With what tool is your relaxer applied?

What does your stylist use to apply your relaxer?

• an applicator brush

Votes: 51 47.2%
  • hand/fingers

Votes: 46 42.6%
  • comb

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • other. Then What?

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MissMusic

Just curious. My stylist uses her hand/fingers. My aunt uses an applicator brush to relax herself. My cousin uses the back side of a comb to self relax, lol :spinning:. Any comments are welcome as to why one might be better than the other. So, what do you or your stylist use to apply a relaxer and which tool is best (as suggested below)?

Last edited:
What should you use when you apply relaxer? I've been using a comb but I'm thinking of switching to something else?

What's the best tool?

All of the above!!!

I start with the applicator brush, then I use my fingers and then I use the back of the rat tail comb for smoothing.. Yup, I am an indecisive Libra or just impatient :spinning:

I must use my fingers (bare) so I can "feel" my newgrowth as I apply. I also use the back of the comb for smoothing.

What should you use when you apply relaxer? I've been using a comb but I'm thinking of switching to something else?

What's the best tool?

I don't know if there is a best, but I would think that which ever one keeps the chemical off of your scalp! Of course someone out there must have a better explanation

I use an applicator brush because it gives the most precise,een distribution of the relaxer. I go back and smooth with a comb and my fingers.

I use my hands for the application and I use the spatula thing that comes with the relaxer to smooth when I'm done applying

I must use my fingers (bare) so I can "feel" my newgrowth as I apply. I also use the back of the comb for smoothing.

Don't you burn your fingers doing that? I tried and my skin was not happy.

I use gloved fingers. I buy nice latex free very thin gloves and they are faaaaantastic.

Then I smooth with comb and fingers.

i used a comb and smoothed with my fingers. that was my first self relax and my hair does not even look like a perm touched it. maybe i didnt use enough relaxer.

I use a plastic pastry bag, w/ a plastic tip. I like it cause I am able to squeeze out just enough and aplly quickly, I smooth w/ my fingers.

I use gloved fingers. I buy nice latex free very thin gloves and they are faaaaantastic.
Like ultra thin condoms ehh lool :grin::grin:

Okay sorry for me being random!! lool Too many Red Bulls!! But I like using a small appilicator brush. It lets you be precise and not get on the previously relaxed

Like ultra thin condoms ehh lool :grin::grin:

Okay sorry for me being random!! lool Too many Red Bulls!! But I like using a small appilicator brush. It lets you be precise and not get on the previously relaxed

LOL exactly.

Cause I'm allergic to latex and found out the hard way. :blush:

Don't you burn your fingers doing that? I tried and my skin was not happy.

Then I smooth with comb and fingers.
No burning here and I've done it too many times to count. My fingers are like extra "eyes" so I can "see", especially in the back. :eye:

EEEK! I used my hands which I know isn't good bc my fingernails turn like a tint of yellow... yeah cough haha going to have to get some gloves huh?
haha

I use an applicator brush to apply and smooth. The tail end of the brush works well for parts. I'd be lost without this brush.

No burning here and I've done it too many times to count. My fingers are like extra "eyes" so I can "see", especially in the back. :eye:

I prefer doing it this way, actually.

Honestly, I think some relaxers are better for this than others.

I used to do it with my bare fingers while using TCB Naturals. That stuff almost melted away my fingerprint! :drunk: It took days to get back to normal.

But, with Profectiv, I've used my bare fingers and it is not harsh on my skin at all. I can still tell that the chemicals touched my skin, but not as much.

But I have found that my tint brush (not the regular color brush) and skin tight gloves work okay. Still nothing better than the eyes on the fingers. :yep:

Back