Can I sue a hair salon for putting relaxer on my head?

Krystle~Hime

Okay, first of all, that's not my story, but a friend of mine.

"on 7th july for my 1 year nappyversary, I went to the hairdresser pour getting something special. I did MAKE CLEAR to not relax my hair, otherwise I will be so MADDDD:angry2: .
she claimed, pretended she will post a mask that will make my curl pop but that I will don't have to worry, it will fade after 1st shampoo(you know, i'm not expert so.. and the time i've tried rhassoul + hibiscus it also made my curls pop so I wasnt' worried)
BUT my scalp starting to burn and after rinsing I found myself with hair so straight than ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big disappointment after one year growing it out my hair :( "

so this is her story. and me and friends were wondering if its possible to sue the hairdresser,
i mean if I go to a beautician and I ask her a face mask, and if she put a bleaching mask, or something containing hydroquinone or similar ingredients, I know I will sue her :ohwell: in the past, and even actually I see so many people having skin cancer, skin burning, hives red pimples, infections, due to these products.
for me this hairdresser plays with her health(scalp burn, scalp infections, respiratory problems, alopecia..), and also several dermatologists are against these hair/Scalp products. so tell me your thoughts ? is it possible/would you sue?

There was another post about the pretty much the same thing. They told the woman she was getting a deep conditioner but really put relaxer in the conditioner. I'm no big time city lawyer (or any lawyer for that matter) But you might be able to take this to smalls claim court for damages and presenting a fraudulent service/product. And I definitely would sue. If I want a wash blow out, I wouldn't expect relaxer and she seemed to do it just to make her job easier.

Yes definitely. Not only could she sue for presenting a fraudulent service but also for psychological stress.

I'd think she could sue.
This is why I'm a DIY person. No beauticians for me...I'd have to kill somebody for real.

Sent from my iPod Touch using LHCF App

Personally I think she has a case. What if she was allergic to relaxers and had a horrible reaction, they dont think about this. If the hairdresser didn't want to deal with natural hair as bad as it sounds. refuse to do it instead of putting a relaxer in the conditioner to make her life easier. This is why I do everything regarding my hair myself.

Good luck to your friend, so sorry this happened to her.

Wow, that's crazy. I feel bad for your friend. I just can't imagine why someone would do that. I would think that she has a case. Boy there would have definitely been some kind of scene if that was my head!

I don't know if she can sue but I sincerely hope she can win this. These stylists need to be held accountable for their actions, just like any other business!

I'm pretty sure she can sue.

This is why I stay away from hairdressers though. From most people touching my hair. Period.

I've seen cases like that on peoples court. She can sue and get her money back for the service she paid for but for psychological or medical damages she would have to have support/documentation from a medical professional as evidence of her losses

I would say yes; for negligence, fraudulent business practices, mental and psychological stress, among other things. She has to prove 3 things: the chemical state of her hair before and after the visit and that it was agreed between her and her beautician that there would be NO relaxer applied. Good luck to her.

Just a question, not trying to be rude, but was there a language barrier? From reading the OP and looking at the wording it sounds like English may not be the first language. This would only be important if the stylist was English speaking (or language other than that of the customer) and the customer was not, could the stylist claim she did not adequately understand the customers wishes and this was in large part due to a language barrier? This was in no way meant to be offensive. I work with people from all over the country where English is their second language. Often times I think I know what they are saying, only to find they were saying something slightly different.

ETA: lol, my American privilege/conceit is showing. I guess I expect and assume everyone speaks or is speaking in English.

Back