Y'all weren't lying about winter hats drying out your hair...

prettyinpurple

Well it's pretty cold in the DC area so I need to wear a hat. My poor 'fro was all dry and frizzy by the time I got to work yesterday and took off my hat. Just wasted my time moisturizing that morning lol. I got smart today and wore a satin scarf under the hat. Voila, no more dry hair -- still nice and moisturized from using my hair milk (from Karen's Body Beautiful).

I think I need to invest in a nice hat with a silk lining. :grin:

ETA: I highly recommend products from karensbodybeautiful.com!

I know! I wear a silk scarf on my head tied like the Muslim women do so that every strand, even the baby hair, will be protected. Then, I cover that with the hood of my hoodie. It's been working out quite well so far.:)

Banana Republic has some silk knit hats for winter. I found a few on ebay.

Usually I use a heavier weight silk shawl over my head and then I put my wool hood over that if it's very cold.

prettyinpurple said:
Well it's pretty cold in the DC area so I need to wear a hat. My poor 'fro was all dry and frizzy by the time I got to work yesterday and took off my hat. Just wasted my time moisturizing that morning lol. I got smart today and wore a satin scarf under the hat. Voila, no more dry hair -- still nice and moisturized from using my hair milk (from Karen's Body Beautiful).

I think I need to invest in a nice hat with a silk lining. :grin:

ETA: I highly recommend products from karensbodybeautiful.com!

Even with my silk lined hats,there's no silk near the brim area or covering my edges and nape. I still wear a silk scarf tied either front babushka style or tied back night style to cover every hair. My silk/satin lined faux fur hats are from ShopNBC and QVC.

I bought a silk knit hat on tenderheaded.com. It has served me well in the below zero Chicago weather. Sometimes, I put a silk scarf on underneath the hat.

Back