Why honey may lighten hair

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Hydrogen peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide in honey is activated by dilution. However, unlike medical hydrogen peroxide, commonly 3% by volume, it is present in a concentration of only 1 mmol/l in honey. Iron in honey oxidizes the oxygen free radicals released by the hydrogen peroxide.

glucose + H2O + O2 → gluconic acid + H2O2

When used topically (as, for example, a wound dressing), hydrogen peroxide is produced by dilution with body fluids. As a result, hydrogen peroxide is released slowly and acts as an antiseptic. Unlike 3% medical hydrogen peroxide, this slow release does not cause damage to surrounding tissue.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey#Hydrogen_peroxide

So far, I have not had any problems.

Gluconic acid

Gluconic acid occurs naturally in fruit, honey and wine and is used as a food additive, an acidity regulator. It is also used in cleaning products where it helps cleaning up mineral deposits. It is a strong chelating agent, especially in alkaline solution. It chelates the anions of calcium, iron, aluminium, copper, and other heavy metals.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconic_acid

This may be why my hair loves it so.:brainy:

I've been meaning to try a honey rinse as it's supposed to be good for curl definition, eliminating frizz, and as a humectant.

But the lightening effect is supposed to strip hair colour and I've just dyed my hair. Might be good for when I want to strip the colour out and try something new though.

If it doesn't cause damage like bleach or lemon juice, maybe it's a good option for people who want subtle highlights...?

Brownshugaz said:
so it only works when you dilute the honey?
Yup yup! If you mix it with an oil, and then put it in your hair for a pre-poo, the reaction does not happen until water hits it.

PerfectDoak said:
I've been meaning to try a honey rinse as it's supposed to be good for curl definition, eliminating frizz, and as a humectant.

But the lightening effect is supposed to strip hair colour and I've just dyed my hair. Might be good for when I want to strip the colour out and try something new though.

If it doesn't cause damage like bleach or lemon juice, maybe it's a good option for people who want subtle highlights...?

Since it is such a small amount, I guess it would depend on how porous one's hair is and the number of times it is used. I have been using honey for two years now, and my hair is still the same color it always has been. NappyParadise had her natural hair lightened by honey. My hair is virgin, I only wash my hair twice a week, and deep condition whenever I feel like it, so maybe that is why I have been spared. I am starting to use molasses more to change things up and to make sure my hair stayed dark. I am also looking into sodium lactate, since it is supposed to be a strong humectant.

PerfectDoak said:

Honey rinses are great for curl definition. I do them all the time but I think I'm gonna start using molasses because I did notice lightening from the honey.

i wouldnt mind lightening my hair in some areas (highlights)
i wonder if i use this in it often enough would i be able to pull enough color out to get some suble red in my hair from henna.?????

a few weeks ago i realized why my hair had gotten so light...it's the honey, so it definitely works...

i guess its the honey lol

Qetesh said:
i wouldnt mind lightening my hair in some areas (highlights)
i wonder if i use this in it often enough would i be able to pull enough color out to get some suble red in my hair from henna.?????

This would definitely be a good way to naturally lighten and red tones to your hair. :yep:

I loooved putting honey in my deep conditioning mixes. Unfortunately it really made the tips of my hair red and I'm looking to maintain an overall dark tone. I do use molasses and coffee to acheive this, molasses in particular has a gorgeous black brown jewel like tone. Too bad it's not as thick as honey and I'm not too wild about the smell of molasses either, don't even think about tasting it! :barf:

Priestess said:
Too bad it's not as thick as honey and I'm not too wild about the smell of molasses either, don't even think about tasting it! :barf:
That is why I mix in an essential oil. Have you tried blackstrap molasses yet? I noticed the smell is not as strong with that version.

Nymphe said:
That is why I mix in an essential oil. Have you tried blackstrap molasses yet? I noticed the smell is not as strong with that version.

The molasses I have is made by "Grandma's" in the Robust strength which is darker than the Regular. I have heard about blackstrap molasses and on the groafrohairlong site, they even recommend taking a tablespoon or so a day to revert gray hair. :eek:

I haven't come across it yet, I've been using Grandma's in the meantime. :)

Has anyone experienced this?

I want to naturally lighten my hair and I love honey I use it all the time, but I haven't seen a change in my hair color.

How long does it take to see results?

I've just done ALOT of research on this as I want to lighten my red tones from henna without chemicals.
From what I've found, it only works if you leave it on for 8+ hours - and it will lighten further with repeated treatments.
Will post progress tomorrow - sleeping with it on my head :)

PS - my mix was 1/4 cup honey, half the amount of EVOO and half the amount of conditioner.

Yes. when I fist started out I would make concoctions with alot of honey in it and I noticed my hair getting lighter. molasses lightened my hair also.

Hmmmm..... I too use honey in my DC, but I may have to try it a bit more and maybe sleep with it on. I did just henna too and that added some color, we'll see what happens in the nxt two weeks after my relaxer this weekend.

Bumpity bump, can't wait to see your results!!

Back