What do you all think of this?

Dionne

I have been doing research on using essential oils in hot oil treatments and one of my problems using plain olive oil is that it is hard for me to apply it evenly on dry hair. I end up using lots of it and I think that using too much oil is just as bad as not enough. So anyway I had the idea of misting the hair before I apply oil with rose water or another hydrosol. Then apply the oil and a sweet almond and olive combo sound good to me. The essential oils I was going to use were Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Rosewood, Frankincense and Sandalwood. These oils are known to be great for dry and damaged hair. What do you all think. What other carrier oils can I use that are not too heavy but not as light as jojoba oil either. I was also thinking of adding evening primrose oil and or carrot oil too.

I also found this on Hairboutique

A custom recipe was blended for my hair that included the
following ingredients:

1 organic ripened banana
2 tablespoons plain organic yogurt
2 teaspoons organic wheat germ oil
1/4th teaspoon of lecithin
1/8th teaspoon of organic honey
2 teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk
2-4 drops of ylang ylang essential oil

The ylang ylang essential is used to give a special
relaxing and soothing effect. Not only does this
magnificent oil calm emotions and soothe raw nerves, it is
famous as a softening agent for the hair and scalp.

Yeah, I've done extensive research on hot oils. My hair doesn't like them. I don't like how oily my hair feels, I don't like how Olive Oil hardens my hair and the after feeling of my hair.

I choose to stay away from them, I'll stick with a protein/moisturizing conditioner.

Here's some information regarding different carrier oils:
Almond oil
has many advantages as a base oil and is probably a good one to keep as a stock item in your store. It is relatively inexpensive, bland and quite safe to use on most people. It is also, if cold-pressed, high in nutrients. Be cautious, however, about using almond oil on anyone with a known nut allergy, as a few unlucky sufferers will suffer a reaction to any nut oil on their skin. Warning: Always make sure that the subject is not allergic to nuts.

Apricot kernel oil
is particularly light, which makes it suitable for use on the skin of the face. It has no detectable smell. It is, however, quite expensive.

Avocado oil
is easily absorbed into the deep tissues and is therefore excellent for mature skin. It can help to relieve the dryness and itching of psoriasis and eczema. Although this oil blends well with others, it has a distinctive fruity smell, so choose essential oils with complementary fragrances.

Borage oil is one of the richest sources of GLA. It is useful for the relief of eczema and psoriasis, as well as for the symptoms of PMS.

Carrot oil is a valuable source of beta carotene, and is useful for healing scar tissue and soothing acne and irritated skin.

Coconut oil is particularly well suited to hair and scalp treatment. It imparts a lovely sheen to the hair. It is also very soothing and nourishing on dry skin.

Evening primrose oil is a rich source of GLA and is useful for the relief of eczema, psoriasis, dry skin, PMS, and tender breasts. It is also suitable for face treatments, but as it is quite a sticky oil it should be mixed with a lighter oil, such as grapeseed, soya, peanut, or peachnut, for this purpose.

Grapeseed oil is non-greasy and suits all skin types. It is most readily available in a refined state, so it is best to mix it with almond oil to enrich the blend.

Hazelnut oil has unusual astringent qualities that are particularly valuable for oily and combination skins.

Jojoba oil is good for all skin types and penetrates more easily than other oils. Because it is rich in vitamin E it is excellent for massaging faces with sensitive or oily complexions. It also contains antibacterial properties, making it a useful oil for the treatment of acne.

Olive oil is too sticky for massage, but makes an excellent addition to a blend for mature or dry skin. Olive oil is suitable for use in the treatment of scalp conditions and dry skin. It does, however, have quite a distinctive color and odor of its own, which not everyone will appreciate, and it is quite heavy. Some people will find it preferable to use olive oil in combination with another, lighter base oil. Disregard the cheaper varieties of olive oil. Opt for cold-pressed virgin oil; the quality justifies the expense. As with all other oils, if you can find an organic option, it is an added bonus.

Peach-kernel oil
Very similar to apricot kernel oil in weight and appearance, peach kernel oil is also equally good for facial use.

Peachnut oil is a fine oil rich in vitamin E and is good for delicate skin. It encourages elasticity and suppleness, and is particularly suitable for face massage.

Peanut oil is highly nutritious in its unrefined state, but this is rarely available. In its refined form it makes a good carrier oil for massage purposes, but it is best to enrich it with a more nutritious oil if you want it to be more than just a slippage medium. Warning: Always make sure that the subject is not allergic to nuts

Safflower oil has a light texture and penetrates the skin well. It is cheap and readily available in an unrefined state, making it a useful oil base for a blend.

Sesame oil made from un-toasted seeds is good for skin conditions. It has sun screening properties and is used in many suncare preparations. Use commercial preparations with a stated SPF number except in an emergency.

Sunflower oil is a light oil rich in vitamins and minerals. It can be enriched by the addition of more exotic oils. Sunflower oil contains vitamins A, B, D and E and is a cheaper option than some for use as a base oil. Be careful to look for cold-pressed sunflower oil, rather than picking up any old bottle of cooking oil from the supermarket. If it is organically produced, so much the better

Walnut oil contains small amounts of GLA and has a pleasant, nutty aroma.

Wheat germ oil is rich in vitamin E and is useful for dry and mature skin. It is well known for its ability to heal scar tissue, smooth stretch marks, and soothe burns. As it is too sticky to use on its own as a massage oil, add small amounts of it to a lighter oil. This oil should not be used on people with wheat intolerance. Wheatgerm oil is thick, rich and golden, and it is particularly rich in vitamin E - even more so then avocado oil. The vitamin E content helps to preserve the essential oils that are added to it. It is best used in dilution with another base oil, in a proportion of one to ten, as it is heavy and viscous. Warning: Use with care on those who are sensitive to or allergic to wheat - test on a small patch of skin and wait for twenty-four hours to check for any possible adverse reaction.

Shea Butter - we all know about this
Coconut Oil
Calendula and Macadamia

I put in another post that my aromatherapy book recced that you add evening primrose to a hot oil treatment....I definitely plan to experiment.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

No problem. If you need any information regarding any essential oil and carrier oils, give me a buzz /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dionne and AmilLion,
Thanks for the info. /images/graemlins/smile.gif With winter in full swing, I have to work harder at keeping my hair moisturized. It's so cold and I'm already experiencing excess shedding. It happens every winter.

Dionne,

I use a spray bottle with distilled water, tea tree and rosemary oil to wet my hair before applying hot oil (sometimes I add a little powdered msm). I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil as my hot oil. I absolutely adore the results I get with this. I have done hot oil treatments on dry hair and had mediocre results. The best results will come when the hair is already wet. My rule of thumb is water for moisture, oil to seal it in.

Also, there is a huge difference between extra virgin olive oil and plain ole olive oil.
I don't want to sway you from doing your research on the essential oils, I just thought maybe you would want to try a hot oil treatment on wet hair with evoo before you went to the expense of buying all of those others. If you do get those other essential oils let us know how they work for you.
I am such a pj that I have to find ways not to buy new things until I absolutely need them which means that I have to find ways to improve my existing products. This has really helped me in terms of simplifying my regimen though, so even though I don't allow myself to buy new things every month, I still get great results.

Back