Wave Nouveau What?? Advice Someone Please!

mscocoface

I came into town and saw my mother. She use to have a head full of white hair thick.

She has been using something called Wave Nouveau (or newvo) I don't know what the spelling of this stuff is.

Anyway, she shows me her head and asks me why is her hair coming out in clumps! :eek:

I immediately, but in a nice and hopefully calm fashion say, you may need to take out this chemical. I told her she needed an aphogee treatment but I wanted her to check with her stylists because I have no idea what a WN is.

She asks me to talk with her stylist so I get on the phone with her and she says if the breakages is from the root of her hair it is an internal issue if it is not then she should get the treatment.

I wanted to scream. Obviously she does not know the process of normally shedding hair.

I told her she needed a protein treatment to stop this breakage immediately and would aphogee have an adverse effect with the chemical that is in her hair now?

She said it would not but to be sure to use a moisturizer afterwards. DUH!:mad:

I tell my mother what she says and my mother asks well can my stylist put the aphogee treatment in my hair? I ask the stylist and she said yes. They set up the appointment for next week.

I leave the room while they are doing this trying to calm down, my mother gets off the phone and shows my this clump of broken hair, I want to cry and she says do you see any bulbs from the root of my hair? :mad:

I am steaming but nicely say to my mother, no this is all breakage and you need something in your hair immediately. She says she is going to this stylist next week.

I tell her again, to please consider taking this chemical out of her hair and to be very careful combing the top of her head. She is literally thinning at the top. I have never seen my mother's scalp because she has such thick hair!

I am trying to be supportive here but ooohhhh it drives me crazy when someone sees their stylist almost like a dope pusher and just won't stop the madness.

I realize for some it may be too late my mother is in her 70's and I am not in town to help her through this process. I just hate seeing all that beautiful silver gray mane dwindle down to nothing.

She has not changed her diet in the last week and has not been taking any type of additional medication. The only thing she did do was go to get a touch up about a week ago and the stylist had her in the chair from 11:30 - 4:30 PM. The owner of the store had to tell my mother's stylist that this is just tooo long for someone to be getting their hair done.

Everytime I think about this I get upset.:mad:

I am not sure what else to tell my mother because I have never heard of this NW process and have no clue how to navigate her through it if she continues with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What is NW anyway another version of a Jeri Curl?

You cannot take a chemical out of your hair, that is why people have to transition and cut.

Wave nouveau is a curly perm similar to a jherri curl, but more waves less curls. It was really popular back in the day.

this is somewhat like a relaxer(you cant get rid of a relaxer without transitioning) this is a curl...

My mom has been getting curls for the past 10 to 15 years and usually what happens when she just gets a curl done she has some shedding and dryness and has to keep her hair moisturized....(im talking she could come home and the hair is looking and feeling frizzy and dry in less than 2 hours)

if its freshly rodded(or just done) its going to be very soft to touch and also seem as though you can see the persons scalp until it starts to thicken and get older....

once she tries the treatment make sure you tell her to moisturize her hair...with a Wave Nouveau it doesnt require as much hair products as a Jherri curl and it waves more than anything...

Nonie said:
Just to reiterate what others have said on steps to take now, here's a discussion that sort of echoes your mom's experience and the advice given: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hairstyling-1565/Care-Wave-Nouveau-1.htm

Well it sounds like I gave her sound advice. I know she would have to transition I am just not sure she will do this.

I also told her to baby the top of her head, which is where it is coming out. She is very thin at the top but very very thick around the edges.

Appreciate at the advice ladies. Thanks again.

Wow, I had a WN in the late 80's, early 90's...I didn't know it was still around! :eek:

When I had mine, I had to keep it moisturized witha special activator, it was almost like having a jheri curl, but less drippy and wet. Is she using anything like that on her hair? If not, it's going to get too dry and fall out. :ohwell:

I had one of these things and went from a beautiful natural head of hair at almost ApL to BC in less than a year!!:mad: :mad: This was when I finally decided that wasn't going to let another stylist F up my hair! I had clumps of hair that had broken off and literally when I touched it hair would just snap off! I had areas where is had completely just broke off in quarter sizes and bigger. It was due to them not properly washing out the chemicals and over processing my hair by repeatedly putting the solution on already processed hair. It was terrible!:( :( :( I hope you catch your moms problem in time. I had to start all over by cutting all my hair off and wearing a wig for a year or year and a half. Sometimes I can't help but be resentful of these trif a** stylist! I know hair is never as important as a person's life, but what really stung for me was I was treated like me loosing my hair was no big deal as I watched my hair just fall off my head. They offered me nothing to try and correct the situation would just throw the chemical back in when I went. No treatments no nothing. It was horrible!!

Back