Why is my hair breaking?

My Friend

I have circles and o's of hair all over the sink. Does this mean my ng is breaking off for some reason? I am a natural 4b

Regi
Wiggin/w plaits/w baggy
Cowash 2x week
protein 2min 1x per month
DC 1x per week
Curl juice/Coconut oil 2x per day

Should I condition w a garlic conditioner? What could cause this to happen?

Thank you.

how uch hair are you talking?you sure it isnt just regular shedding or the normal breakage you get from even the slightest manipulation??

how uch hair are you talking?you sure it isnt just regular shedding or the normal breakage you get from even the slightest manipulation??

A bottle of Drano each month to unclog the sink.:perplexed I have been self medicating my hair in hopes of resolving the problem. I do no want to lose my summer growth spurt over this.

These hairs do not have white bulbs (shedding) on the end :nono:

A bottle of Drano each month to unclog the sink.:perplexed I have been self medicating my hair in hopes of resolving the problem. I do no want to lose my summer growth spurt over this.

These hairs do not have white bulbs (shedding) on the end :nono:

Do they have a black bulb?

How long is your hair? How often do you dust? Why are you letting your sink clog up? :lol: Why don't you get a mesh to catch the hair? :spank:

On a serious note, 100 hairs a day is what scientists say you should lose. Hair can break during grooming depending on how you handle it. Since I stopped combing my hair and started to use fingers to gently detangle--and since I started washing my hair in braids or twists and not manipulating it till dry, I've cut back on breakage a lot.

The ends of your hair are the oldest part of your hair and they do wear and tear. So if you don't trim, they break on their own from weakening due to "aging" and splitting. So that could lead to tiny breaks. If you're seeing longer pieces than what you'd consider just the ends, then you may need to up your protein. I use a reconstructor once a week. I don't think I could wait four weeks to do it.

When you are manipulating or styling your hair, do you notice the broken stands?

How does your hair feel what it is dry and wet?

I'm not sure if you are combing your hair....but if you do comb your hair, I recommend you only comb it when it has conditioner in it, and only use a shower comb. Also, if your hair is the type that gets really tangled, you should wash it in braids. There are a lot of people who lose a lot of hair while detangling.

Last edited:
How often do you trim? I ask because I've spent years suffering from breakage and semi-recently found out it was due to split ends. You might not see splits on the broken hairs but if you do a careful inspection of the hair on your head you might see them.

Is your hair properly moisturized? I thought my hair was moisturized, but after joining the baggy challenge and trying a new moisturizer (Hawaiian Silky 14-1) I found out that my hair had been chronically dry.

For me, I believe my breakage has been due to chronic dryness and not trimming often enough. I don't know if this is also the cause of your problems, but it is something to look into. I hope you resolve this soon!

When you are manipulating or styling your hair, do you notice the broken stands?

How does your hair feel what it is dry and wet?

Yes. When I manipulate they are everywhere. I do use a shower comb on hair that has conditioner and/or S-Curl.

My hair feels soft when dry and a tad too soft when wet.

I'm not sure if you are combing your hair....but if you do comb your hair, I recommend you only comb it when it has conditioner in it, and only use a shower comb. Also, if your hair is the type that gets really tangled, you should wash it in braids. There are a lot of people who loss a lot of hair while detangling.

I'm going to try this :yep:

How often do you trim? I ask because I've spent years suffering from breakage and semi-recently found out it was due to split ends. You might not see splits on the broken hairs but if you do a careful inspection of the hair on your head you might see them.

Is your hair properly moisturized? I thought my hair was moisturized, but after joining the baggy challenge and trying a new moisturizer (Hawaiian Silky 14-1) I found out that my hair had been chronically dry.

For me, I believe my breakage has been due to chronic dryness and not trimming often enough. I don't know if this is also the cause of your problems, but it is something to look into. I hope you resolve this soon!

How often do you trim? Ummm...no trim challenge :look:

Is your hair properly moisturized? I'm in the jheri juice challenge, so I hope I'm properly moisturized :perplexed What does dry hair act and feel like?

How long is your hair? How often do you dust? Why are you letting your sink clog up? :lol: Why don't you get a mesh to catch the hair? :spank:

On a serious note, 100 hairs a day is what scientists say you should lose. Hair can break during grooming depending on how you handle it. Since I stopped combing my hair and started to use fingers to gently detangle--and since I started washing my hair in braids or twists and not manipulating it till dry, I've cut back on breakage a lot.

The ends of your hair are the oldest part of your hair and they do wear and tear. So if you don't trim, they break on their own from weakening due to "aging" and splitting. So that could lead to tiny breaks. If you're seeing longer pieces than what you'd consider just the ends, then you may need to up your protein. I use a reconstructor once a week. I don't think I could wait four weeks to do it.

I agree with this entire post especially the bolded.

How long is your hair? sl in nape area

Do they have a black bulb? :nono:

How often do you dust? Ummmm... no dust challenge :look:

Why are you letting your sink clog up? :lol: Why don't you get a mesh to catch the hair? :spank: I'm in denial :wallbash:

@ Nonie

So you think it's my ends and not my ng? The hairs are tightly curled and about as long a my nailbed when unraveled.

@ Nonie

So you think it's my ends and not my ng? The hairs are tightly curled and about as long a my nailbed when unraveled.

I suspect it is your ends, especially because you don't trim. I think if it were your new growth falling off, you'd see bulbs. I'm pretty sure when hair falls out from alopecia, it has bulbs.

4B hair is coily from base to ends so if your ends broke of, they'd look like circles. If you were to cut my ends, you'd have circles.

How often do you trim? Ummm...no trim challenge :look:

Is your hair properly moisturized? I'm in the jheri juice challenge, so I hope I'm properly moisturized :perplexed What does dry hair act and feel like?

I haven't been following the jheri juice threads. What does that challenge entail? My dry hair doesn't feel as smooth or soft to the touch and its not as pliable as my moisturized hair.

@ Nonie

Yes, those little coils and Os are coming from the ends of your hair.

What kind of tea? When during the grooming process?

Any tea would do really I recently used Black tea....for further information look up tea rinsing in the search field...now that I think about it I think it was more for shedding :ohwell: u could still try it though :look:

Last edited:

The ends of your hair are the oldest part of your hair and they do wear and tear. So if you don't trim, they break on their own from weakening due to "aging" and splitting. So that could lead to tiny breaks.
If you're seeing longer pieces than what you'd consider just the ends, then you may need to up your protein. I use a reconstructor once a week. I don't think I could wait four weeks to do it.

ITA. For years my hair broke off at the rate it grew. The pieces would be everywhere. Since I started:

washing my hair in braids
finger combing my damp/wet hair with conditioner/oil once per week
doing search and destroys (instead of either trims / no cutting period)
not combing dry hair to detangle
doing low-manipulation styling

my breakage has been greatly reduced

HTH

Back