Wearing a Half Wig as a Protective Style?

I usually wear my half wigs about 2wks out of the month. I started using the technique mentioned with putting all of your hair back and placing the wig on top and cover with a headband. This has made less stress on my thin edges and I don't have to worry about blending my own hair.

I love my half wigs. I normally wear them when I'm in and out of sew ins. They look great and give me the opportunity to have access to my hair unlike the sew in.

I'm going back to my sew ins soon because the less I manipulate my hair the better. But until then, I'm bunning and half wigging.

One of these days I'm going to attempt to make a half wig.

^^^^^^^half wig
I am the princess or half wigs PRO hair braided in cornrows in the back i can co wash and mega tek(when i remember)
without to much manipulation
NO cons for me I use hair pins not the combs check out my pic is a half wig AND my album has some curly ones that i did a twist out in the front

NOW meet the queen...lol if its a wig its on her channel full half AND lace

http://www.youtube.com/user/muffinismylovers

VVV wavy half wig

yes, girl she is the one who made me want to try half wigs. Ateyaa too

I am so friggin' bored looking at myself with a bun.

Late 2008 and ALL of 2009 has been about postpartum shedding and trimming tangled damaged ends. Now I have a part of my nape that is clear from crazy breakage. So, I will definitely be using half wigs in 2010, while wearing cornrows underneath. I'm gonna try to track this journey of making a comeback with my damaged hair throughout 2010.

Loca, how has it been going?

HarlemHottie, your half wig is hawt!

Hey girl. I'm stretching now and I've been getting breakage due to lots of tangles, knots, matted hair. I was doing the no combing thing and even though low manipulation is generally good, my hair seemed to tangle more. I plan on relaxing soon.

I've been wearing the half wig for 6 months now and my edges are doing fine. I cut my hair in August because it was very uneven, because my sides broke off. Last year it fell out at the salon when the stylists didnt wash out the perm properly. It broke off to less than an inch and now it's about 4 inches. I'm a slow grower but all the parts that broke off are growing back.

Im sorry about your setback. I think now is a perfect time to wear wigs because it's getting colder. That cold air makes my hair very dry. So I'll be wigging it until April.

Try adding more moisturizer and conditioner to the nape separately. Thats how my nape grew back after it broke off.

I never wore one but i really want one. I've been stalking April on youtube since august.

http://www.youtube.com/user/muffinismylovers

her more recent ones are lacefronts but her older ones are all half wigs. check it out. you wont regret it!

I love me some Mrs.April!! She's flawless with her wigs and how she blends them. I have been known to watch her videos all day!!! :yep: I had to lay off because I'd truly be broke trying to buy all the ones she reviews.

Hey girl. I'm stretching now and I've been getting breakage due to lots of tangles, knots, matted hair. I was doing the no combing thing and even though low manipulation is generally good, my hair seemed to tangle more. I plan on relaxing soon.

I've been wearing the half wig for 6 months now and my edges are doing fine. I cut my hair in August because it was very uneven, because my sides broke off. Last year it fell out at the salon when the stylists didnt wash out the perm properly. It broke off to less than an inch and now it's about 4 inches. I'm a slow grower but all the parts that broke off are growing back.

Im sorry about your setback. I think now is a perfect time to wear wigs because it's getting colder. That cold air makes my hair very dry. So I'll be wigging it until April.

Try adding more moisturizer and conditioner to the nape separately. Thats how my nape grew back after it broke off.

Yeah, if your hair is prone to matting and tangling, like mine, then some combing is necessary. Its a balance. I am so very sorry to hear about your bad relaxer rinse out. :sad: It sounds like you're on it. Glad that you're gaining growth.

This year was a battle. The shedding was crazy and it still has not stopped. But I want to stop whining about it and go into full nurture mode. I've said that before but I mean it this time. Even if I have to spend the next year with safe protective styles, I will. I am on a mission. Let's keep an eye out on each other. I'm going to reopen my fotki and try to use that as my eyes to actually see the progress.

Ok. You ladies have convinced me to try a half wig. I'm around shoulder length and this is the absolute hardest length for me to over come. :wallbash:

Before I buy one I have a question. I really don't have much money to buy a really expensive one right now so I was wondering does anybody have any tips to make a synthetic wig look more natural? Or are there human hair wigs that are less than $40?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked!

Yeah, if your hair is prone to matting and tangling, like mine, then some combing is necessary. Its a balance. I am so very sorry to hear about your bad relaxer rinse out. :sad: It sounds like you're on it. Glad that you're gaining growth.

This year was a battle. The shedding was crazy and it still has not stopped. But I want to stop whining about it and go into full nurture mode. I've said that before but I mean it this time. Even if I have to spend the next year with safe protective styles, I will. I am on a mission. Let's keep an eye out on each other. I'm going to reopen my fotki and try to use that as my eyes to actually see the progress.

Thanks girl. I'm sure that your hair will recover.:yep:

Ok. You ladies have convinced me to try a half wig. I'm around shoulder length and this is the absolute hardest length for me to over come. :wallbash:

Before I buy one I have a question. I really don't have much money to buy a really expensive one right now so I was wondering does anybody have any tips to make a synthetic wig look more natural? Or are there human hair wigs that are less than $40?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked!

I bought a human hair wig for 27.99 on sale at hair sisters. It's 34.99 now.

I usually wear synthetic because I dont want to spend a lot of money. Sometimes I put some baby powder in it to make it less shiny but in all honestly, I'm pretty sure people can tell it's not my real hair. And I dont care I'm just trying to protect my ends.

You can always cut it and try to thin it out a little so that it can look more natural.

Also check out muffinismylovers on youtube. She blends hers really well.

I know :sad: I've been trying to figure out how to post them for about 3 hours now! :wallbash:

When I paste the URL's into a browser, the following message appears:
This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Thanks girl. I'm sure that your hair will recover.:yep:

I bought a human hair wig for 27.99 on sale at hair sisters. It's 34.99 now.

I usually wear synthetic because I dont want to spend a lot of money. Sometimes I put some baby powder in it to make it less shiny but in all honestly, I'm pretty sure people can tell it's not my real hair. And I dont care I'm just trying to protect my ends.

You can always cut it and try to thin it out a little so that it can look more natural.

Also check out muffinismylovers on youtube. She blends hers really well.

Thank you so much!

Ok so you know I usually cut out the combs in the wigs. I usually place the bobby clips on two sides of my head and one of my temples is kinda sore. I noticed it last week. And I think a small spot of my hairline is gone. It's very small though. I might be overreacting. The rest of my edges look fine. I asked my mom if my hairline looked thin and she said no.

I really want to keep using the wigs as a protective style especialy since it's cold now. I'm going to use bobbly pins instead of the clips. I think the pins put less stres son the hair. And I plan on changing where I put the pins. I was putting in the same spot for 6 months, no wonder it feels sore.

I hope my hairline doesn't recede. It's been 6 months and things were going good, I guess I gotta change up where I put the pins. I wore braids off and on for 15 years, it's a wonder I still have a hairline.

What do you ladies think?

Last edited:
Ok so you know I usually cut out the combs in the wigs. I usually place the bobby clips on two sides of my head and one of my temples is kinda sore. I noticed it last week. And I think a small spot of my hairline is gone. It's very small though. I might be overreacting. The rest of my edges look fine. I asked my mom if my hairline looked thin and she said no.

I really want to keep using the wigs as a protective style especialy since it's cold now. I'm going to use bobbly pins instead of the clips. I think the pins put less stres son the hair. And I plan on changing where I put the pins. I was putting in the same spot for 6 months, no wonder it feels sore.

I hope my hairline doesn't recede. It's been 6 months and things were going good, I guess I gotta change up where I put the pins. I wore braids off and on for 15 years, it's a wonder I still have a hairline.

What do you ladies think?

I say change up and use the bobby pins and you should be fine.

Half wigs didn't work for me no matter how I pinned it. It wrecked my edges. I get my wigs made now and they look just like full sew in weaves.

Pros:

Went from shoulder length to mbl wearing a half wig. Did not get any breakage. Putting oil on the combs was good advice. I wore a head band with my wig to conceal the line. Kept my real hair in a moisturized baggie the rest of the time.

Cons:

None.

Go for it!

I'm going looking for a half wig today!!:woohoo: I want one that looks like my texture so I can hide all of my hair under and use a headband :yep:

Last edited:
yeah i usually wear my 1/2 wigs when I am needing a relaxer and bad hair days ..there have been times when i have a big plastic cap underneath my wig and a headband to cover the hairline...lol

I think this weekend I will go and look for another, I got the BALI GIRL full wig cap not loving it (it's okay,ok) , so I think this weekend I am going to look for another hair piece.

:woohoo: here she is! just bought her this afternoon. Meet 'Penelope' :)

penelope1.jpg
1001982.jpg

I'm gonna put a bit of powder on so its a less shiny :yep:

The brand is FreeTress its a synthetic full cap. "Fresno Girl" the color is 2

It has two combs one in the front and back, as well as a drawstring.

Back