OFFICIAL Half-Wig Thread (Gallery & Info)

gabulldawg

Jessica is officially on her way!!!! Can't wait til she gets here!!! I'm ready to wear her. I love my trusy half wig, but Janet is starting to work my nerves. :ohwell:

pookaloo83

Just ordered Coconut Girl by Freetress. Can't wait to try it out! This will be my first time ever wearing a half wig.

glamazon386

Any tips for how to fix frizzy hair on a synthetic half wig? I love my wig but there is one spot that looks a little rough. :ohwell: Not sure what to do.

There's this mousse you can get called Wet N Wavy mousse. You just put a little bit on and kind of scrunch it. It'll redefine the original set. It works for both human and synthetic hair.

gabulldawg

There's this mousse you can get called Wet N Wavy mousse. You just put a little bit on and kind of scrunch it. It'll redefine the original set. It works for both human and synthetic hair.

Thanks for the info. I actually have that mousse and don't think I've ever really used it. :lol: I have since thrown away my first Janet wig (Got too rough for me), but I am wearing my second one now and will plan to try to mousse when it gets rough...

glamazon386

Thanks for the info. I actually have that mousse and don't think I've ever really used it. :lol: I have since thrown away my first Janet wig (Got too rough for me), but I am wearing my second one now and will plan to try to mousse when it gets rough...

YW... I used to use it on my half wigs all the time back in the day. I don't wear them much anymore. I popped into this thread because I was a "I need some swinging hair" kind of mood. :lol: I'll probably go to the BSS later and pick out a new wig.

gabulldawg

YW... I used to use it on my half wigs all the time back in the day. I don't wear them much anymore. I popped into this thread because I was a "I need some swinging hair" kind of mood. :lol: I'll probably go to the BSS later and pick out a new wig.

:lol: I know exactly what you mean. What have you been doing to your hair lately? Are you wearing your natural hair? Sorry to briefly hijack this thread!

glamazon386

:lol: I know exactly what you mean. What have you been doing to your hair lately? Are you wearing your natural hair? Sorry to briefly hijack this thread!

Yeah I've been wearing my natural hair most of the time. I usually just wear a twist out or a bun. Sometimes a puff. But I've been feeling like my hair isn't "done" lately. And I have no idea what to do with it. :ohwell:

gabulldawg

Yeah I've been wearing my natural hair most of the time. I usually just wear a twist out or a bun. Sometimes a puff. But I've been feeling like my hair isn't "done" lately. And I have no idea what to do with it. :ohwell:

If that's your natural hair in your siggy it looks great! :yep: But I definitely know how you feel. I'm not natural, but sometimes I just feel like my hair doesn't cut it. I don't know why...

gabulldawg

i think i may be joining the half wig team.. i'm finding i dont like weaves too much =(

This is one of the reasons I got into them. I like weaves, but they itch too darn much!!! And I don't like not being able to get to my scalp. Half wigs give the impression that you have a sew in without the commitment. :lol:

Many people just assume that I have a sew in with my half wig. I don't correct them if they say it is one. :lol:

glamazon386

If that's your natural hair in your siggy it looks great! :yep: But I definitely know how you feel. I'm not natural, but sometimes I just feel like my hair doesn't cut it. I don't know why...

Yeah that's my hair. Thanks! :) I ended up going to the BSS and buying that damn Creta full cap wig somebody else posted in this thread and I hate it. :wallbash: It's too much hair for every day wear for me. I'm gonna have to play with it and see if I can make it work. If not, I'll just reserve it for going out or for when I'm working at the bar. It seems like it'll be alright in a nightlife environment. :ohwell:

UniquelyDivine

The answer to this may already be in this thread but I didn't have the patience to look, forgive my laziness! How do you ladies keep your wigs from feeling dried out and ratty? I have quite the collection of HW's now but I am finding that after I wash them they lose that silky feeling, I purchased some wig conditioner spray from hair sisters but that mess isnt worth a d*mn! So please do tell, what do you do when your HW are feeling like hay...or do I just need to throw these puppies out?

Barbie83

^^^^I don't wash my half-wigs :look:

When they get ratty I just throw them out. I don't have the patience to deal with trying to revive synthetic hair. I'm sure SelfStyled or Frisky have a way more useful response :lol:

gabulldawg

The answer to this may already be in this thread but I didn't have the patience to look, forgive my laziness! How do you ladies keep your wigs from feeling dried out and ratty? I have quite the collection of HW's now but I am finding that after I wash them they lose that silky feeling, I purchased some wig conditioner spray from hair sisters but that mess isnt worth a d*mn! So please do tell, what do you do when your HW are feeling like hay...or do I just need to throw these puppies out?

What I do is wash my half wig everytime I wash my real hair, which is usually once a week. I wash it according to the instructions on the tag that comes with the wig. After I wash I also spray it generously with wig conditioning spray and comb out the wig while it's wet (even though the directions say not to :lol:). Then I lay the wig on a towel and let it airdry overnight. It's so soft and silky and shiny the next day!

Another thing to keep in mind is being EXTRA careful with detangling the wig. With my first Janet wig I was kinda rough with it because I am impatient and used a sculpting brush. I had to get rid of it after about a month. :sad: With my current wig(s) I use a wide tooth comb and take more time with detangling from the ends of the hair to the root.

Basically my advice is to treat the half wig just like you would treat your own hair and it should last longer. :yep: I've gotten fairly long use out of my half wigs.

chelleypie810

Thanks barbie for suggesting the elasta qp for the edges! It's great and gabulldawg..I will def. do this b/c yasmine is already getting a little too tangly.

*Frisky*

Yeah that's my hair. Thanks! :) I ended up going to the BSS and buying that damn Creta full cap wig somebody else posted in this thread and I hate it. :wallbash: It's too much hair for every day wear for me. I'm gonna have to play with it and see if I can make it work. If not, I'll just reserve it for going out or for when I'm working at the bar. It seems like it'll be alright in a nightlife environment. :ohwell:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

girl didnt you read what I posted..that sucka is GYNORMOUS and it is only good for the weekends and going out.

Barbie83

Thanks barbie for suggesting the elasta qp for the edges! It's great and gabulldawg..I will def. do this b/c yasmine is already getting a little too tangly.

I think that was Smiley.....I like to use Hairveda Almond Glaze on mine :yep:
(I may have to look into that Elasta QP though.....:scratchch)

motherpopcorn562

i wash them. the curly ones in conditioner. spray with leave in or glycerin put a little oil on the ends.

naturalmanenyc

My new hair was waiting on me when I got home from a work trip.:grin:

Both are a bit bigger than I expected. I think I may have to cut them down.:perplexed

I ordered Celtic Girl and Nia Girl, patiently waiting for my shipping confirmation from blackhairspray.com

Celtic Girl

Nia Girl

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Nia Girl in #2, worn straight out of the bag & a bit windblown. She is not work hair, at least not at my office.

Celtic Girl #2 worn out of the bag. She could be everyday work hair.

I plan to blend using a damp plait for my leave out hair next time instead of swapping out wigs without rebraiding. My hair is in 6 cornrows underneath. I can finally cornrow my own hair:grin::grin:

@gabulldawg .. YES! it itches so bad and I wanna wash and DC normally.. so I'm going to just make a half wig with the hair I have in now.. but I'm going to to keep it if for like 4 more weeks I guess =/

kandegirl

I couldn't remember the name but this is the wig I posted about "nia girl". She is huge but she was work hair for me. My coworkers loved it. Said I looked sassy!

Nia Girl in #2, worn straight out of the bag & a bit windblown. She is not work hair, at least not at my office.

Celtic Girl #2 worn out of the bag. She could be everyday work hair.

I plan to blend using a damp plait for my leave out hair next time instead of swapping out wigs without rebraiding. My hair is in 6 cornrows underneath. I can finally cornrow my own hair:grin::grin: