Would You Sue Your Salon for $50,000 for Damaging Your Hair?

Nice Lady

I saw this article on yahoo.com in the Fashion and Beauty section and I thought to myself, if we could sue our salons, how much money we would accumulate for overprocessing our hair(prior to our journey) or for doing unlawful trims. The article ends off with giving some general advice. What do you think?

Would You Sue a Salon for $50,000 if They Screwed Up Your Hair?

Time to play armchair jury, and have I got a doozy of a case for you. A woman in Oregon, who has been bleaching her hair for 25 years, is suing her salon for $50,000 because her hair started snapping off after her most recent bleaching session.

The woman, Sarah Jane Ward, blames an inept stylist and says she suffered humiliation, depression and had to pay for hair extensions. (She should have checked out this video on doing hair extensions at home, would have saved her some cash.)

The salon claims that Ward ignored a stylist's recommendations and damaged her hair with teasing and flat ironing (I wonder if she was using one of these flat irons?). They also say that since she didn't go bald or suffer a mental health crisis, they shouldn't be responsible.

While we can't give a verdict (we'll leave that up to the jury … and any of you who'd like to comment below), we can give some advice on keeping color-treated hair from turning into a disaster like this:

Avoid heat styling whenever you can and don't use scorching hot water in the shower.

When you do heat style, always use a product to protect hair (like one of these).

Stay out of the sun (or wear a hat when exposed to sun). And look for hair products that contain SPF and are formulated for color-treated hair.

Wash hair less -- it will keep hair from drying out and help color last longer. When you do shampoo, make sure it's with a quality product, like one of these. And always follow up with a good conditioner.

Leave a weekly deep conditioning treatment (these ones are fantastic) on strands for at least 15 minutes to allow it to reach down to your hair's cuticle.

Use a large-toothed comb in the shower while deep conditioning to distribute the product evenly through hair.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beau...r-50-000-if-they-screwed-up-your-hair-457542/

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I would need all the facts before i decided on this one; but for me, i would sue if i had suffered serious damage due to a stylist's mistake (leaving relaxer on too long etc).

msa

I'm of the opinion that patrons control the experience they have in the salon. The only thing I blame stylists for is mixing the wrong chemicals (color, strength, etc.) and lying about their skills. Everything else should be addressed by the person sitting in the chair.

that_1_grrrl

I'm of the opinion that patrons control the experience they have in the salon. The only thing I blame stylists for is mixing the wrong chemicals (color, strength, etc.) and lying about their skills. Everything else should be addressed by the person sitting in the chair.

Right, I think a grown woman should know that bleach can damage hair. If she does not take the time to educate herself on how to minimize the risk of damage, then she ought to get used to seeing :clown: in the mirror.

MizzBrown

This is why many salons make you sign that waiver before applying chemical services.

My old stylist had a checklist waiver for new clients.

Had to list all your allergies, medications, previous relaxers, any scalp issues and then sign that you were aware of the service being performed.

msa

This is why many salons make you sign that waiver before applying chemical services.

My old stylist had a checklist waiver for new clients.

Had to list all your allergies, medications, previous relaxers, any scalp issues and then sign that you were aware of the service being performed.

Smart stylist.

Especially nowadays when people want to act like the moment their butt hits the chair they're suddenly blind, deaf, and dumb.

MizzBrown

Smart stylist.

Especially nowadays when people want to act like the moment their butt hits the chair they're suddenly blind, deaf, and dumb.

I really think more of them should do this instead of just letting a stranger sit in your chair with hair needs unknown.

It just takes 5 minutes to look over the form and that should be considered a quick consultation.

We sit in the chair, get a relaxer then go home and complain about burns and damage because we neglected to tell the stylist that we washed our hair AND applied Sulfur 8 as a base 4 hrs prior. And the stylist should ask us these questions as well.

When I got Highlights for the first time, i sat in the chair and she looked at my hair and said she wouldnt do it and to come back in a couple weeks before or after my relaxer...cant remember...but the fact that she turned me away! That made me trust her even more.

Nice Lady

I think in this particular scenario the person was possibly wrong. But, stylists sometimes do a lot of things that are damaging and should pay for it. Even if a person signs a waiver, it is still possible to bring a suit(it is a misconception that if someone signs anything that they can't bring a suit--that is a lie. I have even got my friend out a signed contract with a major corporation and he was the little man).

momi

A new "stylist" has fried my hair! I want a full refund or I'm taking her to small claims court. I am not normally a litigious person, but her cavalier attitude about the situation has pressed me! :mad:

Has anyone ever successfully sued their hair stylist???

Britt

A new "stylist" has fried my hair! I want a full refund or I'm taking her to small claims court. I am not normally a litigious person, but her cavalier attitude about the situation has pressed me! :mad:

Has anyone ever successfully sued their hair stylist???
I haven't but I totally feel your pain.
I stopped going to a stylist b/c she's ruined my hair twice. The first time was with color and the damage was cumulative and could be fixed by continuing to take care of my hair. I also took matters into my hands and told her we'd stop with going lighter bc I feel my hair incurred some damage. The second time was over the summer when she relaxed my hair and severely over processed it... I KNEW it was over processed when she sat me under the dryer and I touched my scalp, my hair was disintegrating when I rubbed my strands. I knew in that moment it was a freaking wrap. This damage was permanent b/c it's bad chemical damage. I knew I would never see her again. I called her over to show her my hair and said this is not normal and she had the same cavalier attitude, that's what pissed me the helll off. She was so non chalant about it and then had the nerve to tell me that's how relaxed hair is supposed to feel and that it's not going to feel thick like my natural hair. I just collected that L and knew she'd never touch my head again. As a result I'm transitioning right back to natural and I pray this go around I find a good stylist.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I stopped going to a stylist b/c she's ruined my hair twice. The first time was with color and the damage was cumulative and could be fixed by continuing to take care of my hair. I also took matters into my hands and told her we'd stop with going lighter bc I feel my hair incurred some damage. The second time was over the summer when she relaxed my hair and severely over processed it... I KNEW it was over processed when she sat me under the dryer and I touched my scalp, my hair was disintegrating when I rubbed my strands. I knew in that moment it was a freaking wrap. This damage was permanent b/c it's bad chemical damage. I knew I would never see her again. I called her over to show her my hair and said this is not normal and she had the same cavalier attitude, that's what pissed me the helll off. She was so non chalant about it and then had the nerve to tell me that's how relaxed hair is supposed to feel and that it's not going to feel thick like my natural hair. I just collected that L and knew she'd never touch my head again. As a result I'm transitioning right back to natural and I pray this go around I find a good stylist.

That is so awful! I hope that this had no effect on your follicles. Why do some people have that "nonchalant" attitude when they mess up? I hate that.

@momi I am sorry this happened to the both of you!! :giveheart:

momi

@Britt - all I can say is wow. Chemical damage is nothing to play with! I guess that will be the last money either of those stylists will see from us. smh

Last night I deep conditioned and twisted the damaged ends with rods. The color actually looks pretty decent, and I'm hoping the heat/chemical damage can be reversed - I guess I'll just take a cue from you and put a check in the L column. I do have a case, but I feel bad bringing a lawsuit against the little girl - must be getting soft in my older age. lol

Britt

@Britt - all I can say is wow. Chemical damage is nothing to play with! I guess that will be the last money either of those stylists will see from us. smh

Last night I deep conditioned and twisted the damaged ends with rods. The color actually looks pretty decent, and I'm hoping the heat/chemical damage can be reversed - I guess I'll just take a cue from you and put a check in the L column. I do have a case, but I feel bad bringing a lawsuit against the little girl - must be getting soft in my older age. lol
Awwwww! Idk... if you really feel it's worth it go on with the case.
My hair is/was BEYOND repair so I collected my L after I cried and now I'm sitting here transitioning again.
Depending on how severe your heat damage is you might have to cut the ends, I really hope it's not that bad. The thing is, my hair was always ruined at the hands of stylists. And these were 'reputable, higher end' stylists. Load up on your protein treatments for awhile and see how things go. One thing I found to give what was left of my curls some elasticity was this Ouidad Melt Down Repair Mask . I used it exclusively before I relaxed and had damage. It helped my curls out more than DRC28 and Olaplex. I ordered from Amazon b/c otherwise it's too pricey. Good luck and keep us posted :yep:

momi

Awwwww! Idk... if you really feel it's worth it go on with the case.
My hair is/was BEYOND repair so I collected my L after I cried and now I'm sitting here transitioning again.
Depending on how severe your heat damage is you might have to cut the ends, I really hope it's not that bad. The thing is, my hair was always ruined at the hands of stylists. And these were 'reputable, higher end' stylists. Load up on your protein treatments for awhile and see how things go. One thing I found to give what was left of my curls some elasticity was this Ouidad Melt Down Repair Mask . I used it exclusively before I relaxed and had damage. It helped my curls out more than DRC28 and Olaplex. I ordered from Amazon b/c otherwise it's too pricey. Good luck and keep us posted :yep:

Thanks for the tip! I ended up using a hair repair mask from Moroccan Hair that I picked up from TJMaxx. After two applications my curls somewhat reverted but I still had to use a rod in the front for my twist outs.

To correct the color I used a neutral protein filler and followed up with a Demi-permanent Dark Copper blonde. It is much closer to the color I'd initially requested and I love it.

Now I am prepping for braids which I plan to use for my tapered twa growout.

Britt

Thanks for the tip! I ended up using a hair repair mask from Moroccan Hair that I picked up from TJMaxx. After two applications my curls somewhat reverted but I still had to use a rod in the front for my twist outs.

To correct the color I used a neutral protein filler and followed up with a Demi-permanent Dark Copper blonde. It is much closer to the color I'd initially requested and I love it.

Now I am prepping for braids which I plan to use for my tapered twa growout.
You're welcome!
I'm so glad your hair is bouncing back a little bit. Protein will help out some.
Braids will certainly help with the growout for the twa. I'm currently using them to help with my transition.