Weekly Heat Users

gemruby41

Are there any weekly users on this forum? Do you blow dry, flat iron, or do both once a week after washing your hair?

Please share some tips on how you keep your hair healthy using heat. How do you balance moisture and protein?

I don't heat style my hair now but considering it. I certainly will not be heat styling weekly but I came it just in case there are others on the forum who do it successfully. I will also need all the help I can get when I decide to start heat styling my hair.

I certainly hope to get some help in here.

I use heat weekly. I usually wash and dc, but sometimes I just wash and condition in the shower. I use heat protectant and I’m very patient when I detangle. I wash in sections. I pretty much do everything in sections. After I towel dry my hair a bit I work on one braided section at a time.

I detangle, add Chi silk infusion and blow dry. Then I braid it back and move to the next. I use as few as 8, but no more than 12 sections. If I’m tired after that I just go to bed and iron in the morning. If I have a date or something I get right to the straightening part. I never (very rarely less than 1%) wear my hair in its natural state. I’ve been natural going on 9 years in August. I haven’t rocked a wash n go since my twa days.

I use heat weekly. I usually wash and dc, but sometimes I just wash and condition in the shower. I use heat protectant and I’m very patient when I detangle. I wash in sections. I pretty much do everything in sections. After I towel dry my hair a bit I work on one braided section at a time.

I detangle, add Chi silk infusion and blow dry. Then I braid it back and move to the next. I use as few as 8, but no more than 12 sections. If I’m tired after that I just go to bed and iron in the morning. If I have a date or something I get right to the straightening part. I never (very rarely less than 1%) wear my hair in its natural state. I’ve been natural going on 9 years in August. I haven’t rocked a wash n go since my twa days.
Thanks for sharing @Prettymetty.

Thanks for sharing. Could you please share some more information on the following if you don’t mind?

1. how do you deal with reversion ?
2. how do you prevent heat damage?
3. what’s your hair type?

thanks

Thanks for sharing. Could you please share some more information on the following if you don’t mind?

1. how do you deal with reversion ?
2. how do you prevent heat damage?
3. what’s your hair type?

thanks
I’m 4b. Once it starts reverting (day 4 or 5) I just bun. I work in a restaurant so I bun daily anyway.

I don’t use extreme heat or iron sections more than twice. I also use quality products. That makes a big difference. I actually wouldn’t mind a little heat damage/heat training. Since I wear my hair straight mostly.

I’m 4b. Once it starts reverting (day 4 or 5) I just bun. I work in a restaurant so I bun daily anyway.

I don’t use extreme heat or iron sections more than twice. I also use quality products. That makes a big difference. I actually wouldn’t mind a little heat damage/heat training. Since I wear my hair straight mostly.
I also believe that quality products and tools matter when using heat.

I have a similar routine. I wash, condition, blow dry and flat iron weekly when I am not wearing braids. I am bsl with long layers. The shortest layer is apl. I used to be mbl but I had to cut the remaining color damage out of my hair. I usually wear my hair straight from October to May and box braids from June to October.

@Prettymetty

Which heat protectants do you use currently? The brand I used to use is no longer available.

I am a huge fan of chi silk infusion. I also occasionally use Suave keratin infusion cream or the Kerastase thermiques

Thanks a mil. Okay this one I have (bolded) on hand so I'll try it out as a heat protectant. I thought it was just a leave-in so I never considered using it as a heat protectant.

I also have some Kenra heat protectants including the thermal spray that I just bought. The Kenra ones used to be the talk on the board quite a few years ago when I first joined the board.

I diffuse my wash n go 1-2x a week. I’m impatient so I use the high heat setting.

Each time before I diffuse I shampoo, condition, and apply my gels. So far I haven’t noticed any damage to my curls, but I’ve only been diffusing regularly for 4 months now. I used to air dry.

Back