wig advice needed!

Glitter

I have been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my hair this summer. I need something that is quick, easy, and looks professional - and with my current hair skills (or lack of) I knew finding something would be a challenge.

Originally, I was going to wear weaves but I think that may be too much given the condition of my hair right now. I think that wigs would work well for my lifestyle. I have some questions though:

1. What on earth do you with your hair under the wig? Braid it? Baggy it? Leave it out?

2. How do you choose the correct color? Somebody always told me to buy 1b - is that a good rule to follow?

3. How much should I expect to spend on a wig?

4. I was thinking of getting a lacefront because I heard those were very realistic. Somebody told me to get a lace wig but then somebody else told me it doesn't matter because even synthetic wigs look real now. :confused: Who is right?

5. Are there any good online wig vendors you could suggest?

Thanks guys! I think this will be fun if I can find one I really like.

IvyHair said:
I have been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my hair this summer. I need something that is quick, easy, and looks professional - and with my current hair skills (or lack of) I knew finding something would be a challenge.

Originally, I was going to wear weaves but I think that may be too much given the condition of my hair right now. I think that wigs would work well for my lifestyle. I have some questions though:

1. What on earth do you with your hair under the wig? Braid it? Baggy it? Leave it out?

2. How do you choose the correct color? Somebody always told me to buy 1b - is that a good rule to follow?

3. How much should I expect to spend on a wig?

4. I was thinking of getting a lacefront because I heard those were very realistic. Somebody told me to get a lace wig but then somebody else told me it doesn't matter because even synthetic wigs look real now. :confused: Who is right?

5. Are there any good online wig vendors you could suggest?

Thanks guys! I think this will be fun if I can find one I really like.

1. Baggying is good but yes braids
2. 1B & 30 is what I get I like color!
3. $40 for synthetic a little more for human
4. Just make sure your wig has a scalp. The falls are nice you just leave a little of your hair out in the front it looks really real.
5. IDK I like to go try mine on see what looks good on me. (I just started wearing them since stretching & they are sooo convenient):)

1. What on earth do you with your hair under the wig? Braid it? Baggy it? Leave it out? I leave my hair out. Some people braid their hair or baggy it. All 3 options work, it's just up to you which one you like better. I don't baggy my hair ever. And I don't have the patience to braid.

2. How do you choose the correct color? Somebody always told me to buy 1b - is that a good rule to follow? If it's a full wig you can get any color you like since all your hair is going to be covered. I find that if you go too dark like say a 1 which is jet black it looks more shiny and looks fake.

3. How much should I expect to spend on a wig? It depends on if you're buying human or synthetic. I wouldn't expect a human one to be more than about $50 unless the hair on it was really long. I usually buy synthetic for about $20-$30.

4. I was thinking of getting a lacefront because I heard those were very realistic. Somebody told me to get a lace wig but then somebody else told me it doesn't matter because even synthetic wigs look real now. :confused: Who is right? If you get a lacefront, you need to measure your head to make sure it'll fit right. They cost upwards of $100 and you'd probably have to order it from an online vendor unless you know somewhere in your area that sells them. Also you have to use glue/adhesive around the front to get it to stay. I'd just go to the BSS and try some on until you find one you like. It's easier and cheaper.

5. Are there any good online wig vendors you could suggest? Hairsisters has a good variety to look at. The majority of the brands they sell you should be able to find in a local BSS. If you see one you like online you could go to the store and check it out if you didn't wanna order it online.

HTH...

Thanks so much for your advice ladies. I was wondering how you choose a wig that doesn't look fake. Now I know to avoid the "jet black color". bmoreflyygirl, I checked out that site you posted and found many wigs which interest me. Unfortunately, I don't have a bss around. The only place that sells wigs near me is a costume store...:ohwell:

I think this will be fun! I'm trying to determine hair length and color now because I'm starting to realize that I have the power to be a totally different person. I'm going to the city for exactly 3 months. Nobody at my job will know me and if I see people I know, I'll just explained that I straightened my hair and got some highlights.

Also, I'm trying to make the wigs look as natural as possible - I have this fear that the wig will slide off my head or not sit on my head correctly. The one thing I noticed is that a lot of wigs are already parted. Does anyone know if you can part them a different way? It would be great to find a wig that does that without showing tracks.

Also, do you guys just wear the same wig/same style every day or would it be better to get some different styles?

And finally, is there any way to take away the glossy shine you see on wigs/pieces? I have a nice ponytail piece I'd like to use as well but you need shades to even look at it - the thing has mad shine.

1. I baggy or bun my hair. Today, I'm going to actually braid it for the first time.

2. I stuck with the color of my hair which is jet black 1. Therefore, it doesn't look fake on me.

3. The wigs I have purchased are $30-$40 synthetic fibers. I also wear phoney ponies as well.

4. I can't help you on this. I don't know anything about lacefronts.

5. I like to try my wigs on in the store. However, sometimes I will look online for the same wig to see if it is cheaper. I have these brands of wigs so try these websites www.freetress.com and www.besthairs.com

Back