Wash and go styles

How did it come out? I presume the towel is cotton...it isn't making your hair frizzy when you leave it on overnight?

lkg4healthyhair said:
Cool....

Okay I am trying it again right now to try and get some pics.

I added another product...Garnier Fructis Style Curl Construct Mousse - ... :look:

I added it after the dream curls and my hair started to curl right then and there...I also ordered the curly pudding which I am going to try without a towel (plopping method).

After the Dream curls and Garnier I started scruncing and the curls were really coming. I just put the towel on for the night. I will use the gel and scrunch in the am.

I wonder if I cold do this and use a diffuser to dry. This would be a perfect style after the gym. I will try that next time.

Dolapo said:
i see most people talking about using microfiber towels for this on other hair sites
Thanks. I know the wrap on microfiber is that it's super absorbant. Does anyone know if it's gentle on hair?

My hair is basically bone straight. Is there any hopes of me achieving at least a wavy look? So basically have any straight-haired ladies succeeded in getting this technique to work?

luvSLave said:
How did it come out? I presume the towel is cotton...it isn't making your hair frizzy when you leave it on overnight?

Okay I have been wearing a wash and go all weekend :grin:. I think I found my new weekend hair style. My hair came out pretty good althought sleeping in the towel is not necessary.

What I am doing now is wash, condition, add products (only need to wash once, the next days just touch up). I am using Dream curls and Garnier curl booster mousse and it is really good. Not only does it bring out the curl in my hair but it holds it as well like gel.

At night I just twist my hair up (on top of my head) and pin it and sleep in silk scarf. In the am I take out the pins. The curl pattern is still there. Then I add a little more of the mousse and Smooth and Shine gel and scrunch like crazy. I feel the scrunching is really what brings the curls for me.

The front would not curl at all then I just put it in my hand and scrunched it and held it there for a minute (in my fist) and the curl/wave appeared.

Then I just let it dry. After it is dry I added NTM shine serum to add shine and that is it..When I add the product my hair is not really wet. I don't use the dream curls again because I dont want to wait for it to dry. I just use the garnier.

Here are some pics. Though I don't think they really show how nice it came out. It gives you an idea of how straight my hair was the how much I got it to curl.

Wash and go pics\
pswd: hair

ETA: After playing with my hair now is not as short looking. It sits on my shoulder. I will have to take more pics. When I first tried the style it was part wavy, part afro and part curly but after playing with the products I think now I know how to get it the way I want it and I really like it alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
CheerHHS said:
My hair is basically bone straight. Is there any hopes of me achieving at least a wavy look? So basically have any straight-haired ladies succeeded in getting this technique to work?

I am not sure but I would suggest you give it a try and see if it curls or waves. Even with the wash n go style the front of my hair would not curl AT ALL. I wanted to wear it out with a bang or at least a side part so I added the products and kept scrunching that part. I would just hold it in my fist and keep doing this every now and then while it was still damp. After that I got a wave and then curl.

You can purchase a curl enhancing product and take it back if it does not work. I would suggest trying the dream curls or garnier curl mousse and smooth and shine gel.

HTH

lkg, girl thanks for the pics. This is a great weekend summer look - very cute! Last question, once your hair is completely dry, how does it feel? Whenever I've airdied with my hair completely loose it was a really dry. Don't want to do more harm than good trying to be cute:lol: . Thanks for all the tips.

luvSLave said:
lkg, girl thanks for the pics. This is a great weekend summer look - very cute! Last question, once your hair is completely dry, how does it feel? Whenever I've airdied with my hair completely loose it was a really dry. Don't want to do more harm than good trying to be cute:lol: . Thanks for all the tips.

At first it was very dry (especially in the sun). I added a little moist NTM then NTM shine serum. After trying it a few time my curls hair was not dry anymore.

Thanks

bumping since it's summer.
I always thought wash n go was only for curly heads or white/latino girls. I can't wait to try this, it makes sense it would work on relaxed hair as well. I think Paul Mitchell's sculpting foam mousse is good for this, it has hold but no alcohol and leaves my hair very shiny.

I do this a lot, but I would really encourage people to be careful. It's cute so you're tempted to do it often, but I noticed that it caused my hair to become tangled easier. Be careful to use a really good detangling moisturizer (I like Hawaiian Silky's 14-in-1 Miracle Worker) and not just a gel or mousee, and try to keep the strands detangled and separated as you're doing the style.

Good points. Same thing can happen to my hair with braid outs, I try not to keep the style in longer than 2-3 days and then I saturate my hair with conditioner and comb it out before shampooing. I haven't tried the wash n go style yet.

HighlyFavored1 said:
I do this a lot, but I would really encourage people to be careful. It's cute so you're tempted to do it often, but I noticed that it caused my hair to become tangled easier. Be careful to use a really good detangling moisturizer (I like Hawaiian Silky's 14-in-1 Miracle Worker) and not just a gel or mousee, and try to keep the strands detangled and separated as you're doing the style.

I did my first wash and go last night and was pretty stunned by how well it came out!

I'm relaxed, it was late and I didn't feel like rollersetting. I'd read this thread before and bought the JF Frizz Ease and Dream Curls to try. Last night I gave it a go and kept it really simple: I towel-dried my hair, applied the serum and then spritzed with the Dream Curls. Then I scrunched and scrunched and scrunched some more as it dried, and voila! Waves and little curls are everywhere.

I wasn't sure how to sleep in this, and the ends were still straigher than I'd want (next time I'll try scrunching them a bit better), so this morning I kinda had to work on it a bit and pull it half-back to look presentable. But anyone who saw me would swear my hair was naturally curly--AND this look just happens to knock off at least 5 years! No tangles, either, tho the back of the crown was frizzier than I'd have liked.

I've got to keep tweaking and working at it, but I love love LOVE this. For the first time I feel truly free when it comes to last-minute washes or vacation styling options. I can actually wash my hair away from home now without lugging around a bunch of crap to style it. It's a beautiful thing.

I am bumping this because I am ESTATIC to try this.

I have a few questions, since I am a PJ on a budget, I was wondering should I get the mousse or gel.

I have a good serum that I love, and I am going to get the garnier curl cream, but should I get the mousse,gel, or both?

londonbabe said:
Hi Ladies

What do you mean by 'scrunching'? Is that an American term:confused: ?

Thanks in advance!

You hold your palm open and then cup the ends of your hair and close your fists, kind of scrunching the hair together and pushing it upwards. It encourages the formation of the curls. Here's a link to instructions and pictures of scrunching, I was under the impression that this was only for women with naturally straight or wavy hair but it works really well on my relaxed hair if I have the right styling aids.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4077.asp

I see that all lot of the ladies are using the JF Dream Curls for their wash and go styles. There use to be another product from the JF relaxed line that I used ( in the purple bottle ) but it got discontinued and I purchased JF Dream Curls (in the white bottle) but it made my hair so dry that I had to add EVOO to the solution. And I don't see the point of the serum (which I purchased also). So I'll never use that product line again.

I just finished the bottle and purchased a product by Fructis and I hate it. I love this style for the summer and am discouraged I can't find a replacement product. I think I will try the KMS curl balm.

I'll let you know how it works!!

I tried the wash and go....my hair looked a hot mess! Part afro, part curly, part straight. Moreso, the Dream Curls made my hair very hard and dry. Hated my hair feeling like that. Don't know what I did wrong. The whole process seemed to take more time that my usual blow dry and curl. I'll give it another try sometime in the future but this definitely did not simplify the hair styling process at all for me. I guess my hair may be too thick because I was scrunching for at least 30-45 minutes.

When I do my wash in go's.... while my hair is wet I apply NTM leave-in, then I apply relaxed and natural's moisturizer and scrunch. During the day I may scrunch it to make it full/big. At night I just pull it back and do it all over again the next morning.

planodiva said:
I see that all lot of the ladies are using the JF Dream Curls for their wash and go styles. There use to be another product from the JF relaxed line that I used ( in the purple bottle ) but it got discontinued and I purchased JF Dream Curls (in the white bottle) but it made my hair so dry that I had to add EVOO to the solution. And I don't see the point of the serum (which I purchased also). So I'll never use that product line again.

I just finished the bottle and purchased a product by Fructis and I hate it. I love this style for the summer and am discouraged I can't find a replacement product. I think I will try the KMS curl balm.

I'll let you know how it works!!

You're talking about Ripple Effect. I still have a bottle in my drawer from about 2 years ago. It made my hair sticky though. Thanks to whoever bumped this thread up. :kiss: My wash and go's always look good until they dry completely. Then they look frizzy. I have the Relax serum and a bottle of dreamcurls at home. I'm gonna try a wash n go again next time I wash my hair.

Last edited:
Back