"We will not lose our love, our marriage, OVER HAIR"

TootiePie

"We will not lose our love, our marriage, OVER HAIR" Writer's response on PG 8.

I read this post over at Curly Nikki and it pissed me off. I just wanted to share. I left my comment over there already. ANNNNND GO!

Autumn writes:

I don’t even know what to call this. But it happened – FOR REAL.
Background:
I’m married – 5+ years – to a wonderful husband and father. I’m pregnant – 5 months now – with my second child and I’m an emotional rollercoaster. I’ve been natural – almost 1 year – and, although it took some time for me to feel this way, I LOVE my curls.
The Drama:
My husband works from home and has watched our 2-yr old daughter from birth (SN: She has curls too and he washes and styles her hair very well during the week). About a month ago, he sent me a text at work saying we needed to talk when I got home. So, I come from work on my lunch break like I normally do. We decided to leave the house to run some errands. In the car, I asked him what he wanted to talk about. Then he said the six words that literally threw me into an immediate emotional breakdown: “WE NEED TO SPLIT UP.” Huh? What? Where is this coming from? Instant flood of tears and hyperventilating.
He never wanted me to go natural. He doesn’t like “nappy” hair. He likes straight hair. He felt that I had totally ignored his feelings by going natural in the first place, but the fact that I’ve stayed natural, despite his disdain, is even worse. It doesn’t matter that everyone else around us likes my hair. He is my husband and his opinion should matter most. When he married me I had long, straight hair. He’s not attracted to me anymore because of my hair, and therefore he felt that the best solution was to split up, instead of being disgusted with the sight of me daily. But if I straighten my hair (it doesn’t have to be a relaxer), then everything will be ok and go back to normal. Blah, blah, blah. SN: Just the week before, his close friend’s wife chemically relaxed her hair after a year of being natural because she couldn’t stand the negative feedback from her husband.
Ok, ok, ok. He probably didn’t use those exact words. But I’m pregnant, so that’s what it sounded like. I emailed my boss from my phone and said I couldn’t come back to work for personal reasons. After running our errands, I dropped him and our daughter back off at the house and drove off to clear my mind. I won’t go into all the thoughts that led me to my next actions, but I will tell you what happened.
I LOVE THIS MAN. I CANNOT IMAGINE MY LIFE WITHOUT THIS MAN. I WILL NOT LOSE MY HUSBAND OVER HAIR. But I felt this was a deeper issue than hair, and I also felt that some information was missing from his little rant. So I went back home. I grabbed a pen and paper and went straight to our bedroom. I got in the bed under the covers and started writing. Right after I jotted down my last thought, he came in to check on me. He gave me a big hug, and waited for me to speak. Here’s what I wrote/said, and his answers.
-I have more going for me than the hair on my head. YES YOU DO.
-I’m beautiful, intelligent, stylish, in shape, a good mother, I bring home bacon just like you, and I cook it too. YES I AGREE.
-I’m pregnant with your child, how dare you bring this to me right now. I FELT LIKE YOU WERE IGNORING HOW I FELT ABOUT YOUR HAIR.
-My hair is beautiful and *I* LOVE it, no matter what anyone else says. I KNOW.
-Our daughter’s hair is beautiful, are you going to request that she straighten her hair? NO, HER HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL.
-Is your friend’s wife a better woman than I am because she relaxed her hair for her husband to make HIM happy, even though she will be unhappy? YES, I FEEL THAT WAY. BUT SHE IS NOT MY WIFE AND I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER WOMAN.
-Are you willing to give up our love, sex, family, home, future plans… all because of my hair?! NO, NEVER.
My response was: Then I cannot, WILL NOT get a chemical relaxer. So what is your REAL problem?
His response was: Well, it’s just that all the “different” styles you have been doing have been “nappy” styles. Can you please do some straight styles, and do them more often?
Of course! Why didn’t you say that in the first place boy?!
Ever since then, we’ve been back in love like usual. He touches my “nappy” hair and tells me I’m beautiful. And I still haven’t done a straight style yet, although I do plan to keep my promise – to prevent another childish rant.
Conclusion:
Turns out, he just did a really horrible job of expressing his feelings. And I did a really horrible job of acknowledging his feelings. We will not lose our love, our marriage, our life together… OVER HAIR.
Weigh in!

Last edited:

NIN4eva

"We need to split up" ? That was not about her ignoring his feelings about her hair. He's trying to get out and was testing the waters...

LadyPaniolo

SMDH. That marriage is in for more troubles. The hair is just a symptom. His being a selfish obnoxious :censored: is the real issue :imo:

Prudent1

Truly I hope this is fabricated by "Autumn" and not real. **blinks slowly** Cause Autumn and Mr Autumn have way more to be concerned about besides nappy hair if this is indicative of their communication style and skills.:ohwell: To suggest separation (in a marriage, not your live in, not your SO, but your spouse) b/c of hairstyles:perplexed?? How old is this couple? I mean for real tho'. #ijustcan't

Geminigirl

I'm not sure what to say, but I wish a ***** would. You wanna split up are you serious? Those are serious words. that's not baby we need to talk, I agree with someone else, he's tryna get out of there.

JinaRicci

I can't even relate. How could a 'wonderful husband' want to split up over hair? Anyway, I think he's just waiting till after the baby is born, this is not over. What are ppl telling her on Curly Nikki?

TootiePie

PPL at CN pretty much think that there is another issue at hand and the hair thing is just an excuse.

sweetvi

wow i can believe it.......my ex hated fake hair and was obsessed with long hair . so i fed into that notion getting it straightened every two weeks. hence his controlling nature...working out and how i dressed...... im glad she did not let him win on that issue but this is only the beginning......he might stay now but she is going to have to step her game up because he will Leave for the next silliest thing !

LittleLuxe

...is this even real?

Seems like there are too many inconsistencies and aspects to this that make it sound more like a good story than a real occurrence.

Either way, shrugs, glad two ignorant people found eachother.

guyanesesista

He is a wuss with serious control issues. As was said before her hair is not the issue. He wants to see women with straight hair(yes I said it) and is reaching for a reason to leave. How dare he do that to her? He has the nerve to say she was ignoring his feelings? Really? How about the fact that he wants to leaves WHILE SHE IS PREGNANT? I guess he feels that's ok.

MrsHouston

"We need to split up" ? That was not about her ignoring his feelings about her hair. He's trying to get out and was testing the waters...

This is really sad, but I agree with you. I think there is more to the story. I do believe this could affect some men, but something about this story is not on point. Especially how he quickly goes from, "I want to separate" to hugging her. JUST WOW!

Tiye

That was real?? smh If it is - I'd sneak a peek at his computer and see who he's been chatting with while he's supposedly "working from home". Just a thought ....

kandake

He's an insensitive jerk. And she still talking about how wonderful he is.

Nonetheless, I hope it works out for them.

againstallodds

o_O

Love, honest love, accepting love, demands no change in the other. Her husband is supposed to uplift her; if she feels comfortable with her hair, he needs to support that, love that trait. They're MARRIED for goodness sakes, not dating... SMH. If my husband, whose child I'm currently carrying, tells me he's leaving me for my hair, all types of red flags will be going off in my mind. SMH.

Iwanthealthyhair67

HUH?

is he serious how SHALLOW is that...

I read this post over at Curly Nikki and it pissed me off. I just wanted to share. I left my commet over there already. ANNNNND GO!

Autumn writes:

I don’t even know what to call this. But it happened – FOR REAL.
Background:
I’m married – 5+ years – to a wonderful husband and father. I’m pregnant – 5 months now – with my second child and I’m an emotional rollercoaster. I’ve been natural – almost 1 year – and, although it took some time for me to feel this way, I LOVE my curls.
The Drama:
My husband works from home and has watched our 2-yr old daughter from birth (SN: She has curls too and he washes and styles her hair very well during the week). About a month ago, he sent me a text at work saying we needed to talk when I got home. So, I come from work on my lunch break like I normally do. We decided to leave the house to run some errands. In the car, I asked him what he wanted to talk about. Then he said the six words that literally threw me into an immediate emotional breakdown: “WE NEED TO SPLIT UP.” Huh? What? Where is this coming from? Instant flood of tears and hyperventilating.
He never wanted me to go natural. He doesn’t like “nappy” hair. He likes straight hair. He felt that I had totally ignored his feelings by going natural in the first place, but the fact that I’ve stayed natural, despite his disdain, is even worse. It doesn’t matter that everyone else around us likes my hair. He is my husband and his opinion should matter most. When he married me I had long, straight hair. He’s not attracted to me anymore because of my hair, and therefore he felt that the best solution was to split up, instead of being disgusted with the sight of me daily. But if I straighten my hair (it doesn’t have to be a relaxer), then everything will be ok and go back to normal. Blah, blah, blah. SN: Just the week before, his close friend’s wife chemically relaxed her hair after a year of being natural because she couldn’t stand the negative feedback from her husband.
Ok, ok, ok. He probably didn’t use those exact words. But I’m pregnant, so that’s what it sounded like. I emailed my boss from my phone and said I couldn’t come back to work for personal reasons. After running our errands, I dropped him and our daughter back off at the house and drove off to clear my mind. I won’t go into all the thoughts that led me to my next actions, but I will tell you what happened.
I LOVE THIS MAN. I CANNOT IMAGINE MY LIFE WITHOUT THIS MAN. I WILL NOT LOSE MY HUSBAND OVER HAIR. But I felt this was a deeper issue than hair, and I also felt that some information was missing from his little rant. So I went back home. I grabbed a pen and paper and went straight to our bedroom. I got in the bed under the covers and started writing. Right after I jotted down my last thought, he came in to check on me. He gave me a big hug, and waited for me to speak. Here’s what I wrote/said, and his answers.
-I have more going for me than the hair on my head. YES YOU DO.
-I’m beautiful, intelligent, stylish, in shape, a good mother, I bring home bacon just like you, and I cook it too. YES I AGREE.
-I’m pregnant with your child, how dare you bring this to me right now. I FELT LIKE YOU WERE IGNORING HOW I FELT ABOUT YOUR HAIR.
-My hair is beautiful and *I* LOVE it, no matter what anyone else says. I KNOW.
-Our daughter’s hair is beautiful, are you going to request that she straighten her hair? NO, HER HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL.
-Is your friend’s wife a better woman than I am because she relaxed her hair for her husband to make HIM happy, even though she will be unhappy? YES, I FEEL THAT WAY. BUT SHE IS NOT MY WIFE AND I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER WOMAN.
-Are you willing to give up our love, sex, family, home, future plans… all because of my hair?! NO, NEVER.
My response was: Then I cannot, WILL NOT get a chemical relaxer. So what is your REAL problem?
His response was: Well, it’s just that all the “different” styles you have been doing have been “nappy” styles. Can you please do some straight styles, and do them more often?
Of course! Why didn’t you say that in the first place boy?!
Ever since then, we’ve been back in love like usual. He touches my “nappy” hair and tells me I’m beautiful. And I still haven’t done a straight style yet, although I do plan to keep my promise – to prevent another childish rant.
Conclusion:
Turns out, he just did a really horrible job of expressing his feelings. And I did a really horrible job of acknowledging his feelings. We will not lose our love, our marriage, our life together… OVER HAIR.
Weigh in!

daydreem2876

carpe diem
o_O

Love, honest love, accepting love, demands no change in the other. Her husband is supposed to uplift her; if she feels comfortable with her hair, he needs to support that, love that trait. They're MARRIED for goodness sakes, not dating... SMH. If my husband, whose child I'm currently carrying, tells me he's leaving me for my hair, all types of red flags will be going off in my mind. SMH.

Like I said "ninja, bye"

Becuase like everybody else said... he is manipulative, controlling, testing the waters, and there's a strong possibility of him cheating. He's messing with her head, about to give her all types of self esteem issues, and have her doing backflips to keep him while he does what he wants to do anyway.

Personally, I would rather skip all of that, cut my losses, and try again while I am still young and of sound mind... Again, "NINJA, BYE"

Guitarhero

^^For realz, he was just hoping this was his time to get out. He'll come up with another one and it won't be about looks or anything. He was testing the waters. Home chittlin' needs to get to a lawyer and review her needs right now cuz you never know. See, this is one reason I don't do AA men...not at all.

Tamster

biggest side eye to him. second biggest side eye to her for believe that ish, but i guess sometimes you ignore the most obvious sh!t for comfort... sigh...

guyanesesista

Like I said "ninja, bye"

Becuase like everybody else said... he is manipulative, controlling, testing the waters, and there's a strong possibility of him cheating. He's messing with her head, about to give her all types of self esteem issues, and have her doing backflips to keep him while he does what he wants to do anyway.

Personally, I would rather skip all of that, cut my losses, and try again while I am still young and of sound mind... Again, "NINJA, BYE"

daydreem2876 - he probably is.

lesedi

All is well with me