What is the Best Remedy for Dry Itchy Scalp?

If you oil your scalp, what do you use?

• Hair Grease

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Natural Oils

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Something else (please tell below)

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cocoeuro

I used to grease my hair back in the days but I read somewhere that it could clog the pores and could damage the follicles!! What do you do for dry scalp? Especially during the Winter!

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with an oatmeal remedy I came across on the internet. I was looking for a natural remedy 'cause as soon as autumn hit, my scalp started freaking out!

Here is the recipe for the Oatmeal scalp mask:

Steep 1/2 c. oatmeal in 2 c. boiling water for 20 minutes, stiring occassionally. Strain the liquid with metal sieve or cheese cloth. Then add 10 drops each of lavendar, rosemary and tea tree oil. Apply to scalp and let sit for 20 min. then rinse.

It works instantly and it's very soothing! I couldn't believe it. I use it as needed. After the first use, I found I needed to do another treatment 2 weeks later and then after the second treatment, I haven't had to use it again and it's been about a month since the last. HTH.

Put a tablespoon of flax seed oil on your salad or in a smoothie daily if you are not producing enough natural oils.

Of course, if the weather is brutal protecting your skin from the elements becomes more important than the damage over exposure could cause. Think of it this way my skin breathes best when I wear less, but I protect my skin from damage by wearing the appropriate clothing. Petroleum jelly aka grease makes a pretty good skin protectant.

Don't use oil on my scalp because it makes it itch. Drinking water helps, but washing excess product and build-up out of my hair helps keep the itches away.. If my scalp itches excessively ( normally in the winter) then I wash my hair and mix up some aloe vera gel with honey. About 4 tablespoons each. Put this mixture on your scalp and hair, it's a great conditioner.. repeat this as many times as it takes to relieve the itches.

Spraying slightly diluted apple cidar vinegar on to the scalp hands down, has helped me keep dandruff, dry scalp, and itchiness at bay. Whenever I stop using it, all of 3 of these things seem to slowly come back.

I use sulfates on my scalp only 1-2x a month...this type of shampoo causes itchies. Cowashing with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle also keeps my scalp happy. (I use natural products = very little if any buildup = not having to use shampoo)

Relaxed 4b here.

I find that a combination of a clean scalp and a base of natural oils helps.

I also use head and shoulders shampoo and conditioner once a month to combat dryness and dandruff.

I oil my scalp only when I use MTG. I mix about 10 drops of peppermint eo and 25 drops of lavender eo. I apply it like hair grease. I don't smell like burnt bacon and my scalp doesn't itch. I works and I have a good reason to use the MTG now. MTG's purpose is to control the itchies on my scalp.

The only thing that cures my flaky scalp is washing more often. After 4 days the flakes start coming. I also like to massage my scalp with oil before washing.

Washing and deep conditioning more often. If you still have a dry scalp, up your water intake and massage your scalp with a light oil.

I changed my shampoo. Sulfates dry my scalp out and result in the itchies.

Keracare has a great itchy scalp shampoo.

bowdown.gif
to the grease.

:lol: @ me being the only one voting for it.

Last edited:
I think what cured my itchy dry scalp was sulfate free shampoos and pre poo or hot oil treatments with coconut oil.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

I have to say the GHE method has been working for me. I can't pull up the topic, because I'm using my phone to send this message. If you have enough time I say check it out. It really help a dry scalp. Also, I think castor oil works well too. It a very very thick oil. Wonderful for the winter time. This stuff doesn't easily dry out your hair or scalp. Plus, using less harsh sulfate shampoo and maybe co-washing may help.

Last edited:
If grease worked for you back in the day that it wouldn;t hurt to revisit it.

Personally I use natural oils like coconut,EVOO, & a whole bunch of others to oil my scalp as needed. Nothing beats INTERNAL hydration to combat a dry scalp though.

Try washing twice a week (a co-wash and a regular wash). You can also add neem oil to your DC or a drop or two of any EO that's antifungal and antibacterial. This has helped my scalp tremendously. These are the ones I currently use, I do not use all these EOs at once, my choice is base off how I am feeling on hair day :lol::lol: Information below was taken from Mountain Rose Herbs, that’s where I purchase all my essential oils and carrier oils.

Cedarwood, Atlas: Antifungal, antiputrefactive, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, astringent, diuretic, expectorant, insecticide, regeative, deodorant, digestive, emmenagogue, euphoric, nervine, sedative, stomachic, vulnerary

Ginger Properties: Analgesic, antibacterial, anticoagulant, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aperitive, aphrodisiac, astringent, carminative, cephalic, cholagogue, diaphoretic, digestive, diuretic, expectorant, febrifuge, laxative, rubefacient, stimulant, stomachic, tonic, vasodilator

Lemon Properties: Antibacterial, antidepressant, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antirheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, carminative, digestive, diuretic, hepatic, hypotensive, laxative, sedative, vermifuge

Sweet Orange Properties: Anticoagulant, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, bactericidal, carminative, cholagogue, digestive, diuretic, expectorant, fungicidal, hypotensive, stimulant, stomachic, tonic

Peppermint Properties: Analgesic, anesthetic (topical), antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, carminative, cholagogue, cordial, digestive, emmenagogue, expectorant, febrifuge, insecticide, nervine, sedative, stimulant, stomachic, vasoconstrictor, vermifuge

Red Thyme Properties: Analgesic, anthelminthic, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antioxidant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, bactericidal, carminative, cell proliferant, deodorant, diuretic, emmenagogue, expectorant, insecticide, parasiticide, rubefacient, stimulant, tonic, vermifuge

Ylang Ylang Properties: Antibacterial, antidepressant, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, cell proliferant, disinfectant, expectorant, nervine, sedative, vulnerary

Tea Tree Properties: Analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiparasitic, antiseptic, antiviral, decongestant, deodorant, diaphoretic, expectorant, fungicidal, immune stimulant, insecticide, vulnerary

Please note that essential oils should never be used undiluted, and should only be use internally with the help of a licensed aromatherapy practitioner. Do not use if Pregnant and please research usage if you have any health issues. (had to add my disclaimer :grin::grin:)

I would have to agree with the other ladies. Tea Tree Oil and washing regularly helps. Just make sure you don't use any harsh shampoos. In fact you might want to consider co-washing.

AVJ is the only thing that helps me and I have a itchy scalp from hell!!!!

I just squeeze it on my scalp about 20 min before washing and then us my mud wash. After I spray my hair with AVJ and make sure to get a bit on my scalp. Works like a charm.

Back