What do you do After a hard workout for your hair?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
I have put myself on a rigid workout plan to lose at least 20 pounds before the end of the summer. I will be attending the gym 5 days a week for 2hrs a day. Most of the time will be spent on the ellipticals and like 20 min for ab work and miscellaneous muscle work all over the body.

I realized that I I just relaxed my hair a week ago and that the sweat will have some effect on my newly silkened strands. I know that I will need to do CO washes after all of my workouts but is there anything special that you ladies do to your hair prior or after a hard workout session?:D

What products do you use for your Co washes? (special kind for exercizing??)

How do you keep you hair manageable for styling? (After Co washes my hair is wavy and not straight ....i dont like that....only heat cant straighten my strands but i dont like to use heat often)

Any Suggestions?

Radianthealth

I workout everyday for 1-2 hours per day. I slather conditioner on my dry hair before working out and place a shower cap on top. If you are going to the gym you can place a nice looking headwrap over the shower cap so that you won't look Cray Zay:nuts:

I work out for 1-2 hours and then I shower and rinse my hair. I do this conditioning wash on a daily basis.

I wash my hair 2 times a week one of those times I use a clarifying shampoo. I use a medium/heavy protien deep conditioner once per week.

I wear protective styles so after I rinse the conditioner I apply a mixture of WGHO, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Sulfur Powder to the scalp. I apply S-Curl and/or Jamaican Mango & Lime Leave in to the hair then place it into an ouchless band. I seal the hair ends with a heavy cream or shea butter and place in a bun on under a phony pony. All of the hair under the phony pony is covered/wrapped in satin. I use VO5 Strawberries and Cream conditioner with Castor Oil and Honey for my daily conditioner washes. This was recommended because it doesn't have many cones and it is a light protien. I love the HONEY which I didn't expect to be beneficial but it smells lovely and seems to add a bit of shine.

I have 4B hair and the daily conditioning washes have been very good. I have been doing them for a month and have had minimal shedding and the little new growth that I do have has been very manageable. I will see how this works for another 2 months and if it works as well as I hope... this should be an easy way to transition to natural when I decide to do so.

Sascha

Stay at home Mommy
I workout everyday but sunday. I don't do anything special to my hair but I make sure to wash my hair at least once a week. My hair hasn't had any ill effects.

MarieC

I work out 3-4 times/wk and I've been doing CWs after every workout. Afterwards I braid my hair and wear a braidout or bun until the next workout. I'm tired of this myself and I am also looking for alternatives. I'm 12 weeks post relaxer right now so it would do me no good to blow dry or flat iron after washing because I sweat a lot during my workouts.

Oh BTW, I use DDTA for cw and Jasons Sea Kelp for DC.I also clarify every 2 weeks.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
trimbride said:
I workout everyday for 1-2 hours per day. I slather conditioner on my dry hair before working out and place a shower cap on top. If you are going to the gym you can place a nice looking headwrap over the shower cap so that you won't look Cray Zay:nuts:

I work out for 1-2 hours and then I shower and rinse my hair. I do this conditioning wash on a daily basis.

I wash my hair 2 times a week one of those times I use a clarifying shampoo. I use a medium/heavy protien deep conditioner once per week.

I wear protective styles so after I rinse the conditioner I apply a mixture of WGHO, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Sulfur Powder to the scalp. I apply S-Curl and/or Jamaican Mango & Lime Leave in to the hair then place it into an ouchless band. I seal the hair ends with a heavy cream or shea butter and place in a bun on under a phony pony. All of the hair under the phony pony is covered/wrapped in satin. I use VO5 Strawberries and Cream conditioner with Castor Oil and Honey for my daily conditioner washes. This was recommended because it doesn't have many cones and it is a light protien. I love the HONEY which I didn't expect to be beneficial but it smells lovely and seems to add a bit of shine.

I have 4B hair and the daily conditioning washes have been very good. I have been doing them for a month and have had minimal shedding and the little new growth that I do have has been very manageable. I will see how this works for another 2 months and if it works as well as I hope... this should be an easy way to transition to natural when I decide to do so.

Thank you for your reply! I thought about doing the head wrap thing but I dont think i'll feel comfortable in that at the gym. I usually just put my hair into a ponytail and pin the ends so they wont be touching my neck or anything. When I get home I CW and then add Aloe Vera Oil and Fantasia Anti Frizz serum to my damp hair and airdry. My main concern in making sure that my hair isnt breaking or shedding from the salt/sebum from my scalp when sweating. On the downside I just got a relaxer so....i have that to worry about that too. I made good progress from my last 12 week stretch and would like to keep that growth comin!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
MarieC said:
I work out 3-4 times/wk and I've been doing CWs after every workout. Afterwards I braid my hair and wear a braidout or bun until the next workout. I'm tired of this myself and I am also looking for alternatives. I'm 12 weeks post relaxer right now so it would do me no good to blow dry or flat iron after washing because I sweat a lot during my workouts.

Oh BTW, I use DDTA for cw and Jasons Sea Kelp for DC.I also clarify every 2 weeks.

Hey Miss MarieC!

LoL I use DDTA (Tropical Aloe) but have both or Suave Milk n Honey for my CWs too. The last time I worked out I tried something new. I french braided my hair and pinned the length of the braid into a cinnimon twist to my head....That actually worked pretty well and I feel that ponytails are taking a stress to y strands. Just another alternative if you want to try it! I really do feel ya on the 12 weeks post and that flat ironing or blowdrying doesnt help. Those naps are fierce!:D :lol:

lexi84

I work out pretty often(3-4 times per week) and I all I do is ponytail my hair while I work out and afterward I rinse it with water, apply conditioner, let it sit while I wash the rest of my body, and rinse it out. Thats it. No complicated stuff, just plain and simple. Of course after the shower I apply my leave-ins and moisturizers. I shampoo maybe two or three times per week and thats when I deep condition and clarify every two weeks or so.:)

cafe1

lexi84 said:
I work out pretty often(3-4 times per week) and I all I do is ponytail my hair while I work out and afterward I rinse it with water, apply conditioner, let it sit while I wash the rest of my body, and rinse it out. Thats it. No complicated stuff, just plain and simple.

Same here.. After workouts I wash, or CW or just rinse but I do get my hair under the water in some form or fashion.. (Im strictly wash and go for the summer!) Same for being in the pool too! Right now Im using Herbal Essences or VO5 Passion Fruit Smoothie (cheap but I go through a lot!) but I am going to switch to Giovanni eventually. My scalp feels so much better doing this after a sweaty wrkout!