What's some MOISTURE BASED products?

myhairgrowstoo

Just realized my protein overload and breaking hair is due to most my products, even those labled "for dry, thirsty hair" or "increases moisture retention" has silk proteins or are protein based except my Kinky Curly (I think). What are some products (curl smoothies, conditioners, shampoos, etc) that are ACTUALLY moisture based???

Scurl is really good if you are natural. I tried it on my relaxed hair and it made it too wet for me. But when I was natural it was the bomb! PCA moisture retention by Dudley's is the best product for moisture I have ever used on my relaxed hair. But it can be kinda wet too if you use too much. But if you can't decide, just use any of the products that people used to use back in the day on their jeri curls... All those are moisture based. Even their gels are mostly water just like the Scurl products.

Scurl is really good if you are natural. I tried it on my relaxed hair and it made it too wet for me. But when I was natural it was the bomb! PCA moisture retention by Dudley's is the best product for moisture I have ever used on my relaxed hair. But it can be kinda wet too if you use too much. But if you can't decide, just use any of the products that people used to use back in the day on their jeri curls... All those are moisture based. Even their gels are mostly water just like the Scurl products.

I only use Scurl on my new growth, otherwise, it is way too sticky for my relaxed hair and like you said it makes it too wet. I have also used Bel Nouvo (ETSY) Coco Hydrating Mist. It reminds me so much of Scurl, except it is natural.

I only use Scurl on my new growth, otherwise, it is way too sticky for my relaxed hair and like you said it makes it too wet. I have also used Bel Nouvo (ETSY) Coco Hydrating Mist. It reminds me so much of Scurl, except it is natural.

This intrigues me so. This is them: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BelNouvo?ref=exp_listing. They seem to be out of stock right now, but I think I'll be ordering from them when they restock.

Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia .
All products with high water content will deliver moisture.

Yes, I checked it out too and they didn't have the mist but I will keep checking.
S-curl works amazing, if I could find something that worked as well and was natural I would be in heaven!

Message him. He is really nice. I spray it on my new growth.

@Beamodel

Do you mind posting the ingredients for the Bel Nouvo Coco Hydrating Mist since it's not listed on the Esty page (out of stock)? Thanks :)

@myhairgrowstoo

I've been having a similar problem finding purely moisture based products. I find that curl activator gels work better than anything else, however I've found that a LOT of the activator gels actually have hydrolyzed protein in them, but not all. You really have to check the ingredients.

The first 2 ingredients in these types of products are water + glycerin (a humectant that draws moisture to your hair) and they may also add Panthenol/Pro Vitamin B5 (another humectant) - they usually contain little to NO oil so as to provide pure moisture to your hair, no sealing or coating and the moisture can often be re-activated using a light spritz of water or by baggying, expecially if you don't add any oil to your hair afterward.

Two brands that I have been experimenting with are: Worlds of Curls Activator Gel (both the Regular & Extra Dry formulas are protein-free) and S-Curl Wave Jel Activator (the Lite formula is protein-free). They also have water + glycerin based sprays, but again you have to check the ingredients for protein. Worlds of Curls (Regular formula is protein-free)

You do have to experiment to find how to best use them on YOUR hair (either on soaking wet, damp or dry hair) and may need to adjust how you apply depending on the weather (Humid vs. Dry). Some people have problems using them all year round and others don't have a problem.

I'm still learning but I hope this helps :spinning:

Last edited:
I use water, mixed with glycerin and a spritz of WEN orange oil; works wonders on my dry hair. I also like WEN 613 Replenishing Spray and their other sprays.

Neutragena Triple Silk Leave-in and daily moisturizer
Tresemme Naturals conditioner (the moisturizing one)
Suave Almond and Shea butter shampoo and conditioner
Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturizing conditioner (tan jar)
Mizani MoisturFusion conditioner
i don't think Aussie Moist has protein in it.

these things helped me through my protein overload. also for naturals, Qhemet Biologics and Oyin Handmade helped too. all of their products don't have a bunch of protein, cones, and glycerin in them.

NIN4eva I have no idea...how do you check? I use Roux PC, but I'm probably not using it right. I use it as a leave in: after I rinse out my conditioner with cold water I apply Roux PC and leave it on, then I add heat protectants when I blow dry and flat iron my hair every 2 weeks.

NIN4eva I have no idea...how do you check? I use Roux PC, but I'm probably not using it right. I use it as a leave in: after I rinse out my conditioner with cold water I apply Roux PC and leave it on, then I add heat protectants when I blow dry and flat iron my hair every 2 weeks.

why are you using that if you don't know your hair porosity?

i just used it for the first time ever because my hair cuticles were raised from being overprocessed. other than that, i wouldn't mess with the stuff. i have low porosity. all it does is close the cuticle. that is not a low porosity issue.

there are a few tests that you can do to determine your porosity level.

you can get a clean strand of hair and put it in a cup of water. if it floats after a few minutes, it is low porosity

if it sinks, it's high porosity

if it floats, and starts to slowly sink, it's normal.

you can also get your hair analyzed.

i can't handle a lot of protein, i can't handle a lot of heavy products, i have to wash more frequently than others to avoid buildup

i can't use products with a low ph. nothing acidic. that closes the cuticle. i don't do cold rinses.

i have to do things that incorporate or encourage moisture. i also have fine hair. fine hair tends to be low porous.

So I checked my hair care stash...I have Scurl "No Drip" Activator Moisturizer...its that what everyone was talking about? I just now used it to moisturize and Dabur Vatika Oil to seal...I switched just now from Dabur Amla Oil because the firt 3 ingredients isnt even Aml and I don't even now what Paraffinum Liquidum or Palm Glycerides is....

@Beamodel

Do you mind posting the ingredients for the Bel Nouvo Coco Hydrating Mist since it's not listed on the Esty page (out of stock)? Thanks :)

I am sorry, the correct name is Belnouvo Coco Castor Nectar
Ingredients: water infused with chamomile and nettle, coconut milk, vegetable glycerin, castor oil, coconut oil, BTMS, DL-pathenol, hydrolyzed wheat protein, silk protein, centrimonium chloride, willow bark extract, citric acid, optiphen, fragrance and inner beauty

Say hello to hydration and give your hair a touch of softness with our CoCo Castor Nectar! Our lightweight moisture packed mist is the perfect way to refresh styles, detangle washed hair, and soften up dry frizzy hair. It's not only perfect for curly/kinky hair, it's even better for finer hair textures that need nourishing moisture. Not your typical watered down moisture mist...

Use: Apply to wet or dry hair making sure to cover every strand. Style as desired. Great for refreshing curls and reviving braids or twists. For additional styles, pair this with our CoCo Castor Hair Pudding.

Key Ingredients:
Coconut Milk, Vegetable Glycerin, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Silk Protein

PARABEN FREE
SULFATE FREE
SHEA FREE
SILICONE FREE
MINERAL OIL FREE
PETROLEUM FREE
100% NATURAL

Komazacare Calfia Moisturizing Spray....The stuff is FREAKISHLY GOOD! It has a Ph of 4.5 so it seals the cuticle and gives the hair a "smooth" feeling. What I truly love about it is that its highly concentrated,so you can dilute this product and still reap amazing benefits spritzing with it. Typically what I do is pour about 1/4 of the Califia Spray into a spray bottle and fill it up the rest of the way with distilled water and BAM moisture for years :grin:.

@virtuenow......:yep: I def. agree

Last edited:
For moisture I like Curl Junkie Smoothing lotion, Darcy's Botanical Herbal Spray, and rosewater/glycerine spray. You can also just take your favorite conditioner put it in a spray bottle, add water and shake it up.

-Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In

-Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream

-Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion

So I checked my hair care stash...I have Scurl "No Drip" Activator Moisturizer...its that what everyone was talking about? I just now used it to moisturize and Dabur Vatika Oil to seal...I switched just now from Dabur Amla Oil because the firt 3 ingredients isnt even Aml and I don't even now what Paraffinum Liquidum or Palm Glycerides is....

Yep, that's the one! :grin:

myhairgrowstoo
I used to use S-curl back in the day when I had a perm and my hair grew like crazy, but I forgot about it after I went natural. I just picked up a bottle about a week and my hair feels amazing. I forgot how much I loved this stuff!

Back