What happened to my Weave?!

prettypithy

I have only ever had one weave. For my wedding. It was fabulous in the days leading up to the wedding and for a few days after.:woot:

I asked the stylist if I could swim with the weave before she installed it.
She told me no problem.:ohwell:
But on my honeymoon, in Italy, I went in the water ONE time.
The weave shrunk up to my head, tangled, matted and locked. No amount of conditioner or detangling would loosen the death grip as the weave hair wrapped around itself.:whip:
Luckily, my hair remained intact underneath (it was a sew-in).
Now, I'm thinking about getting a weave but I am terrified because I swim often for fitness (in pools)
It was Remy hair, if I recall.
What happened to my weave?! The stylist was horrified--she'd never seen anything like it.:perplexed
I had washed it prior to my vacation with normal shower water and it dried just fine.
When I went swimming in Italy, it was in the Mediterranean Sea so I've been blaming the high salt content this whole time.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? If so, what was the cause? I'm not getting another weave until I know for sure what happened!:nono:

I used to swim with a weave weekly for about 2 years. Never had a problem. I'd put it up in 1 pony holder prior to putting on my swim cap then wash it as soon as I came out of the pool. Not sure why that happened to you.

It happened to me also in the Bahamas. I had Remy also. I think the human hair is not 100% and may have fillers. Not sure.

i doubt it s the sea as i ve been to Italy numerous times on holiday (my fav place !),and this has never happened to me ,i think it s most probably the quality of the hair ,if it was 100% human hair you would ve been able to "rescue" it ,think about it , someone with naturally straight silky hair wouldnt end up with matted ,locked after a swim !

OP did you put it in a ponytail or plaits when you went in?

I put it in a ponytail I believe. Sounds like the quality of the hair was the main issue. I was a weave newbie so I got the kind the stylist recommended...it wasn't cheap though. I paid about $400 for two packs...

Oh my goodness, $400 for hair that cant be reused. It def was the hair, seems like it was a cuticle issue. I wash my homemade wiga once or twice a week with no problems and most I had over a year.if I were you I would do my own reasearch on quality hair and dont go by your stylist recommendations. The most I paid for some hair was $200 and I still wear the same hair 2.5 yrs later. you could have got some extensions plus for that amount and it will last you years.

Back