What hair types like what?

dany06

I really love doing hair. I want to experiment and get practice by doing my family member's hair. The issue that I am having is that I cant use my products on their hair and get my results. I have to search through all of the products stashed under my sink(from product junkie days) to find something that will work. The same is true when they borrow my stuff and wind up using the whole bottle in an attempt to make it work. There is definitely not a problem with the techniques being implemented. This is stricktly a product issue. This is also the reason why i stopped going to stylist. What they typically use gives everyone else shine and bounce except for me. I get better result doing my own hair in most cases.

I would think that fine hair likes light products and coarse hair likes heavy products, but that's not the case with my family. Also products that make my hair shine wont do the same for them. So what are some of the general rules for choosing products for different hair types and textures?

Also what products would you recommend to use as leave-ins, stylers and such for these different hair types?

My mom: relaxed. very fine strands. feels like baby hair. Soft and silky. Medium density. new growith looks 3c. hair has tendency to swell. has natural shine/sheen. likes ORS olive oil lotion. not easily weighed down. can use setting lotion for rollersets and have ultra shiny hair

My cousin: relaxed. very coarse strands. hair feels like horse mane. thick density. thick strands that feel slick. newgrowth 4b front perimeter 3c everywhere else. Likes Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk

my aunt (not mother of cousin): relaxed. coarse strands. wirey feel. thick density. Can feel soft but never gets silky. newgrowth 4a/4b. sometimes lacks shine

In comparison to theirs mine is:texlaxed/ transitioning to natural. fine to medium strands. looks totally compact when natural, but medium density when straight. 4a/4b texture. feels more soft than silky. Likes very light products. has shine only when using light products. Easily weighed down. hates setting lotion, ORS replenish packs, and most creamy leave-ins

I honestly don't think there's any formula that determines what products agree with a certain type. There are many 4Bs both fine and coarse who love Shea butter, for example, but I don't. Many 4Bs who do well with CON shampoo, but I don't. Most of us learn by trial and error just like you have learned on your own hair.

Thats what I figured, but I just wanted to know if there was some rule of thumb to get me going towards the right direction. I have found some things that work for their hair but we are interested in trying other stuff. They nor I am sure what else to try. I refuse to go through another product junkie episode though.

You will probably have to go out and buy products if you want to experiment with different things. That doesn't mean being a pj, you can start off small with 1 or 2 products and use them up and if you don't like them go on to the next few. You can also try mixing things that you already have like adding oil to a conditioner or leave in. Also pinpoint the products you are looking for, are you looking for everything like shampoo, con ect or just a moisturizer or leave in. When you know what you are looking for it will make it a bit easier. Hth

I don't think one size fits all when it comes to hair typing. Porosity and overall condition of the hair can make a difference in how a product works on the hair.

I think it's a general rule that coarser hair needs heavier products and finer hair needs lighter products but beyond that it really is a test of trial and error. And there are always many exceptions to the rule.

Back