Questions for naturals who were relaxed at some point

danimani

Did you natural texture surprise you? I seriously don't remember what my natural texture is, and I'm not far enough in my transition to determine that yet.

I was wondering if you had one thought in mind about your natural texture and come to find out, it was completely different in the end?

And for those who had a longer transition before BC or didn't BC, how many months along in your transition were you really able to get a feel for your hair type and texture?

danimani said:
Did you natural texture surprise you? I seriously don't remember what my natural texture is, and I'm not far enough in my transition to determine that yet.

I was wondering if you had one thought in mind about your natural texture and come to find out, it was completely different in the end?

And for those who had a longer transition before BC or didn't BC, how many months along in your transition were you really able to get a feel for your hair type and texture?

Yes and no and yes.... I knew my natural hair did not resemble that of my relaxed hair. What I was most unsure about were the options of how to wear this natural hair: blow-outs/press and curls, braids/twists, or naturally curly (whatever this meant). I am learning that all these options are accessible to me.

I am presently in my 10th month of transition. I thought/planned to go at least 18 months.... But that dream faded when, once I decided I was going to transition, cut off quite a few inches, so I'm much closer to my BC than I ever thought I would be and I'm even more excited (anxious) about seeing my natural hair and getting to know it.

I see I'm a textbook 4a.... I see the curls/coils there without much effort.... My most important goal besides hair health is hair length....

HTH.

I was totally surprised. My plans and my whole mind set were geared for someting different.

I transitioned for 14 months, but I never really trusted what I saw because it just seemed to me when I cut off the relaxed ends, the look of my new growth would change. I think it's hard to know your real texture until all the relaxer is gone.

The only thing that has surprised me about my natural hair is that it actually retains its texture all the way to the ends. Before I relaxed my hair, my hair would be wavy at the roots but straight in the center to the ends. I hated this. It was due to daily combing and brushing. Now since I am natural again and only comb my hair when I wash it, my hair is curly/wavy from the roota to the toota!
I transitioned for a year and 4 months so I was sure able to see/feel my hair by then.

I was not surpirised by my natural hair. I got a relaxer in my teen years. I knew as a child my mother had a real problem caring for my hair. I already knew what my hair texture was like. I really had to educate myself on taking care of it.

danimani said:

I was relaxed since I was twelve and was always pressed before that, so I didn't remember my texture at all, so my texture was a total surprise--I didn't know what to expect (and hadn't really thought about what it might be).

I started really seeing my actual texture about six months into my transition (you can see it in my transitioning album). But I couldn't really see how thick/thin my hair was until after I did the BC.

danimani said:

I was somewhat surpised. At first, I thought it was going to be naturally straight, kinky, with no curl pattern... come to find out, my hair is extremely coily, spirally, springy along with some kinks!

I didn't have a long transition... only 7.25 months.

I was suprised by how easy it was to take care of. I was expecting to slave over my hair and have comb-out headaches. I was also surprised to see how thick my hair is. When I had a relaxer, my junk was thin as heck; see-through and everything. Now my hair breaks ponytail holders.

I don't remember my hair being like this when I was younger. I was surprised about how the back of my hair looked cause I couldn't tell by looking at the new growth. But the top and front of my hair I knew what it wasn't gonna look like cause i stretched my relaxers every three months. But I didn't know what it looked like until I started stretching.

I was surprised because I thought my hair was way nappier than it actually is. It took me about 3 years to really see my texture since I didn't BC.

Before I start let me say Im NOT natural YET but Ive been transitioing for a year and some change. The back of my head is 85% natural so I can see my texture now. And yes it did/does suprise me. I thought I would have some Angela Davis type action going on but its NOT happening *sigh* When I was in between relaxers I could feel waves and sometimes my newgrowth got long enough to wrap around my fingers but I never put 2 and 2 together... :nono:

danimani said:
My texture was a complete surprise to me.

danimani said:
I used to sit with Dark n Lovely Super on my head for about 40 minutes and my hair still never got bone straight. So when I decided to go natural, I figured my natural hair was going to look like some mutant strain of wirey troll hair.

danimani said:
I began my transition in Feb, but it wasn't until September that I was actually able to identify my hair type.
http://public.fotki.com/Pillar/2006/september/coils_yay_6.html

Yes, I was surprised. I didn't get my first relaxer until I was 13, but before then, my hair was always combed out or pressed.

I thought my hair was a lot kinkier than it truly is because of how hard it was to comb when I "needed" a relaxer. It wasn't until I was about 4-5 in with about 4 inches of new growth that I didn't try to straighten in about the same amount of time, that I saw that my hair was less kinky and more coily and just as fine textured as I thought was.

No, I would relax my hair like 2 or 3 time a year so I have always known how my natural hair would be. I have very soft hair thats why it was easy for me to go so long without relaxing the new growth.

I hadnt given much thought to the texture, so I accepted it as it came. And it actually changed as some of the heat damage grew out. What did suprise me was that I had 3 different textures. The nape is very fine, the crown coarse, and the rest in-between.

I was somewhat surprised, but I transitioned for about 14months so I had enough new growth to know the goings on :) . My hair still looks and behaves differently than I expected...but I'm cool with it.

I was happily surprised by my natural texture. I am still learning about what works and doesn't work. I sure wish I could leave color though. :lachen:

Yes, i was surprised
I didn't remember my childhood hair
(in my childhood pics, my hair was always in many ponytails or braided)

When I was relaxed, my new growth would always feel so dry & would tangle
I just knew that was what I had to look forward to... dry, tangled, unmanageable natural hair.

I was really surprised to see that was NOT the case.
(well, lemme say this... my natural hair will still dry, tangle & become unmanageable, however, NOW I know the proper techniques and products to use to fix those issues...)

I'm glad I stuck to my journey... cause my new growth during my relaxed days was very deceiving

Last edited:
Peachtree said:
Yes, i was surprised
I didn't remember my childhood hair
(in my childhood pics, my hair was always in many ponytails or braided)

When I was relaxed, my new growth would always feel so dry & would tangle
I just knew that was what I had to look forward to... dry, tangled, unmanageable natural hair.

I was really surprised to see that was NOT the case.
(well, lemme say this... my natural hair will still dry, tangle & become unmanageable, however, NOW I know the proper techniques and products to use to fix those issues...)

I'm glad I stuck to my journey... cause my new growth during my relaxed days was very deceiving
Your hair is beautiful by the way!

I knew I had that type 4 hair (even before I knew that it was called type 4!) but when I first started looking at nappturality I was braided up. So I would look in some albums (yante coi, isis, anika) and I thought my hair would look like theirs. I thought, wow, all this time I had that type 3 hair. I guess we didn't know how to style it. :lol: I love my type 4 hair--dont get me wrong. I am more frustrated with length retention than texture.

Cichelle said:
I transitioned for 14 months, but I never really trusted what I saw because it just seemed to me when I cut off the relaxed ends, the look of my new growth would change. I think it's hard to know your real texture until all the relaxer is gone.

I agree with this! You never really know until you chop:)

Last edited:
I wasn't really surprised by my texture. My relaxed hair was curly so I figured once it grew out it would just be a tighter curl/ coil. However, I was surprised at it's manageability though. It has been super easy for me to maintain my hair since going natural, even as it grows out.

Peachtree your hair is beautiful, I was on your fotki and saw that you make your own butter. I copied the ingredients but was wondering about measurements. I'm tryina be like you homie! Also, what do you use for a daily moisturizer other than your butter?

danimani said:

I remember my hair being very thick as a child. I don't remember any coils except for in the back.

danimani said:

Yes, and no. No, because when I was relaxed I was able to use gel and scrunch to get big curls and my hair stayed straight pretty well. Yes, because I did not realize that I had several different textures on my head and I did expect the coils.

I transitioned for about 11 months and I can say that it gave me SOME idea about what my hair would look like, but in no way did I know how it would behave. For example, I think of shrinkage.

sorry to hijack the thread... but just wanted to know whether any of the naturals transitioned to SL or longer.

If so, how long was your transition?

Im thinking that, i don't want to have to chop lower than SL; but at t he same time want the transition to go as quick as possible :perplexed

Back