only take it with MSM and Triple 3 Omega and if I drink even 16 fl oz of water for the day, I don't get flare ups but I do get a significant amount of growth.

So does anyone know if Biotin is the same as taking a B Complex vitamin?
Gymfreak...where you at? :grin:

Interesting you bring this up, because I started taking prenatal pills... better stop that, and to add, I think Biotin is making me have mini break outs, not super noticeable at all!! But the break out look as if you used something that irritated your face and small mini break outs form, like a rash look, that is only noticeable when I have makeup on and look at my reflection in a car window. Idk, I have had horrible acne probs, but the birth control calms it.

ShiShiPooPoo

I've been using Biotin for a little over 2 weeks now... I still have not seen this whole acne thing people are talking about... :ohwell: If anything my skin has smoothed out... but that could be because I'm also taking a B-complex vitamin. To answer the whole B-complex vitamin question. No B-complex does not have Biotin in it. B-complex has the essential B Vitamins. Meaning the ones we need in order to live. We do not need Biotin to live so its not in this formula. Not posting more pictures at this time... I will after I finish this bottle in another month and a half or so.

ETA: Things I have seen though is faster nail growth. My nails are also extremely hard. My leg hair and arm hair are growing something serious! I've never seen this before. But its still not so bad that I'll stop using biotin.

M, you stopped the Biotin? Now you're doing B-Complex (I have some of those already). I didn't go back and read the whole thread. Thanks girl