What is the best moisturizing natural oil?

Would like to do a Meeting For the Atlanta Area

• Total voters
EVOO- moisture and slip. I like way better than coconut because my hair would soak up the coconut and get dull, heavy, and lifeless. With evoo my hair has more moisture and more swang too!

Coconut oil by itself moisturizes. There is a recent thread about how it actually penetrates the cortex of the hair and whatnot.

I voted coconut but I am also partial to emu oil.

Oils do not moisturize (they have no water). However, many of them do have other benefits. Coconut, olive, and avocado oils do penetrate the strand and nourish it from the inside. They also can provide softness, shine, and slip. But, they don't moisturize in the true sense of the word.

I'm partial to castor oil because it helps stop the water from evaporating from my hair too quickly. Coconut oil is a great leave in conditioner (or overnight treatment). And olive oil is amazing for detangling.

Oils do not moisturize (they have no water). However, many of them do have other benefits. Coconut, olive, and avocado oils do penetrate the strand and nourish it from the inside. They also can provide softness, shine, and slip. But, they don't moisturize in the true sense of the word.

I used to think that way when I first joined LHCF. But after all I've read and researched I am of the opinion that coconut oil actually moisturizes by itself. Its just my opinion (and the opinion of the other posters and writers that have written about it). I couldn't begin to retrace my steps to show you what I mean. But the info is out there.

the runner up is: Jojoba (ho-ho-ba) oil...I mix them together since one seals moisture and the other penetrates moisture...

I used to think that way when I first joined LHCF. But after all I've read and researched I am of the opinion that coconut oil actually moisturizes by itself. Its just my opinion (and the opinion of the other posters and writers that have written about it). I couldn't begin to retrace my steps to show you what I mean. But the info is out there.

I know exactly what you mean...believe me I spent months searching it out because I coconut oil really does do wonders on my hair...I'm just saying using the word "moisturize" is not wrong, but inaccurate, because nothing can truly moisturize except water. Oil has no water so it can't "moisturize" in the technical sense of the word.

But, as a lover of coconut oil, I know it does more than just seal. "Conditions" or "nourishes" are just more accurate descriptions. I hope that makes sense. I know the lay term is moisturize, but every time I see it I try to point it out so that newbie's don't get confused.

I really am enjoying my coconut oil right now. I also have my natural oil hot prepoo mix which has EVOO, Amla, Coconut, Grapeseed, Castor & Coconut it gets a bet messy but my hair loves it. I want to try a few of the others mentioned like Avacodo (sp?) and Palm.

I'm taking suggestions on new oils.

I'm loving my Avocado oil right now. I bought some EVAO at Super Target (can you believe?) and it's wonderful. I mix a little of it with my leave-in conditioner and it makes my hair look super shiny and feels moisturized. And it was cheap compared to online prices.

Vatika, Coconut mixed with Shea, Olive.

Marula and Baobab are very moisturizing for my skin. Haven't tried them on my hair yet. (Pricey)

I love emu oil.... very moisturizing and can also be used on your face because it is noncomedogenic (doesn't clog pores). :yep:

I like to use castor oil and coconut oil when I am stretching my relaxer past weeks, And anytime before then I will use almond or jasmine oil.

Well I've had my hair flatironed for 3 days now and since I can't use water I've been using Sweet Almond oil and Vatika oil to moisturize my hair. My hair feels and looks great. Today I'm going to use a combination of oils as a pre-poo hot oil treatment using Coconut oil, Sweet Almond oil and Castor oil. I wish I had some Olive oil to add to this mix.

The best moisturizing oils for hair that has been temporarily straightened are the thin watery oils. I find that when my hair is in it's natural state the thicker oils like Castor oil keeps my hair supple and delicious. :lick:

I chose Castor Oil. But, I also like Jojoba Oil. Only other oils I've tried is Coconut and EVOO. They both dried my hair out really bad. Coconut was absolutely horrible for my hair. But, mixed with my unrefined organic shea butter it's great for my body!!

My hair is in love with macadamia oil. It has softened my hair like no other oil, it makes castor oil only rank a 7 or 8 out of 10 compared to the results I get from it.

Back