Why do you ACV???

Lava27

I have some ACV finally and distilled water to mix it with, but I'm still a bit unclear on what the purpose is?

I've read that some use it to clarify, but it seems some use it to close their cuticles, sort of like a porosity treatment. Why do you use ACV? What does it do for your hair??

yep i did a acv+distilled water rinse for porosity(mine was too high i think). I think some use it only for clarify purposes. I think it does but without the squeaky clean feeling. It leaves the hair soooo soft:)

I have some ACV finally and distilled water to mix it with, but I'm still a bit unclear on what the purpose is?

I've read that some use it to clarify, but it seems some use it to close their cuticles, sort of like a porosity treatment. Why do you use ACV? What does it do for your hair??

It does both. Doesn't really clarify, but it does remove build up and balance your hair's natural pH level.

This is verrrry important part of my regimen...it smooths my hair down after it's roughed up from shampooing, and leaves it super soft and shiny. :lick:

I use it to clarify. I pour it out of the bottle and rub/squeeze it through my hair before I shampoo about every 5 weeks or so or when my hair feels like there is a lot of build up from products.

I use it to clarify too, but if I can use it for porosity control then I need to use it more often.....it made my hair so soft.....i use my ION clarify shampoo, condition, and then ACV rinse afterwards....and when my hair dries, it's so soft...but I might start using it once a week, or once everyother week.....HTH!

I use an acv rinse when I relax. Phytospecific is notoriously difficult to get to the white suds. A couple of years ago, Aracdian told me to use the acv rinse after the first shampoo - it works like a charm - white suds immediately thereafter. Another benefit is my hair experiences no dryness after relaxing because the pH is restored.

Last edited:
Wow...thanks for the responses ladies. So many ways to use...I'm gonna try it with my next wash before DCing and see how it goes!

i use it for my perosity issues.....and to get rid of con (coz i use con's with cones) so my scalp doesnt flake.....i do not do anything to my scalp hence the acv.

i mix 1/4 cup acv with 2 cups water....and pour after DCing......

some people say to rinse with cold water after and others say not to rinse.....i rinse with cold water....i'm going to try not rinsing and see what happens......

word of caution......i have used a less dilute concoction and it left my hair feeling really hard.....

I tried it for the first time last week. I co-washed my hair, but while the conditioner was still in my hair, I put some ACV on my scalp. Then I decided to just spray some throughout the rest of my hair. I rinsed, then DC'd. Boy, my hair was REALLY soft and a lot shinier than normal. Its a keeper. Since ACV helps close the cuticles, I think I may have closed in some extra conditioner into my hair or something because it was way softer than it normally is and the only thing I did differently was use the ACV on top of the conditioner...long story, short. ACV is a keeper. :)

I use it as to balance the ph of my hair after I was with baking soda. Low ph with baking soda than I use diluted acv which has a higher ph to bring my hair to a more 5 something ph. After this my hair is usually really soft because the cuticles are layed down smooth and easy to detangle.

One I add the acv I let it sit than rinse out. I than use conditioner, rinse and style.

It just makes my hair feel awesme. I try to do it every 2 weeks...which is when I use baking soda to wash.

i use ACV as a final rinse. I love the way my hair shines and detangles. I am not crazy about the smell. So i will definitely try it but make the conditioner the last step.

I just started doing ACV rinses a while ago. I can tell the difference.
I've also been mixing it with green tea instead of plain water.
My hair is less frizzy and alot softer

ACV rinses are definitely part of my regi...I keep a small bottle of ACV next to the tub :)

It cleans my hair when I don't really want to co-wash.
Adds shine/sheen
Helps detangle if my hair is loose
Begins the cuticle closing process b4 my final cold water rinse

...i'm not picky I use whatever brand is on sale.

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I just wanted to list some of the ways I've read ACV could be used:

1. Natural shampoo:I mix equal parts ACV with conditioner to create a cleanser that gets rid of excess oils and dirt without drying out my hair or scalp.
2. pH restorer: Hair is naturally a bit acidic so it is beneficial to do a mild vinegar (or citric acid) rinse after you wash.
3. Shine enhancer: ACV (and vinegars/citric acid altogether) forces the cuticle of the hair to lie flat, making your hair shinier and less prone to snarling and tangles.
4. Gets rid of dandruff: ACV has anti-microbial/anti-fungal properties and (ironically) also has a conditioning affect and is good for clearing up dandruff.
5. Water softener: ACV softens hard water by binding metals so they are too large to be absorbed by hair.
6. Hair softener: After I do a mild acv rinse (1 tablespoon per cup of water) my hair feels soft afterward.

Is there such a thing as using it too often? I've been using shampoo bars once a week and do this as a final rinse, and I really love it. It def. makes my hair softer and I can feel a difference after deep conditioning. But I don't want to over do it.

Is there such a thing as using it too often? I've been using shampoo bars once a week and do this as a final rinse, and I really love it. It def. makes my hair softer and I can feel a difference after deep conditioning. But I don't want to over do it.

It depends on the concentration. If used as a mild rinse (1-2 tablespoons per cup of water) it's safe to use everyday. But if used for clarifying or cleansing hair (like 50-50 water and acv) it could probably be drying (if your hair isn't oily or doesn't have a lot of buid up) and is probably best used once a week. Shampoo bars and soaps are naturally bases so it's good to follow up with mild vinegar/citric acid rinses to bring your hair back to balance.

P.S. Check out this website called chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com. They talk about ACV rinses there and they have helpful advice on how to use them :).

ACV stanks! I do lemon rinses instead.
I do remember, before I realized I was walking around a sub with vinegar added that my relaxed hair was nice and soft, it felt really nice. I dont know how to mask the smell and the only way I believe would be to completely rinse it out.

ACV stanks! I do lemon rinses instead.
I do remember, before I realized I was walking around a sub with vinegar added that my relaxed hair was nice and soft, it felt really nice. I dont know how to mask the smell and the only way I believe would be to completely rinse it out.

:lachen:...Yeah, I agree. It does have slight smell to it, even after it dries but I usually put in a good smelling conditioner (like AO Honeysuckle rose) and it masquerades the smell of the ACV. You could even use white vinegar (sounds like de ja vu, huh? lol). I tried it and it left my hair soft like both ACV and lemon juice did, but it has a less prominent smell.

Last edited:
Back