Wig Wearers

princessdi

Okay, I've decided to wear a wig until the end of the year to give my hair a break and I have a few concerns.

First, today is the first day wearing my wig and I feel a little uncomfortable wearing it.:blush: Did anyone else feel this way? To make it look a little like my own, I went with a short wig and I think it looks great. I think I'm more concerned about what others are saying or snickering behind their backs. Oh well, hopefully I will be able to overlook that.

Second, I've barely had it on two hours and I have a headache out of this world. I'm wondering if it's due to pressure points.:sad: Although wig doesn't feel tight, I'm thinking the wig cap that I have on underneath is causing my headache. I've felt this way at night when my silk scarf is wrapped too tight. Any suggestions for relief?

Third, I'm afraid that the wig may wear away my hairline. Is there anyway to prevent this? My hair is doing so well and I don't want to start seeing short hairs around the hairline or I don't want to see my hairline fade.:nono: Any suggestions for keeping the hairline nice and healthy?

Lubricate your entire hairline (front, sides and back) with oil, hair butter, or a creamy leave-in conditioner before putting your wig cap on. Do this every time you put your wig on. Is your hair braided or flat-twisted underneath your wig cap? If your wig cap is too tight, try a mesh wig cap. They tend to be more comfortable to wear, and your hair and scalp receive more air circulation.

During my wig wearing phase I always selected wig styles that looked most like my hair texture, style and length and most people could not tell the difference. They thought I had just gotten my hair done. As long as your wig doesn't look "wiggy" and you wear it with confidence, you'll be getting compliments left and right.

Lubricate your entire hairline (front, sides and back) with oil, hair butter, or a creamy leave-in conditioner before putting your wig cap on. Do this every time you put your wig on. Is your hair braided or flat-twisted underneath your wig cap? If your wig cap is too tight, try a mesh wig cap. They tend to be more comfortable to wear, and your hair and scalp receive more air circulation.

During my wig wearing phase I always selected wig styles that looked most like my hair texture, style and length and most people could not tell the difference. They thought I had just gotten my hair done. As long as your wig doesn't look "wiggy" and you wear it with confidence, you'll be getting compliments left and right.

Thank you---yes, I received compliments all day yesterday. No one could tell it wasn't my hair. I'm loving the style, I'm just concerned about the hairline. I've ordered the comfy grip wig cap and can't wait to get it. The wig cap that I have is nylon and is way too tight. I kept a headache for most of the day. I hope I will be able to tell the difference with the comfy grip. Also, when wearing wigs, did it help you achieve your goal length? That's what I'm hoping for. I've been wearing phony ponies and that's okay, I just wanted something different.

I am wearing corn rows underneath my wig. I'm hoping that this will be less manipulation on my hair.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to oil and moisturize my hairline like crazy!!:yep:

Thank you---yes, I received compliments all day yesterday. No one could tell it wasn't my hair. I'm loving the style, I'm just concerned about the hairline. I've ordered the comfy grip wig cap and can't wait to get it. The wig cap that I have is nylon and is way too tight. I kept a headache for most of the day. I hope I will be able to tell the difference with the comfy grip. Also, when wearing wigs, did it help you achieve your goal length? That's what I'm hoping for. I've been wearing phony ponies and that's okay, I just wanted something different.

I am wearing corn rows underneath my wig. I'm hoping that this will be less manipulation on my hair.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to oil and moisturize my hairline like crazy!!:yep:
You're welcome. My wig phase was way before I discovered hair boards and it helped me during the awkward grow out of a short haircut. I didn't have a goal length, but I had so much fun with the first wig that I bought another and another, and I kind of became addicted to wig wearing for a while, trying different styles, colors and lengths as my hair grew out.

as the previous poster asked, how is your underneath? keeping it braided & moisturized is the key!!!

i prefer 1/2 wig over the full wig.

Make sure to push the wig back a little bit.
Don't be afraid to experiment.
Always buy two of any wig that you like, so that you don't make abrupt changes.
always make sure your hair is dry under your wig.
No matter what you do, if you wear an ill-fitting wig, your hairline will get damaged over time. Invest in a lace wig or a big-headed wig if you have an odd-shaped head.

If you are getting headaches, then your wig needs stretching. Make sure that you have set the little tabs in the back to the largest possible. Also, stretch the wig out.

ITA with what Balisi said....

i went wig crazy from October until December of last year...my hair grew out very good...and sometimes will purchase another wig..(ive been scoping out this other wig thats like 50.00, usually the wigs i purchase i no more than 20 to 30)

now im trying to get back into it...

but mostly i would keep my hair moisturized with oils or moisturizers day and night...i would wash and deep condition my hair at least once or twice a week(because i worked out also)....every now and then i would blow dry my hair with the straighten attachment to see what my progress was....

i think i did fairly well with that regimen for the wigs..

wow Balisi i didnt know that you had short hair at one time, your hair is so so pretty and long now....did you also do the wigs to go natural also?

wow Balisi i didnt know that you had short hair at one time, your hair is so so pretty and long now....did you also do the wigs to go natural also?

Yeah, girl. I just HAD to go for the pixie cut. It was very cute but when I got tired of it, my wig phase was born. I didn't wear wigs much to transition, but I had a pony puff or two.

as the previous poster asked, how is your underneath? keeping it braided & moisturized is the key!!!

i prefer 1/2 wig over the full wig.
I keep my hair in cornrolls underneath. How do you moisturize the cornrolls? Should I take them out daily, moisturize, and rebraid or should I just use braid spray?

oh and also another thing i did...when i would get home off from work and wasnt either going anywhere i would take the wig off and just wrap my hair up in a scarf or knot scarf in the back(Erkyah Badu) lol....if i was just running quick to the store or to even go workout this is what i would put on....

Back