Why would anyone relax every 4 weeks?

I honestly believe that our misconceptions about relaxers are exactly why some of us have hair "that long". We get them too often and then don't take care of our hair. Yes some people have resistant hair and they actually need to relax longer and may even need "super" but I think that is a minority of women. Yes some stylists are taking advantage of us because they know it's big business. They are charging us a fortune to relax our hair. Sorry but 85 to 90 bucks is pure ridiculous! :wallbash: It takes less than an hour to put a relaxer on so, darn man, how much do these people make per hour? I have seriously thought about quitting my sales job.

I think that if most of us would stretch to at least 1 inch of growth or more (for me 8 to 10 wks) and add protein and moisture consistently we would begin to change the way our hair is viewed. After about 5 weeks your regimen has to change because your stretching has begun and your hair has different needs. For example, I try to manipulate less during stretching to protect the demarcation line. I baby my demarcation line and roots....Our hair does grow but there is a reason why in many cases it appears not to.

When I was younger I used to get one every 4 weeks cause that's what my stylist said to do. ((She was also nearly bald by the way))....

And even worse....and she used to slide it down to the ends EVERY SINGLE TIME....

Aggh!!

Everybody is different. Everyone has different rate of growth, growth patterns, and hair practices. Everyone can't stretch to 16weeks. Their hair will break or shed terribly. I for one am one of these people. My hair grows very fast. And I do what my hair tells me to do. When my hair starts shedding it is relaxer time. For me it is about 5-6wks.

Co-signing. My hair sheds, tangles, and breaks like crazy usually starting at six weeks. I've tried stretching to seven and eight, but the hair that I lose just isn't worth it. My hair thrives when it's relaxed every six or seven weeks, but I baby it, deep condition, moisturize, and avoid heat like it's the devil in order to compensate. My growth and health hasn't been compromised. I think your texture (mine is a serious 4b) and growth rate matter more than anything else. If I were a 4a or a 3c then, perhaps, I'd be able to go longer between relaxers.

This is me too. Glad to know I'm not alone.

I do. I relax every 4-5 weeks, because i wear my hair in a short pixie cut and i have about 3/4 to 1" of new growth/mth. If i don't my style will look like a toupee on top of a TWA. lol I think as long as the hair that's being relaxed is unprocessed what is the issue.

Back