Whats you guys opinion on growing out layers??

tekmommie

I know it is a matter of opinion, I want to hear what you guys think.

In my opinion my hair is medium texture and the ends look thin, but not split, due to my layered flip I had last summer. I hate to look at my hair like this, but I want it to get long too.

I know I want to cut to one length, I'm wondering if I should just cut several inches now, or just keep nipping away. I was thinking of letting it get to bra strap then keeping it there til they were grown out. What do you guys think or have you done??

TIA

Hi Tekmommie... I am in the same position and I have to stop myself at least three times a week from calling the hairdresser. My shortest layer reaches the middle of my ear and the longest reaches my shoulders. I've finally decided that I am just going to just take my vitamins and let my hair grow until my next touch up which will be in January. (Last trim was about a month ago). It may not be the healthiest solution, but for a hair cut addict like me I think it will be the most effective. Ashley
antlers.gif

Hi Ashley,

I'm leaning towards letting it grow as well...I'm also scissor happy with my own hair, I love trying new styles/colors
smile.gif
Right now I'm frustrated because my hair is too long to be short and to short to be long, I'm also bored with it. Maybe if I try a Colorshine or something like that I will get past this.

Oh yeah, do your ends look thin because of it or do you have thick hair??

<font color="blue">Hey tekmommie!

Maybe I'm a little scissor happy lol...but I think you should cut it right away. Why? Because even though you say the ends just look thin....chances are thinning hair may...May be a result of split ends. Don't let wishful thinking delude you into thinking "It aint that bad!!" lol. Thin hair is never good. Cut if off! Lol. It might not be obvious right now but if left untreated they can travel up the hair shaft. You might not notice it right away but if you're trying to retain length then you need to let go of things that can hold it back. You'll feel much better for it, and your hair will look much better.

When I was relaxed my ends were long, but thin. It didn't look like split ends but whatever it was! I cut abt 3 inches and when it grew back in it was much thicker.

But do you! Take care. </font>

Kengne,

I think you misunderstood Tekmommie. She's saying that her hair looks thin because of the layers. It doesn't necesarily mean that her hair is thin. When your hair is cut into layers, it looks nice curled, but looks a little weird when worn straight because the longest layer, which is usually the back only has a section that is long, while the top looks longer because it has more strands to make it look thicker (does that make sense?)

I'm going through the same thing and my solution is to wait until I reach bra-strap and trim until the layers catch up with the rest.

Hi Tekmommie -

I know exactly what you are going through. I have also been growing out layers for what seems like forever. About 3 weeks ago I finally got rid of the last of them. Unfortunately for me to do that I had to cut about 4 inches off and now my hair is shoulder length. The good thing is that it will grow back.

The big thing is to make a decision and just stick with it, that way you will not delay your progress. I can't tell you how many times I've previously tried growing my layers out only to put them back in because my hair did not have a "style."

Kengne19, your so sweet. I could read the sincerity in your words "Don't let wishful thinking delude you into thinking "It aint that bad!!" lol.

Thank you, but I just wanted to let you know, I do know the difference from thin ends due to layers and thin ends that are split.
smile.gif
I do have healthy hair, I take very good care of it. Crysdon was right on with her post, its exactly what I was saying. I do want some layers as it makes my hair look fuller, but only if it is the very bottom. If I cut 2 inches my hair would be exactly like I want it (layer wise) BUT I would have to answer to my Big Daddy!!
spank.gif

Soooooooo...

I am in this position too. I've already cut my hair few times. Since i am pretty close to my goal i am just going to go ahead and keep going/growing and gradually trim the layers out. It is taking 4ever though. LOL

I vote for nipping away the ends every now and then. That way you won't be too shocked with the difference in length you would have if you just did a big chop. I an all for keeping healthy hair with nice ends.

My 2 cents.

I did several 'chunks'(plus I was cutting off relaxer). Then I kept trimming. I still have one layer....but it's coming off soon(next month hopefully). The problem is I will have to cut off 2 1/2 inches to get it all. But it is worth it to me. I will never get layers again!

I say that you let it grow and just gradually nip at it. That way, if you truly get tired of the nipping, then you'll know for sure you're ready for one big cut.
smile.gif
I"m living a layer nightmare myself, although I want to keep the ones I have, they just don't want to move anywhere as far as growing.
nono.gif

tekmommie I'm doing the nipping thing. I love my layers, but I have tooooo many of them so I'm letting the ones I don't want (the middle back area) grow on out. I've been nipping away about every 6-8 weeks now. I know I have awhile to reach my goal, but I refuse to make a big chop right now.

Is it not okay to just let the layers remain and grow on their own? I have layers, and have been doing just that. My hair looks fine that way. Is this unhealthy or something? I notice that the hair usually grows into a v patten in the back and some ladies like the effect of the V. To me thats the same as having layers.

I say leave them alone and they will eventually grow back... it's been 18 months since my last pixie cut and my hair still isn't even but i love it anyway...LOL.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it not okay to just let the layers remain and grow on their own? I have layers, and have been doing just that. My hair looks fine that way. Is this unhealthy or something? I notice that the hair usually grows into a v patten in the back and some ladies like the effect of the V. To me thats the same as having layers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair grows in a 'V' but that is how it grows naturally. I'm talking about layers that are 'cut' into the hair. I hate them because as they grow they thin out and get all 'wispy looking'. For me they are the first thing that frizzes(the thin ends) when it's humid. When my hair was all one length, I still got frizzies, but they were not all over the place...with ends the flipped up in all directions. It's much easier to keep one length trimmed also...without cutting alot of hair. Am I making sense?

I think I'm going to cut about an inch off and then keep nipping until only the very bottom is layered.

I don't mind the big cut, hey I'm all in favor of cutting my hair (I must admit I am having serious withdrawls)...I love new styles, which is part of why I always end up quitting the challenge. I get bored with my hair. This time I promised Biggie I wouldnt do any drastic cuts until after 9/04
smile.gif
When I said that I wasn't thinking about the layers, so if i cut off more than an inch, or cut too often he'll want to
spank.gif
rofl.gif

Sweetcocoa, I read ya hon! However, my layers aren't thin or wispy, so they remind me of someone whose hair grows naturally that way. I guess mine are considered long layers and they are kind of subtle. Mu hair does look thin at times, but I think that's cause I have thinner hair.

Melodee, the layers I had cut in were my problem(both times). I think that if it is your natural layers(the top layer is always shorter then the bottom unless you keep your hair at a certain length), then it's not as bad. If they are your natural layers then you probably just need a trim. I think hair is naturally thinner towards the ends than at the root.

[ QUOTE ]
Kengne19, your so sweet. I could read the sincerity in your words "Don't let wishful thinking delude you into thinking "It aint that bad!!" lol.

Thank you, but I just wanted to let you know, I do know the difference from thin ends due to layers and thin ends that are split.
smile.gif
I do have healthy hair, I take very good care of it. Crysdon was right on with her post, its exactly what I was saying. I do want some layers as it makes my hair look fuller, but only if it is the very bottom. If I cut 2 inches my hair would be exactly like I want it (layer wise) BUT I would have to answer to my Big Daddy!!
spank.gif

Soooooooo...

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Lol...I'm sorry. I can't help it: I'm a lil scissor happy lol.
nuts.gif
But I hear what you're saying now (I've never had layers so I didn't understand what u meant till Chrysdon explained it to me!
think.gif

Good luck! And thanx for being so nice about replying back. </font>

Back