Washing Silk Scarves

kikisf

My silk scarves are getting...well...stinky.
The polyester satin ones are no problem. I throw them in the regular wash in a lingerie bag and they wind up clean as a whistle. The 100% silk scarves I handwash in cold water with Method laundry soap or Woolite. But that doesn't seem to be enough to clean all the the oils and dirt out of the scarf. I bumped it up to warm but they still are a bit stinky. I don't want to ruin them with hot water because they were not cheap. I probably should buy some cheaper silk scarfs to wear in my hair at night and save the nice ones for my neck but either way.

1. How do you wash your silk scarves?
2. Does anyone have the lowdown on where to get extra-large 100% real silk scarves for cheap?

Thanks!!!!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I use/used: Shampoo (I was trying to get rid of) or Dishwashing Liquid like Dawn to cut the Grease.

I would soak them overnight in a bucket and then wash them by hand.

I did it weekly, so it wasn't a problem getting the Oils out. But they eventually 'tore'/split though (after all the manipulation).

I was getting mine (100% Silk) on the Clearance Rack at either Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

kikisf

Thanks so much. I don't know why I didn't think of shampoo? And I like the products on her website. Perfect for Christmas gifts.

NaturalBritt87

kikisf your most welcomed! I learned of her site from here. I can't remember who posted about her items. She has really good prices. I was a little indecisive for too long and the bonnet color I wanted is now sold out. I think I may choose another color rather than wait for it to be restocked. Her shipping is reasonable for my area too.

Angelbean

For my silk/blend scarves they go straight in the washer...but my silks I hand wash in lukewarm water with Castile soap and it works wonders

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
This is how I wash my silk scarves:

Hand wash in sink with either African black soap or Dr Bronner's eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree or rose Castile soap. These EOs have grease cutting, moth repelling & antimicrobial properties.

Then I add 1tbs of white vinegar to the basin and rinse. Vinegar is a natural fabric softener. It removes soap scum & hard water deposits.

Next I get a towel, fold it around the scarf & press out the excess H2O.
Finally I hang to dry.

I get silk scarves on clearance from Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, Ross, Talbots, TJ Maxx, NY& Co, thrift & consignment stores.

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

kikisf

This is how I wash my silk scarves:

Hand wash in sink with either African black soap or Dr Bronner's eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree or rose Castile soap. These EOs have grease cutting, moth repelling & antimicrobial properties.

Then I add 1tbs of white vinegar to the basin and rinse. Vinegar is a natural fabric softener. It removes soap scum & hard water deposits.

Next I get a towel, fold it around the scarf & press out the excess H2O.
Finally I hang to dry.

I get silk scarves on clearance from Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, Ross, Talbots, TJ Maxx, NY& Co, thrift & consignment stores.

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.
rose does too ??? that is good info to have. looks like that vinegar step is what i have been especially mising.
i scour the thrift stores but when i find them they are so pretty (and thin) that I hate ruining them.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
kikisf

yes pure rose (Otto & Absolute) essential oil has those properties. It was used (like true & spike lavender, patchouli, cedarwood, rosemary, frankincense, myrrh, wormwood, agarwood, etc.) to preserve fine fabrics. Now rose oil is reserved for cosmetics because of its prohibitive cost.